Retirement visa question

I will be obtaining a multiple-entry retirement visa from the Thai Consulate in New York. With respect to airline tickets, will I need a R/T ticket, or is one way O.K. ?    :cool:

It is my understanding that you will need a return ticket ONLY for a 30 day 'Visa on Arrival'. Some Thai embassies/consulates may ask for a return ticket when you apply for a tourist (60 days) visa.

A retirement visa will be a Non-Immigrant "O" visa and a return ticket is not required but there are some special requirements regarding finances, please check with the Thai Consulate in NY for details.

Dr. P.P. can you confirm this?

Regards

opalhort

Confidence? ... inspired by Francesca at the New York Consulate ... she made it sound very easy to obtain the initial visa ... extension a year later, well that's a whole different animal. She said I would not need a medical certificate or a criminal background check for the initial visa! ... not like what you read from the Washington, D.C. web site! ... she did advise me to obtain these documents while in the States for the extension. The people in New York have always been extremely helpful.   :o

"She said I would not need a medical certificate or a criminal background check for the initial visa! ... not like what you read from the Washington, D.C. web site! ... she did advise me to obtain these documents while in the States for the extension."

I am curious about this detail. It makes sense that Thai immigration would want the background check to be from your home country, and obviously if that is the case, you would want to get that before you leave your home country.

However, with the medical certificate, if they really don't need it until the application for the first one year extension, I find it odd that they would want an old certificate from your home country. Is that really the case? Wouldn't they want a more current certificate issued by a doctor in Thailand? After all, a prohibited condition could present itself over that period of time.