Jeffery Lord In Hospital

So sorry to read this...

He is a wonderful chef, full of creativity.

I had the pleasure to meet him several times at his humble beginnings... beginning of this century.

Now, I can just only wish that he will be able to go back behind his "piano" in a near future.

I am very sorry to read about this accident of Jeffery. Personal I don`t know him, but every time I have to read about this, I feel sorry for the person that matters and of course the family.

I don`t want to come up with this moral talk, but every body who lives on this island should know that driving motorbike here put them self in great danger. And this regards also my self. My remark to this is;

PLEASE, PLEASE , PUT ON A HELMET. AND TO ALL TOURISTS WHO COMES HERE MAKE YOUR CHILDREN WEAR THIS IF YOU TAKE THEM ON A TRIP ON MOTORBIKE.

Life is to valuable to waste it. I wish you all a pleasant stay in this wonderful island.

I am very sorry to read about this accident of Jeffery. Personal I don`t know him, but every time I have to read about this, I feel sorry for the person that matters and of course the family.

I don`t want to come up with this moral talk, but every body who lives on this island should know that driving motorbike here put them self in great danger. And this regards also my self. My remark to this is;

PLEASE, PLEASE , PUT ON A HELMET. AND TO ALL TOURISTS WHO COMES HERE MAKE YOUR CHILDREN WEAR THIS IF YOU TAKE THEM ON A TRIP ON MOTORBIKE.

Life is to valuable to waste it. I wish you all a pleasant stay in this wonderful island.

totally agree, but when the police DO NOT CARE it is very difficult.......

they should do a set of hard hitting billboards showing the results of wearing and not wearing a helmet during a crash ??? ... similar to the old safty adverts in the uk... at least people would see the damage nd possibly think twice

they should do a set of hard hitting billboards showing the results of wearing and not wearing a helmet during a crash ???

They tried that in Vietnam, with little success. I think the Buddhist mentally of "when it happens, it was meant to" is too strong in this part of the world.

Best wishes to Jeffery.

they should do a set of hard hitting billboards showing the results of wearing and not wearing a helmet during a crash ??? ... similar to the old safty adverts in the uk... at least people would see the damage nd possibly think twice

Boater Sorry mate but I have to disagree with you on this one. It has nothing to do with the police not enforcing the law it is up to the individual to take his own safety in hand. It is no excuse to say I dont wear a helmet because the police don't make me ? I cringe when I see tourists riding round with their kids on these bikes without helmets. People now don't seem to think that they are responsible for their actions anymore ? It is always the fault of somebody else and not theirs.

Yes its hot but I would rather be hot than dead. I have 3 helmets I wear. A cheap Thai helmet for going to 7/11 or local, an expensive Thai helmet for anytime I hit the ring road and a very expensive UK bought helmet for when I hit the mainland.

I hope he guy gets better soon and maybe it will be a warning to those who don't wear a helmet on their bikes

Rant over :)

Boater Sorry mate but I have to disagree with you on this one. It has nothing to do with the police not enforcing the law it is up to the individual to take his own safety in hand. It is no excuse to say I dont wear a helmet because the police don't make me ? I cringe when I see tourists riding round with their kids on these bikes without helmets. People now don't seem to think that they are responsible for their actions anymore ? It is always the fault of somebody else and not theirs.

Yes its hot but I would rather be hot than dead. I have 3 helmets I wear. A cheap Thai helmet for going to 7/11 or local, an expensive Thai helmet for anytime I hit the ring road and a very expensive UK bought helmet for when I hit the mainland.

I hope he guy gets better soon and maybe it will be a warning to those who don't wear a helmet on their bikes

I understand where you are coming from here but the job of the police force is not just to stop crime, but also to enforce the law on the roads, thereby protecting people from themselves and hopefully thus drastically reducing the carnage now happening on our roads.

My best wishes go to this guy and his family

I see it like this.

If the government put an advertisement campaign together in all languages, Billboards etc etc

Starting from a stated date Anyone driving a bike without a crash helmet will be fined and have their bike confiscated only to be returned when the rider returns with a crash helmet.

The 200/500 baht fines just don’t work.

Any company renting out these death machines should also give at no additional cost a good quality helmet, if the renter refuses to take the helmet then they should refuse to give him/her the bike

For this to work it will need a lot of effort by the MIB

The only way for people to learn is to hit them hard in the pocket!

I understand where you are coming from here but the job of the police force is not just to stop crime, but also to enforce the law on the roads, thereby protecting people from themselves and hopefully thus drastically reducing the carnage now happening on our roads.

