Thailand's Tourism Shows Sign Of Recovery, Says Finance Minister

george

Tourism shows sign of recovery, says finance minister

BANGKOK: -- Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij on Thursday expressed optimism about the recovery of the country’s critical tourism sector, saying that increasing numbers of foreign tourists are now visiting Thailand.

Speaking while presiding over the 16th “Thais Tour Thailand” Fair at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center, he said that undeniably foreign arrivals had declined quite considerably as a result of the airport closure and the outbreak of A (H1N1) influenza.

In addition, the global economic crisis had dampened the purchasing power of Thailand’s foreign visitors.

However, he noted that tourism had now shown signs of recovery as the number of local and international tourists travelling aboard Thai Airways International had increased.

Regarding fiscal measures issued to help the tourism sector, Mr. Korn said that the Ministry of Finance is mulling a tax reduction for spa operators to stimulate health-conscious tourism.

Additionally, the Government Savings Bank has been urged to join with the SME Bank to lend to tourism operators and relax interest payment terms and conditions for some affected operators.

“I have been aware during the visit to the fair that the purchasing power of Thai people is beginning to increase again as can be witnessed by the great attention paid by many who were buying tour packages at the event,” he said.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-09-04

Has to be an optimist in his position. But visitor numbers increasing compared to what?

Here in the north hotels are at record low occupancy, golf courses are empty and many tourism related businesses have closed.

I sincerely hope things are on the up but Thailand has many issues to deal with before numbers of past years are reached if ever again.

"However, he noted that tourism had now shown signs of recovery as the number of local and international tourists travelling aboard Thai Airways International had increased."

Talk about spinning the facts. Wouldn’t it be logic to simply check the actual arrival numbers instead of basing it on only one airlines numbers?

Tompa,

Has to be an optimist in his position. But visitor numbers increasing compared to what?

Here in the north hotels are at record low occupancy, golf courses are empty and many tourism related businesses have closed.

I sincerely hope things are on the up but Thailand has many issues to deal with before numbers of past years are reached if ever again.

Where is the TOT date showing the number of airport arrival and departure numbers?

As far as my business serving mostly tourists (95% are tourists) show reduction of 33% as compared to last year for the same month. So I am not sure where the he,,, l he gets his data. As usual I have never seen any official say things are bad. When they talk they must have their head in the sand or something less pleasant

"However, he noted that tourism had now shown signs of recovery as the number of local and international tourists travelling aboard Thai Airways International had increased."

Talk about spinning the facts. Wouldn't it be logic to simply check the actual arrival numbers instead of basing it on only one airlines numbers?

Tompa,

Yeah, Utter "Bullshit" and "Dreamer", You only have to go to Jomtein Beach on week days to see it mostly deserted. Bars in Jomtein Complex are reporting non existent customer clientel on weekdays too. More Shops are closing early or opening later. Hotel's on the Internet offering 50 to 70% percent off [Mostly the expensive ones]. Just ask the Thai's workers themselves !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's another Lie to the people to make this government popular.

Granted more people are flying with Thai Airways but that doesn't mean they are staying hear just in Transit to somewhere else.

The main tourist problems haven't been addressed and as we all know the Government don't know how. Well that's me finished Whinging.

Hey - dont knock the lad - he is merely trying to put a positive spin on the whole lousy ball of wax.

His job is to stare into the Krystal Ball 24/7 and report all things positive, not necessarily true. Truth sucks anyways.

Besides - it does make for a nice turn of events from all the naysayers here, who are drowning in remorse, alcohol & vitriol.

Political spin gets your name in the media and an upbeat story. However it seems the government is unwilling or more likely unable to address the reall issues that would set the country up for long term recovery. Suspect they are all just waiting for the full planes to arrive and really don't know what is taking so long, there is no plan or honest introspection as to the real and obvious issues.

of course they are increasing as they approach the "high" season... But compare these current numbers to the same period last year and I would bet that it is down around the same percent as comparing a couple of months ago to the same period last year.

It must improve year on year.

Last year all the muppets were shutting phuket airport and then strangling the capital before finally realising their dream of shutting down the countries main airport.

