Unit Of Water?

mr.buffalo

The power rating of a lightbulb is 100 watts.

ie, at any instant it takes 100 watts from the electrical supply.(approx 3-4 amps at 230 volts)

Electrical energy used is power rating x the length of time it is on

If the light is on for 1 hour the total energy it takes from the electrical supply is 100 watt-hours. (If 30mins then 50watt-hour).

It is usually expressed as Killowatt- hours, so 0.1Kwhr.

The electric supplier charges you per Kwhr used, maybe 10 baht per Kwhr.so 1 baht for this example.

Water is charged for the volume you take.

The meter totalises what you have used .

Some water supply companies use litres as the water unit, others cubic meters, some still ft. cubed!

So if the meter says you have used 50 litres , at 5 baht a litre, then its 250baht.

Its only to demonstrate guys,

ie, at any instant it takes 100 watts from the electrical supply.(approx 3-4 amps at 230 volts)

......<snip>

Some water supply companies use litres as the water unit, others cubic meters, some still ft. cubed!

So if the meter says you have used 50 litres , at 5 baht a litre, then its 250baht.

I think that you mean approx 0.4 amps, not 3-4.

I've never seen a company in Thailand use a litre or cubic foot as their charging unit for water. Can you please give an example of a company that does? If water meters were ever available to measure in these units in Thailand, I would have thought that they haven't been manufactured for years.

Edited by loong

......<snip>

I think that you mean approx 0.4 amps, not 3-4.

I've never seen a company in Thailand use a litre or cubic foot as their charging unit for water. Can you please give an example of a company that does? If water meters were ever available to measure in these units in Thailand, I would have thought that they haven't been manufactured for years.

Thanks for pointing that out loong, yes about 0.4.

Wasn't speaking specific to thailand, just highlighting generally that differring unit measurements of volume were possible.

In the uk I have seen all three , especially in some of the smaller private water companies.

Water is metered in Cubic meters by the water authority. 1 unit is one cubic meter which is 1000 liters

The electric authority meters meter the power in kilowatt hours and 1 unit equals 1 kilowatt hour

The MEA AND PEA charge a residential user about 3.5 baht per kilowatt hour of electrical use

The water companies charge about 12 baht per cubic meter of water for a residential user.

A condo may very well add on an extra fee to both. the water may be as high as 25 baht per unit and the electric as high as 7 or 8 baht per unit.

A condo may very well add on an extra fee to both. the water may be as high as 25 baht per unit and the electric as high as 7 or 8 baht per unit.

Many (rented) condos charge 25 baht per water unit, with the excuse that they have to pay the electricity to pump it to the rooftop holding tanks. In the Pattaya drought a few years back it went to 30 baht per unit for 6 months.

Electric units in rented condos is generally 7 baht per unit. However be warned on 1st January 2010 it will rise to 10 baht in central Pattaya.

Rented condo owners have a kind of agreed monopoly on this.

Many (rented) condos charge 25 baht per water unit, with the excuse that they have to pay the electricity to pump it to the rooftop holding tanks. In the Pattaya drought a few years back it went to 30 baht per unit for 6 months.

Electric units in rented condos is generally 7 baht per unit. However be warned on 1st January 2010 it will rise to 10 baht in central Pattaya.

Rented condo owners have a kind of agreed monopoly on this.

My condo water fee was 25 baht and rose to 27 baht per unit.

Also there has a 5 baht per unit wastewater treatment fee been added on recently.

I dont know how they measure that yet or if it is just a fixed monthly charge.

Add to them a monthly meter fee of 50 baht, and its adding up.

But its cheap to my house,

30 baht per water unit and a monthly meter charge of 200 baht.

Ripped off or what?