My best wishes go to this guy and his family

Yes but that is putting the reasponsibility on someone else when you should really take the reasponsibility yourself, as the Duncster said..

I hope thi sGuy makes a good recovery.

they should do a set of hard hitting billboards showing the results of wearing and not wearing a helmet during a crash ???

They tried that in Vietnam, with little success.

ya, well I just got back from Ho Chi Minh and they figured it it out and it works, they have "police" that stand at various corners with wooden poles that wack anyone on the head not wearing a helmet, REALLY! And, go figure, pretty much all of the cattle population was wearing helmets! :D Got to LOVE and admire that on a certain level :) ... :D ...ya, I know...hope Jeffrey recovers soon too. :D

ya, well I just got back from Ho Chi Minh and they figured it it out and it works

When I said it didn't work, I was referring to the billboards with photos of accident victims. When they put those up, not one more person put on a helmet.

Police at every corner works, but this depends very much what province you are in. Go to Binh Thuan and you will see lots of people without helmets as the Police are all hanging out in Karaoke Bars.

I heard the accident was extremely serious, severe head injuries, caused by a collision with a dog.

Incidently this is the second serious accident that has happened to people I know involving dogs this month.

Does anyone have more info on Jeffries condition?

Sorry Dunc mate but Im afraid I must disagree. The failiure of the police to enforce the law contributes directly to the amount of injuries and deaths on the roads here. Im with you that people must accept a large amount individual responsability but, as Carmines post suggests, Laws are made to protect people not only from others but from themselves. The lack of law enforcement regarding motorbikes only acts as a green light for people to endanger their lives unecessarily. Back home I dont see too many people driving bikes on the roads without helmets on. Consistant law enforcement acts a deterant. Glad to hear your doing the sensible thing in protecting yourself tho. Wish everybody else would follow suit.

I only had the pleasure of meeting Jeffrey once but have visited his place a few times. Such a nice man and so sad to hear this news.

I only hope he can make a quick recover from his injuries.

I heard the accident was extremely serious, severe head injuries, caused by a collision with a dog.

Incidently this is the second serious accident that has happened to people I know involving dogs this month.

Does anyone have more info on Jeffries condition?

It's not good. Severe head trauma. Jeffrey is in a deep coma at the moment.

We're all praying for him.

Matt.

I have been told that Bkk Air in flight mag has a section on the top 10 things about samui and that Jeffery is listed as one of them, lets all hope that he recovers, even if it looks to be against all odds at the moment.

Would you please keep us updated MM.

I have been told that Bkk Air in flight mag has a section on the top 10 things about samui and that Jeffery is listed as one of them, lets all hope that he recovers, even if it looks to be against all odds at the moment.

Here it is...

http://check.fahthaimagazine.com/2009/09/01/10-asian-gems/

9 THE CHEF

koh samui

24.jpg

Jeff Lord can't remember the last time he took time off. But there's no need for sympathy; in a place like Samui, every day is a holiday. The Californian-born chef and his wife Samruay run Betel Nut in Koh Samui. Residents say they serve the best meal on the island.

What is the best thing about living in Samui? The weather, the water and the local markets. Like most chefs, my kitchen is my home and I seldom take a night off; I enjoy what I do so much that I don't know what I'd do on holiday, except perhaps eat. Recommended day trip from Samui? A boat ride to the national park islands; Mu Ko Ang Thong, for example.

Your favourite restaurant? I like The Shack Bar and Grill in Fisherman's Village for its casual, uncomplicated, satisfying food. For Thai, I think Sabienlai by Hinta Hinyai is hard to beat. Authentic Samui gem? The outdoor markets around the island, particularly Nathon, Big Buddha and Lam Din in Chaweng, where most locals shop for food. There's a great vibe, everyone knows each other, and there's lots of chat and cooperation among the vendors.

So sorry to read this...

He is a wonderful chef, full of creativity.

I had the pleasure to meet him several times at his humble beginnings... beginning of this century.

Now, I can just only wish that he will be able to go back behind his "piano" in a near future.

I second this.

He is one of my two favorite chefs here, and I always recommend his food.

Immense creativity.

My best wish for his recovery,

and for the worries for him, his family and staff.

Any word on his progress.

I guess we can assume it is an induced coma, to protect him while his brain heals.

A fairly SOP procedure in bad head trama. Lets hope for the best.

And send up hopeful thoughts, or what each chooses, to the entity of their choice,

for his well being.