Farang Robs Siam City Bank

PoorSucker

Saw it in Thai tv this evening.

He used a gun.

I dont think he fired it.

He really looked dirty.

His clothes as well.

I didn't see the TV report. If anyone else did, did they actually report that he used a gun? IF so, was that a quote from the police?

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They have to do DNA to connect the cloths to him, the money is missing and no one can do a positive ID. They were busy fighting the man with a gun, then he switched it for pepper spray during the fight and got away,

There was no mention of a gun in the original report. Where did you come up with that one? :)

Sorry confused by one of the other posts that mentioned it.  At any rate.  The facts are a bit confusing as presented anyway.  I wonder if this guy has a drug habit, strange to be somewhat vagrant and that disparate.  Possible other connecting reasons for his actions if it was him.

I did a visa run with this guy. We clicked based on being from the states. Weird thing was he seemed to have 3 or more names he went by, I was living in the land of paradise and did not notice but now seeing this news I see he had big scam plans. His unemployment ran out, I cannot confirm this although he made it seem like someone from the states was signing his claim forms and mailing them back while he lived on the dole (I wanted to do this but did not have the balls). He thought he could teach English, bang bar girls and live like a king; he should have known he left the best nation on earth to end up in a Thai jail, classic. After doing a quick search on his background I found that his family has enough money to take care of this. Yes, he may spend time in jail although he has some resources that the typical criminal does not. I hope he eats chicken bone soup with 3 grains of rice each day, and then in 3 to 5 years they send him home, to serve a sentence based on being such an international dildo and national disgrace.

*out of hiding*

I am a firm believer in giving a test to all who want to come to Thailand before they get on the plane, weed out the fools and misfits. This is no place to be without a brain.

maybe that's the whole point of thailand, to weed out all the idiots in the world. lure them all here and clean up our home counties.

Again, God's way of weeding out the stupid. Somehow, I bet drugs were involved.....

why do people like you always think "drugs" are involved. remember your god made the drugs right! :) maybe he just wanted some money to donate to a church!!! :D

American held after bank robbery

PATHUM THANI: -- An American man was yesterday apprehended following a bank robbery in Pathum Thani, in which he was implicated as the faceless lone robber.

Harold Guyier, 54, remains in custody of Pratoonam Chulalongkorn police after protesting his innocence. He has been charged with armed robbery, although police said they are still seeking further evidence.

Guyier was found not far from a Siam City Bank branch which had been robbed a short time before by a hooded person, thought to be a man. He told security guards and police he was merely "strolling around", even after police found a set of clothing worn by the lone robber discarded and hidden in a bush nearby.

According to police, the robber in a black hood entered the branch at noon, jumped over a counter to open a drawer and grabbed a stash of banknotes, totalling Bt148,600 and ran away. The robber said nothing during the five-minute heist.

No details are available about the robber's build and other distinctive details, but his clothing - a cream-coloured overall and a hat of the same colour, a black hood, a pair of sunglasses and a pair of black gloves, were all found abandoned in the bush.

Onlookers and the bank's security guards chased the robber and overpowered him in a struggle, before he shot pepper spray in their faces and made off.

Police said they were waiting for DNA-based test results to determine whether the clothing was worn by Guyier.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-03

The American Embassy should help conduct the DNA test so as to ascertain the facts. It doesn't say he was caught with the money on him, and the robber's face was completely covered.

Well, this is Thai Visa.

Ehem, all folks here, the chap has been nicked, but whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty ????

No farang could be stupid enough to attempt a bank robbery here, where he sticks out like a sore thumb

Agree with you...late last night when the topic started there was just a short clip about the arrest on the "nation" website but now with bit more info there

seems to be some holes in the story!

No positive ID

No pepper spray or gun found (i think the gun was a miss quote by someones wife from TV news)

No money found

Farang found walking near stashed clothing...(i would have been long gone)

BIB waiting for DNA.... saving face might swing that one....with the real robber long gone!

