High Flier Boy, Passport or Not?

churchill

Ok, who is it that is up for eating my hat?

You are all happy now but just wait until thousands upon thousands of perper "UAV" airplanes cross over into Thai airspace. Luckily, I am developing a new state of the art SAM system dubbed as the SX1-APMADS(ScizzorX-1, Anti-Paper Model Airplane Delivery System). I will trying selling it to the military some time next year. Further testing is required.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, many comments here and not a single one about the achievement.

12.5 minutes in the air smiley-shocked032.gif

Hope he wins. :D

did he throw it off Doi Suthep?

More quotes from The Nation mathematicians this week.

Since low pressure ridges still cover Thailand and Bangkok, forecasters say we should expect continuous rainfall over the current 12 month period. Bangkok's rainfall in August and September will total from 190340 millimetres, and there might be tropical cyclones.
There are now 19,653 joint Thai-foreign businesses in Phuket, which have invested around Bt62 million.

Maybe the Nation should post news here first for a reality check. :)

OK, many comments here and not a single one about the achievement.

12.5 minutes in the air smiley-shocked032.gif

Hope he wins. :)

Yeah, I hope he wins. How the smeg does he get a paper plane to stay in the air for 12.5 minutes? All I can manage is about 5 seconds, maybe 7 seconds tops and I thought I could make a decent origami aircraft.

Wow- finally a positive for Thailand-as posted by the op common sense prevails for a change! :)

OOOOPS!

Then why is he currently on TV crying his eyes out because the refused him permission and let another "Thai" boy go in his place.

Feel sorry for the lad. Living a lousy existence, offered hope as he excelled, and then "down-trodden again by Thai officialdom.

Samran do you genuinely believe that if the boy hadn't received so much press they'd have still changed their minds? I highly doubt it. Sadly there's still an awful lot of stateless kids who can't build paper aeroplanes.

Of course I don't. But I don't think that it would have happened anywhere in the world really unless the press got involved. I put it down to jobworths doing their bit to put up red tape…out of view of the government who if people bothered to look just has finished a massive registration programme for undocumented Burmese , Lao and Cambodian workers.

People also got a kick out of knocking the government despite the fact that both of his parents had been registered as documented workers (which gives them work rights and access to government health care) and as a stateless child born in Thailand, he had been granted access to the Thai the Thai school system, as is his right.

Now I know that literally thousands of people in the border regions find themselves in a limbo, either as undocumented workers or as people who are Thai citizens but

have had their citizenship stripped from them by uncaring local bureaucrats. It is a massive problem.

But there are two sides to every story. I've just gone through the process of registering our Burmese maid, legitimizing her stay, and my mother sponsored the enrollment of three Thai born Burmese kids into a local primary school here in Bangkok. All this went extremely well, above board and via a simple to follow procedures administered by pretty hard working and underpaid Thai civil servants at the Ampur office, so I'm a bit sympathetic for the government at the moment.

But at least I think I'm a bit more balanced that 90% of posters on threads like this.

Well I don't think it is unbalanced say that it is laughable that the interior ministry (government Dept I believe) initially objected his traveling for security reasons.

Shot Down

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/09/03...al_30111360.php

So they changed their mind after all and hes not going anywhere? The country will be safe now. :)

What a shame! :D

Way back in the good ole days, people didn't need bureaucratic permission or passports to travel, they just picked up and went. Sometimes, I feel like we (as people) are owned by our respective countries, or as in this case, unowned, but stranded with no place to go. The UN really should do more to help these stateless people! Why not a UN issued passport?

I am not a great paper plane builder myself but how the ))%T* can you make a paper plane fly for 12.5 minutes??? I would love to see that!

Silly that children can be considered as a a security risk but that is the way we are going now!

I hope he will win and become "Hero of Thailand"!!!

I hate to wave my own flag, but I was the first one to mention 'temporary passport' possibility for the talented kid (in earlier thread on T.Visa). ...about 2 days before the Thai gov't opted for that.

With all the changes of government, it's possible the current administration weren't even cognizant of that option prior to hearing about it on ThaiVisa. Newspaper reports prior to the most recent announcement, didn't even mention 'temporary passport' as an option.

This is the same Thai diplomatic corps which didn't know Cambodian government was formally requesting 'World Heritage Site' designation for the Preah Vihar ruins until many months after the process had started. Thai diplomats need to take refresher courses in the business of diplomacy, and take their smart pills each morning.

