Equipment For Fishing

doppa

I can't honestly tell you. I haven't seen any shops in Thailand that sell fly fishing gear. My Thai friends import it, and I always bring my own. You might be able to buy a few flies from the Thai companies that make them, but as far as fly rods, reels and lines are concerned I think you are out of luck. I'm thinking of bringing some of my excess fly gear and just leaving it in Thailand. The problem with fly rods is airlines are not good at handling the narrow, fly rod containers. That is why I have multi-piece rods that fit in my luggage. Sorry I can't be of more help.

There is a small shop in the Ruamchok [sp?] Rimping complex on the Maejo road. Chatted with the guy, as his English was excellent. Has lots of fishing stuff and was quite friendly. The shop is opposite the rear of Rimping. If he doesn't have it he'll know if or where in CM it can be located.

good luck....finding and fishing.

By the way, what kind of fish would you fish for with a fly??

There is a small shop in the Ruamchok [sp?] Rimping complex on the Maejo road. Chatted with the guy, as his English was excellent. Has lots of fishing stuff and was quite friendly. The shop is opposite the rear of Rimping. If he doesn't have it he'll know if or where in CM it can be located.

Many Thai species will take flies, but only a few are truly sporting fish. These are just a few I've taken on flies.

Angler fish (up to 12 inches long)

Archer_fish_Em.sized.jpg

Jungle perch

Jungle_perch_4.sized.jpg

Giant snakehead

Ian_with_Snakehead_1.sized.jpg

Common snakehead

Common_snakehead.sized.jpg

Pacu (piranha species that grows up to 10 pounds)

Pirhana_with_Sage_Em.sized.jpg

Malaysian bony tongue (similar to South American Arawana)

Strange_fish.sized.jpg

Mekong catfish (Pla buk)

Ian_with_Pla_Buk_1.sized.jpg

In some of the pay for play fishing parks you can catch Peacock bass

Peacock_bass_1.sized.jpg

And in some mountain streams you can catch...

Burmese trout (also called Bigmouth)

Big_mouth_5.jpg

Mahseer

Mahseer_blue_2.jpg

and some species of catfish

Jon_playing_big_catfish_6.jpg

There are many more native species that can be caught on dough bait. There are many pay for play ponds in Thailand that have introduced warm water species from other countries.

living not far from there, spoke to the guy, who as yu say was very friendly and chatty, unfortunateley he didnt stock fly rods, and he didnt know anywhere in chiangmai that did, looks like i'll have to get the stuff from the uk, thanks for your efforts, boys :)

Strange, a couple companies in CNX make and export the fake flies.

That is an odd expression... "fake flies". That is like saying... "fake clothes". They aren't fake; they are real.

There are at least 3 or 4 companies in Chiang Mai that make good quality fishing flies for export. My friend is an owner of one company. However, flies won't do much good unless you have the specialized tackle to use the flies. Where to find that specialized tackle in Thailand is the question that doppa asked. I don't know of any place and I've checked a lot of well stocked fishing shops all over Thailand. Maybe there is a business opportunity for some shop owner. Fly fishing is mostly for sport and fly anglers release what they catch. Most Thai anglers are into eating what they catch.