If he did do it.....Idiot!

If he didn't......holy sh*t....i wouldn't like to be in his shoes!

PATHUM THANI: -- An American man was yesterday apprehended following a bank robbery in Pathum Thani, in which he was implicated as the faceless lone robber.

Harold Guyier, 54, remains in custody of Pratoonam Chulalongkorn police after protesting his innocence. He has been charged with armed robbery, although police said they are still seeking further evidence.

Guyier was found not far from a Siam City Bank branch which had been robbed a short time before by a hooded person, thought to be a man. He told security guards and police he was merely "strolling around", even after police found a set of clothing worn by the lone robber discarded and hidden in a bush nearby.

According to police, the robber in a black hood entered the branch at noon, jumped over a counter to open a drawer and grabbed a stash of banknotes, totalling Bt148,600 and ran away. The robber said nothing during the five-minute heist.

No details are available about the robber's build and other distinctive details, but his clothing - a cream-coloured overall and a hat of the same colour, a black hood, a pair of sunglasses and a pair of black gloves, were all found abandoned in the bush.

Onlookers and the bank's security guards chased the robber and overpowered him in a struggle, before he shot pepper spray in their faces and made off.

Police said they were waiting for DNA-based test results to determine whether the clothing was worn by Guyier.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-03

The American Embassy should help conduct the DNA test so as to ascertain the facts. It doesn't say he was caught with the money on him, and the robber's face was completely covered.

Well, this is Thai Visa.

So let's say the Royal Thai Police do send the clothing over to the Americans for DNA testing, and they find Mr. Guyier's DNA. What does that prove in Thailand?

I am still amazed that perhaps 90% of the commenters here have already tried and convicted this guy based on his appearance and very sketchy circumstantial evidence.

If we're trying to be even-handed, the thread title "Farang Robs Siam City Bank" isn't a very good start...... :)

better than the other thread title "Police Arrest Filipino "leg-shaking" Theft Gang" with a Major General presenting the culprit the other day. LOL...

its time for desperate Farangs to leave LOS.

Again, God's way of weeding out the stupid. Somehow, I bet drugs were involved.....

why do people like you always think "drugs" are involved. remember your god made the drugs right! :) maybe he just wanted some money to donate to a church!!! :D

Maybe because just like alcohol,  98% of the time someone does something completely stupid its involved.  Like my uncle used to say, booze is cheep, its the stupid things you do when you use it that cost money.  But I will admit to subscribing to the Darwin theory at times that sometimes people do these things as a process of selection and fail the test.

It's strange the other day, there was a topic on here comparing Brits abroad in various countrys, the number of yanks that jumped on the band wagon taking the opportunity to give us a Brit bashing, "all the brits are scum", "all the brits are trouble-makers", "why don't the brits stay in their own country". (ha! - I haven't heard of any of them robbing banks, I remember a German guy doing it in Chonburi 6yrs back, and I remember a Norwegian holding up a gold store in Pattaya)

The number of people who come to this country and live on the bread-line is unbelievable, and in my line of business I see them all, so I can safely say there is definately a majority of one nation that pass through my doors who live in this situation (let's just say they didn't live the AMERICAN DREAM). My question is why do they do it to themselves, if you call living in Paradise - living out your life in a little box, not even a motorbike for transport, and penny pintching at every eatery (down the road its only 25bt, so why are you charging me 30bt), you really should be thinking of heading home, you are embarrasing yourself and your home-nation. All these people that I have come across, seem to be within 'the working age' have 2 legs & arms, and seem perfectly able. So go home, get a job, and come back when your life's in order, and stop inflicting your miserable way of life on the rest of us.

Way to many sad individuals in this country, spoiling it for the rest of us.

And to pre-empt anybody sticking up for these saddos and saying "look, some people just get dealt a bad hand", success is a journey not a destination. The problem with most of these low-lifes they haven't learnt to accept responsibility for their actions and love to blame others for their pit-falls, until they accept responsibility for their actions, their lives will never improve.

well said, and i'm a yank. the problem with these people who choose to live in victimhood is they got a real vote of validation when obama was put in office. :)

The original report was unclear.... They said he was arrested for ARMED robbery...