As yea sow, so shall yea reap.

people at least try to get this clear,

1. not every place is near low or empty

2. from my perspective things could key word could improve as long as theres not more political uncertainty

3. its pretty sure no business is going to be anything like last year for a very long time

4. you can conclude many places closed down or went out of business, this is true my view most didn't even plan, prepare, or any idea what they were doing

Thailand and TAT / Politicans on tourism issues = Beer Glasses :) Its truly is amazing thailand ( I've truly never seen so many blind people thats why its so amazing

people at least try to get this clear,

1. not every place is near low or empty

2. from my perspective things could key word could improve as long as theres not more political uncertainty

3. its pretty sure no business is going to be anything like last year for a very long time

4. you can conclude many places closed down or went out of business, this is true my view most didn't even plan, prepare, or any idea what they were doing

Thailand and TAT / Politicans on tourism issues = Beer Glasses :) Its truly is amazing thailand ( I've truly never seen so many blind people thats why its so amazing

There have been reports of increased bookings for HIGH SEASON in advance this year.

We have been having surprising mubers on Samui lately.

Not enough to get too many bands working regularly yet, a valid barometer to me,

but signs of a high season happening, barring political cockups.

In any down turn businesses fail, this is a world class down turn,

but the high season so far doesn't seem a lost cause so far.

No one should expect numbers from two years ago of course.

BANGKOK: -- Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij on Thursday expressed optimism about the recovery of the country's critical tourism sector, saying that increasing numbers of foreign tourists are now visiting Thailand.

Speaking while presiding over the 16th "Thais Tour Thailand" Fair at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center, he said that undeniably foreign arrivals had declined quite considerably as a result of the airport closure and the outbreak of A (H1N1) influenza.

In addition, the global economic crisis had dampened the purchasing power of Thailand's foreign visitors.

However, he noted that tourism had now shown signs of recovery as the number of local and international tourists travelling aboard Thai Airways International had increased.

Regarding fiscal measures issued to help the tourism sector, Mr. Korn said that the Ministry of Finance is mulling a tax reduction for spa operators to stimulate health-conscious tourism.

Additionally, the Government Savings Bank has been urged to join with the SME Bank to lend to tourism operators and relax interest payment terms and conditions for some affected operators.

"I have been aware during the visit to the fair that the purchasing power of Thai people is beginning to increase again as can be witnessed by the great attention paid by many who were buying tour packages at the event," he said.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-09-04

BUNKUM

A piss poor and pathetic effort at political spin from Korn the clown.

I expected better from one of the supposedly brightest minds in this country.

These guys have had it so easy for so many years with the Thai lackey journalists, that they have become downright lazy .

They get away with absurd, incoherent and laughable comments on a daily basis, so why should they care ???

To counter the a steady dribble of unpleasant news blips, the Interior Minister, while entering his office, just happened to notice the plaque on the wall behind his desk; "SAY SOMETHING POSITIVE ABOUT TOURISM EVERY WEEK"

So, the guy's just trying to do his job, give him a break.

It's scant different than the Economic Minister doing double back flips trying to continually crank out positive news on the economy.

Part and parcel of such rote announcements is declaring future projections as always rosier than the present situation. To paraphrase Bob Dylan, "The best is always yet to come, at least that's what they led me to believe."

Why do people interpret "signs of recovery" as everything is great, or things are better than last year?

All he said was signs of recovery.

If you go check on a friend in a coma and the nurse says, well we've seen signs of recovery, does that mean you break out the champagne?

Why do people interpret "signs of recovery" as everything is great, or things are better than last year?

All he said was signs of recovery.

If you go check on a friend in a coma and the nurse says, well we've seen signs of recovery, does that mean you break out the champagne?

Exactly. I see signs of recovery too, but I don't SEE a recovery yet.

But better to be positive, yet prepared for the worst, than just negative.

BANGKOK: -- Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij on Thursday expressed optimism about the recovery of the country's critical tourism sector, saying that increasing numbers of foreign tourists are now visiting Thailand.

Speaking while presiding over the 16th "Thais Tour Thailand" Fair at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center, he said that undeniably foreign arrivals had declined quite considerably as a result of the airport closure and the outbreak of A (H1N1) influenza.

In addition, the global economic crisis had dampened the purchasing power of Thailand's foreign visitors.

"I have been aware during the visit to the fair that the purchasing power of Thai people is beginning to increase again as can be witnessed by the great attention paid by many who were buying tour packages at the event," he said.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-09-04

Of course, the couple caught at Jomtien beach will attract more visitors to try the Coitus Interruptus.

BANGKOK: -- Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij on Thursday expressed optimism about the recovery of the country’s critical tourism sector, saying that increasing numbers of foreign tourists are now visiting Thailand.

Speaking while presiding over the 16th “Thais Tour Thailand” Fair at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Center, he said that undeniably foreign arrivals had declined quite considerably as a result of the airport closure and the outbreak of A (H1N1) influenza.

In addition, the global economic crisis had dampened the purchasing power of Thailand’s foreign visitors.