In a round-about way, it's not a whole lot different than the word 'tsunami.' Prior to the big one on Boxing Day several years ago, 99.9% of Thais didn't know the word 'tsunami.' I guess you can chalk it up to a 'learning experience', though it was a painful one.

Edited by brahmburgers

</h1>

<h1>Shot down

By The Nation

Published on September 3, 2009

30111360-01.jpg

Young origami enthusiast distraught after hopes of representing Thailand

A Burmese boy born in Thailand was unable to hold back tears yesterday when the Interior Ministry refused to support his request for a Thai passport.

Mong Thongdee, 12, needs the travel document to fulfil his dream of competing in the upcoming Origami Airplane Contest in Japan. The event takes place on September 19 and 20 in Chiba.

"I understand the authorities' decision," the boy said tearfully. "But I feel very upset."

Passport denied

Mong has been denied Thai citizenship because his parents, though working legally in Thailand, are Burmese.

"As an alien, he may not be allowed back in to Thailand if he leaves the country," Provincial Administration Department director general Wongsak Sawaspanich said yesterday.

He said the Interior Ministry could not relax the laws for Mong, a Grade-4 student at the Ban Huai Sai School in Chiang Mai.

Paper plane contest

Mong was invited to compete in Japan after his paper-plane design stayed airborne for more than 12 minutes to win a local contest. His school director, Duangrit Petima, then decided to help the boy by accompanying him to Bangkok to meet relevant authorities.

Aside from the Provincial Administration Department, Duangrit and Mong also called on the Foreign Affairs Ministry.

Ministries desperate to help

Ministry spokesman Wimon Kidchob said they would issue a temporary passport for Mong only if the Interior Ministry gave its approval.

Only two non-Thai nationals had been granted such a document, said Wimon.

Wongsak said his department had to stick to the laws; if an exception were made for Mong, it would create a loophole that others could exploit.

"We must take laws and national security into account no matter how much we want to help," Wongsak said.

After hearing the discussion between Wongsak and his school director, Mong looked distraught.

"I have practised so hard. It's a huge disappointment to miss out on the trip to Japan," he said.

But he is refusing to be discouraged.

"I will continue practising. I also want to send my best wishes to the Thai representative who will be competing Japan. But I hope that one day I'll be able to travel for such contests too."

That was a short lived dream for a young boy with no real future ahead of him, other than to follow in the footsteps of his parents. Thailand HAD a chance to actually do something good in the eyes of the world, but their xenophobia is planted too deeply for them to actually do that. They say they have to "...take laws and national security into account..." Really?

Would someone like to explain, in an intelligent and rational manner, how this little boy could possibly be a threat to national security in any way?

"As an alien, he may not be allowed back in to Thailand if he leaves the country," Provincial Administration Department director general Wongsak Sawaspanich said yesterday.

In the case of the boy its one of the most stupidest comments ever made from a politician! Shame on you. Mr. Wongsak! :)

Edited by webfact

This ministry, along with spokesman Dongsak, that denied this child the permission to try and do good for Thailand. is no doubt headed by complete jacka$$es .

Which in itself is not rare or unusual.

I woud say these officials would not be able to do anything that benefits Thailand , that does not benefit their own pocket. They need to be issued with a mandatory one way exit visa with no possiblity of return.

I also think that it is time for someone in a definite power position to say to these retarded officials, " Hey, I would suggest you reconsider your decision with the strong hope that you will reverse it" Other wise they should be the recipient of a decision that may affect their future and livelyhood, if there should be any future.

... and don't give me the crap that their are, nor can be any, special case exemptions.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

This ministry, along with spokesman Dongsak, that denied this child the permission to try and do good for Thailand. is no doubt headed by complete jacka$$es .

Which in itself is not rare or unusual.

I woud say these officials would not be able to do anything that benefits Thailand , that does not benefit their own pocket. They need to be issued with a mandatory one way exit visa with no possiblity of return.

I also think that it is time for someone in a definite power position to say to these retarded officials, " Hey, I would suggest you reconsider your decision with the strong hope that you will reverse it" Other wise they should be the recipient of a decision that may affect their future and livelyhood, if there should be any future.

... and don't give me the crap that their are, nor can be any, special case exemptions.

These "officials" done a lot of harm to that boy for that they should be punished! Yup, the special case exemptions does exist... if you have to have a "big" name or money!

