Visa Expired

Advice needed please.

I have a 12 month contract as a teacher which expires on 30th September 2009. I went to Immigration for my 90 day reporting in June. They put a "receipt of notification" in my passport which said report again on 7th September. I haven't looked at my passport since then until today as I had the date stuck in my head. I then discovered that for some reason my Non-Imm 'B' visa expired on 1 September 2009.

What can I do? Is leaving and paying for a few days overstay then coming back in as a tourist the only option?

I intend staying on in Thailand. I have a son born here to a Thai woman. I had intended looking for another job in October. I am definitely not staying on in my current job and expect my current employers to give me absolutely no help whatsoever. I also expect Immigration to have no sympathy given experiences in the past.

You don't have a B visa you have an extension of stay based upon employment. Your visa probably expired some time ago.

You could get an extension of stay based upon having a Thai child. You will need proof of income of 40K baht or 400K baht in a Thai bank for 2 months and the birth certificate showing you as the child's father after you pay the overstay fine of 500 baht per day.

Or leave and get a non immigrant O visa to visa to visit your son. You can get s single at any nearby consulate or a multiple entry if you can show a bank book with 30K to 100K in KL or Penang. Since you are working you probably could show your work permit and tax payment receipts showing your income.

What ever you do you need to do it quick because 500 baht a day adds up quickly to a lot of money.

If you decide to leave I suggest you fly out because getting to a border can be risky since you are on overstay already.

Not enough coffee yet I guess I forgot that option. I think they will do it even with an overstay. They do tourist visa extensions with an overstay so I can't see them not doing this one.

It would stop the overstaty and your work permit would still be valid because you would be extending a non immigrant visa entry.

If you are doing 90 day reporting you, as said, must be on an extension of stay. So what you have to check is the stamp that says something like permitted to stay until xx xxx xxxx. That is the only date you have to be concerned with. Before that date you have to make a new extension of stay, or other arrangements.

If it is really your permitted to stay unti date that says September 1 you are indeed on overstay and need to follow above posts. You can not use a tourist visa as that does not allow work.

All extensions cost 1900 baht. Plus 3500 baht for the overstay.

Be sure you take the child's birth certificate with you and the house book they are listed in. It would be a good idea to take their mother along also.

Don't forget you will need copies of all the above plus your passport pages and TM6 departure card. And a photo for the application form.

Edited by ubonjoe

UPDATE

I went to the Immigration Office this morning. They said I could have an extension of stay until 30th September if I get all the relevant paperwork from my current employer. I asked about a 60 day extension based on having a child here (brought him with me as evidence). Answered with "cannot" and folded arms. I thought it was useless to argue.

Even if I could get the paperwork from my current employer I don't think I would. Having to pay for an extension and a work permit for 23 days all due to a clerical error on their part plus a general lack of concern for their foreign teachers means they have lost a valuable employee.

The bottom line is I'm going to Laos to get a tourist visa to keep me going until my next job.

Thanks to all for your help. You guys are really great and if I ever meet any of you, a beer or two or three will be bought. You have helped restore my faith in human nature.

Edited by seahorse

I think the immigration officer was wrong and I would of asked to talk to a supervisor.

Take your child's birth certificate and house book with you and get a single entry non-o visa. That way you will not have to go out and get another visa when you start your new job or even get an extension of stay based upon having a Thai child instead of employment.

The 90 day entry can be turned into 150 days by getting the 60 day extension. In the long run it is much beater than a tourist visa.

Edited by ubonjoe

I was going to ask Joe to upload it, as I agree with you Lite. I would rather have it. As John Lee Hooker sang, it's better to have and don't need than to need and don't have. I have had enough experience with immigration officials over the years that I know they don't always know the regulations. Thanks again.

So you are now on overstay. Only option is to leave the country and obtain single non-O visa at neighbouring consulate. You can use that to obtain future work permit. Can extend by 60 days (if needed) on basis of Thai child. Then obtain 12 month extension on basis of employment (assuming employer has 2 years financial accounts).