“I have been aware during the visit to the fair that the purchasing power of Thai people is beginning to increase again as can be witnessed by the great attention paid by many who were buying tour packages at the event,” he said.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-09-04

well it must be a case of knowing something we dont - and also the rest of the hospitality industry in LOS - it not just the case of the global economic downturn -- its the total lack of confidence in the stabliity of the tourist industry in the country - the airport closures -- the never ending coups - the instabliity of the govt - swine flu - etc etc - and dont tell us there are signs of recovery - two days ago on tv in australia there was a whole segement about the dramatic decline in the thai tourim sector - hotel running on 20% occupancy - lack of visitor confidence - the security for tourist - been a few murders etc of late - that some hotels are not even going to break even during the high season - if they survive that long - so the govt can and will keep trying to hype up the facts as they seem fit and hope that people will believe them -=- oh Thai airline passenger up - so what about the other airlines -- that is a stupid figure to be quoting - what about actual arrivals compared to the past few years -- pre coup etc -- and see how there stack up - i would suggest that these were ingored as they would show the real picture and highlight just how bad the whole tourism sector is going -and thats down hill -- TIT welcome to the LOS or something like that

the announcement may be part of a scheme to shovel money to large-scale tourist venues. Hotels and such have been asking for hand-outs in recent months, to offset lagging numbers. You know that when you ask for a loan or hand-out, you always accompany it with painting a rosy picture of future income. If bail-out money does get authorized, you can bet the biggest players (resorts, golf courses, Thai Airways) will be at the front of the bread line.

I hope he isn't talking about number of visitors but amount of money spent.

On my stay in Bangkok about 2 months back, I saw lots of tourists.....but mostly mainland Chinese and South Asians. Nothing wrong with that, but they tend to spend less.....I hardly saw a white face in MBK....Western tourism, Japanese tourism is clearly down.....it's not a suprise these countries are the ones beat up the worse by the recession.

I would not pay too much attention to the figures and statements of this particular government. They seem to have hired a couple of spindoctors. Even if spending power of Thai people are picking up, it is way below it was when Thaksin was PM. Therefore the additional spending power will be used to make ends meet, not to stay in the massage parlour of government ministers of in the khao Yai to watch the property of Surayud that has encroached on pristine forest land.

Foreigners will not come back either, at least if we are not talking Europeans, Americans and Japanese have been scared off by reckless soldiers shooting on each and everything in the street and invoking another security law did not help. But than again, tax payers money is used to help out certain operators, as stated in the article some of the operators, only help comes for people close to government politicians and backers.

I can't share the optimism of higher spending power either, because even when the economy picks up, employment is a lagging factor, it will worsen for soem time to come.

Again do not trust figures, they are either false, incomplete or misrepresented.

this is the begining of the great decline as other countries in the area become more effective at competeing for that same tourist dollar with less of the negatives of thailand. Also all things run in trends and amoung travelers thailand is of the boil, it's passay to say you've been there because everbody already has. :)

this is the begining of the great decline as other countries in the area become more effective at competeing for that same tourist dollar with less of the negatives of thailand. Also all things run in trends and amoung travelers thailand is of the boil, it's passay to say you've been there because everbody already has. :)

Yes, you hit it square on with "thailand is off the boil", that is a fact. There was a huge surge

around 2000 and despite 9/11, Sars, Bird Flu etc it lasted until around 2004 and since then

has slowly crumbled. There are many more now in Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam and the comments

I heard about, when they passed thru Thailand, were less than favourable.

Now 3/4 of the year thru and we still have the silly red shirts making a mess of things and this has

added to people's uncertainty. Places like Africa, India, Domin Republic are also "IN" right now.

And as far as arrivals go...... well they only quoted Thai Airways and don't forget, 'arrivals' include

people doing visa runs etc, so exact figures are I think impossible to find.

I popped down to pattaya on friday to see a friend, spent a bit of time in the town itself and was really surprised at how empty it looked, last time I saw so few farangs was when walking street was still a drivethrough and jomthien didnt have any Condo's

let's first wait for the high season to start....

Like last year!

We waited, we watched, we saw Bangkok grind to a halt as a Government was being overthrown, we watched airports being closed and our customers being turned or scared away.

It's pure spin and they cannot possibly record lower arrivals this year as the muppets are not at the airport this year. They will be back though if democracy is ever restored!

I think now the elite must be suffering badly as their high end hotels and resorts stand empty. Thousands of unfinished hotel rooms and condos lay open to the elements. Som Nam Na. Thailands poor cannot suffer in this as they are just as poor and oppressed as ever.