Is pepper spray considered armed robbery here???

Nowhere in the report did it mention that the robber had a gun - just pepper spray.

I think so...any thing held in hand that can cause harm

I would have to say that with the possible exception of las vegas, i've never met so many con artists, bullsh*t artists, and phoneys as here in Pattaya...not ALL farang (obviously) but this place does seem to be a magnet for low lifes who think because they have a few baht in their pocket they're big shots

Just ignore them. That helps.

They are finding enough other victims though....

:)

Hello, this is another example of poor execution in the cultural exchange of an American in a foreign land. There are many bank robberies in America, and most people are not caught after they risk their freedom like this. Maybe he can get a job teaching English in prison, but he will find out how difficult life in another country can be after making a poor choice.

The guy faces a conviction for armed assault for less than USD 4,500.00? :D:D:D What a tosser.
I am a firm believer in giving a test to all who want to come to Thailand before they get on the plane, weed out the fools and misfits.

Would be awfully boring in the LOS though :)

Butch & Sundance would be so ashamed!!! :D Probably just a 'down on his luck' cowboy from the great American Southwest. Or, maybe the clothes won't fit and they find the real perpetrator. Seems like an awful lot of posters here are too willing to forfeit their freedoms for a little 'imagined' security.

I would imagine that circumstances which reduce one to living down in the gutter might make even the "Bangkok Hilton" look like UP! And, $4,500 would be a pleasant windfall to many of us who would never even consider stealing it!

In law it wouldn't matter is it was a plastic water pistol covered in boot polish armed robbery is armed robbery. The way they look at it is the teller doesn't know what the spray contains, Pepper Poison Acid all he/she knows is they are terrified.

How much is $4,500 in real money anyway? :)

Definitely no Thomas Crown this guy, more like a cast off from Dumb and Dumber

Edited by George4

Well, this is Thai Visa.

I would like to point out that regardless of whether he had ANY money on him seconds before his apprehension, he would have had none on him afterward.

To be honest im not surprised there is more robberies like this! On many occasions while visiting the banks I see staff counting endless amounts of 1000 baht notes right in front of my eyes. For the likes of The Kray twins, and Franky Frazer, this would be a god send. Its a good job the Thai's dont have legends like these bank robbery and train robbers in Thailand!

The original report was unclear.... They said he was arrested for ARMED robbery...

Is pepper spray considered armed robbery here???

Nowhere in the report did it mention that the robber had a gun - just pepper spray.

I think so...any thing held in hand that can cause harm

Anything can be used as a weapon not just a gun take it from a cop.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-03

Hmmm, they find him "near" the clothing. That sure is suspicious that in a crowded area he could be near stashed clothing. Am I the only one to notice that they didn't claim to find the money near him or on him? Sure seems suspicious.

..."he was implicated as the faceless lone robber."

..."after protesting his innocence"

..."which had been robbed a short time before by a hooded person, thought to be a man."

..."No details are available about the robber's build and other distinctive details."

Any reasonable articles clerk could get this guy off - no money, no weapon, circumstantial, no witnesses to true identity - nothing for the Police to hang their hat on. Sounds like the LA Police story in the film 'Changeling' - we have a suspect, let's ignore common sense and make someone responsible for it. And Farang are fair game - I hope this man has some money or family to get some defense going - or they will bury him in the system. I for one am not convinced but who knows? :)

In law it wouldn't matter is it was a plastic water pistol covered in boot polish armed robbery is armed robbery. The way they look at it is the teller doesn't know what the spray contains, Pepper Poison Acid all he/she knows ir hey are terrified.

Why can't you people read the original (poorly written) report? The alleged pepper spray was used outside the bank when pursued by security guards. No mention of guns or spray in the bank, he just vaulted over the counter :)