Gold Shop Electronic Payments

Garry

Sorry the title should read: Gold Shop Electronic Payments, some Thai gold shops seem to not have any cash card machines

I'm sure plenty of been in this situation where they've gone to buy gold for their wife, girlfriend, pet dog, et al.

I'm really surprised at the amount of shops I've talked to where they don't have card payment swipe machines. I keep asking why, and get the the clinical smiled 'No Have' and that as far as I get.

It's just frustrating with the all the motorcycle bag snatchers, leg shakers, muggers so prevelant in this society.

I had to (okay I didn't have to but I did) go across the road in a crowded market to draw a sizeable chunk of change to pay for some gold.

I ended buying the gold with cash, but I was keeping eyes in the back of my head while I was drawing out over 60,000 baht. Meanwhile a que of people was forming behind me, as I had to put the card in three times. If I had gripped that money any harder when I was walking back across the street, I'm sure my knuckles would have popped.

Next time I'll withdraw money in advance and not have to go through that again.

Anybody else have similar occurences?

Edited by Garry

Sorry the title should read: Gold Shop Electronic Payments, some Thai gold shops seem to not have any cash card machines

I'm sure plenty of been in this situation where they've gone to buy gold for their wife, girlfriend, pet dog, et al.

I'm really surprised at the amount of shops I've talked to where they don't have card payment swipe machines. I keep asking why, and get the the clinical smiled 'No Have' and that as far as I get.

It's just frustrating with the all the motorcycle bag snatchers, leg shakers, muggers so prevelant in this society.

I had to (okay I didn't have to but I did) go across the road in a crowded market to draw a sizeable chunk of change to pay for some gold.

I ended buying the gold with cash, but I was keeping eyes in the back of my head while I was drawing out over 60,000 baht. Meanwhile a que of people was forming behind me, as I had to put the card in three times. If I had gripped that money any harder when I was walking back across the street, I'm sure my knuckles would have popped.

They don’t want to pay the issuing bank’s commission fee on the transaction.

Did you grip the gold the same has you gripped the cash? Those motorcycle bag snatchers like gold too!

Edited by Garry9999

Gold shop margins are already fairly slim, many operating on a 2% profit margin for much of their inventory. Taking another X% out doesn't make sense. Adding it to the product only frustrates customers (and most are cash paying anyway) as is against most bank/cc issuer policies anyway. Try the next shop, there are probably more than a few 'down the road' that will be happy to take your plastic.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

some gold shops along par-hoo-rutt operated by second or third generation of off-springs educated from abroad will take cc for actual purchases for sure... but then purchasers will have to pay the 2.5 to 3.0 percent surcharge to cover their ends of bank commissions....

that would certainly add up a purchaser's acquiring cost a little bit.... lol

As said, when they calculate the price and show you the calculator, if you want to pay with plastic, then they'll have another little go at the calculator, and hey presto, the price just jumped up.

So you go to the ATM anyway :)

gary

come to think of it, that amount would allow you to purchase only 2 oz.... or am i mistaken here because of my advanced case of sinility.... lol

Definitely around that figure, give or a take a gram :)

Edited by Garry

Did you grip the gold the same has you gripped the cash? Those motorcycle bag snatchers like gold too!

Oh hel_l yeah, it was down my jeans front pocket right pronto. My wife had a friend get her chained snatched by two guys on a motorbike. The girl had a nice chain burn on her neck where it got torn off.

what profit margin are diamond sellers/diamond jewelry on?

---------

donjuandemarco

you are asking for a top secret info here.... lol

around new york 47th street, the general rule of thumb is 3 keystones.

if you really want to know what that means, you'll have to bring a couple of ben franklin buddies along.... lol