Sorry guys but I can feel what this boy is going through because of some bureaucrats stupid ideology and that makes me fcukin' angry!!! :)

well done Thailand! I hope this story will make the round!

Edited by webfact

I am not a great paper plane builder myself but how the ))%T* can you make a paper plane fly for 12.5 minutes??? I would love to see that!

Silly that children can be considered as a a security risk but that is the way we are going now!

I hope he will win and become "Hero of Thailand"!!!

The current world record for flying a paper plan is about 28 seconds.

As always The Nation seems able to get the facts wrong.

Believe they probably mean 12.5 seconds.

This means it has to be kicked upstairs another notch or two.

These guys are raised to not make decisions above their paygrade.

It is part of the culture. This may need to go right to Abhisit himself,

because no one will dare make a call beyond status quo paranoia.

Then they can't be blamed later for ANYTHING. So never lose face.

Edited by animatic

My opinion:

Unfortunately at least 50% of the population in any country in the world is racist either hidden or openly, it is not a particular Thai thing. It is the same in all other countries I have been in for a longer time: Surinam, Netherlands, Switzerland. Everywhere.

I am very sorry for the kid but he will face this for the rest of his life. I hope some higher power will overrule the lower people.

Can the mods please change the name of this thread to reflect the current status.

My opinion:

Unfortunately at least 50% of the population in any country in the world is racist either hidden or openly, it is not a particular Thai thing. It is the same in all other countries I have been in for a longer time: Surinam, Netherlands, Switzerland. Everywhere.

I am very sorry for the kid but he will face this for the rest of his life. I hope some higher power will overrule the lower people.

My proposal "High Flier Boy a national security risk"

Can the mods please change the name of this thread to reflect the current status.

My opinion:

Considering the population of China, India and South America, I would put 80 %.

Shot down

A Burmese boy born in Thailand was unable to hold back tears yesterday when the Interior Ministry refused to support his request for a Thai passport.

Mong Thongdee, 12, needs the travel document to fulfil his dream of competing in the upcoming Origami Airplane Contest in Japan. The event takes place on September 19 and 20 in Chiba.

"I understand the authorities' decision," the boy said tearfully. "But I feel very upset."

Passport denied

Mong has been denied Thai citizenship because his parents, though working legally in Thailand, are Burmese.

He said the Interior Ministry could not relax the laws for Mong, a Grade-4 student at the Ban Huai Sai School in Chiang Mai.

Paper plane contest

Mong was invited to compete in Japan after his paper-plane design stayed airborne for more than 12 minutes to win a local contest. His school director, Duangrit Petima, then decided to help the boy by accompanying him to Bangkok to meet relevant authorities.

Aside from the Provincial Administration Department, Duangrit and Mong also called on the Foreign Affairs Ministry.

Ministries desperate to help

Ministry spokesman Wimon Kidchob said they would issue a temporary passport for Mong only if the Interior Ministry gave its approval.

Only two non-Thai nationals had been granted such a document, said Wimon.

Wongsak said his department had to stick to the laws; if an exception were made for Mong, it would create a loophole that others could exploit.

"We must take laws and national security into account no matter how much we want to help," Wongsak said.

After hearing the discussion between Wongsak and his school director, Mong looked distraught.

"I have practised so hard. It's a huge disappointment to miss out on the trip to Japan," he said.

But he is refusing to be discouraged.

"I will continue practising. I also want to send my best wishes to the Thai representative who will be competing Japan. But I hope that one day I'll be able to travel for such contests too."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation September 3, 2009

Edited by medegen

So basically he's being refused so a "true" Thai can go instead. One they would be proud of and not this "mutt."

There should be a national outcry that this boy, if he was born in Thailand, is not a Thai citizen. Anything less is xenophobic

How about someone at TV post photos of the Interior Minister and this guy Dongsak so we can all know who to take it out on.

We can also use them to perfect our darts game.

Good to know the face [even though it looks just like the other end] of those who you are angry with.

Edited by steffi

The kid should go - Just imagine the shame and embarrasment if the wee fella won and Thailand wouldn't let him back into the country. I can see the headline now Thai World Champion refused entry to Thailand

It really would drag the whole issue out into the open. Lots of 'umms', 'arrhs' and claims of 'not our responsiblity' would issue forth from the various ministries.

Unfortunatly, there are so many talented and skilled people, old and young that miss out on opportunities in this country because of their financial or ethnic status. A genuine shame as thai people have a rich artist and creative history, but most only get the opportunity to experience the mundane.