Sky Train / Bus Route To U.s. Embassy?

scottydel

Hello!

Any tips for taking the sky train or the local city buses to the U.S. Embassy, from Khaosan Road, or possibly from Sukumvit?

The U.S. Embassy's address is...

Consular Section, U.S. Embassy Bangkok

95 Wireless Road, Bangkok 10330, Thailand

I've done the trip from Khaosan several times now, always get dinged 200-300 for a car taxi, maybe 150 for a motorcycle taxi.

Would love to find a sky train or local bus route to learn by rote :)

I may stay in Sukumvit this time around (which I've never done before) so if you have any tips starting from there, shoot. If my map-reading is worth a hoot, I believe Sukumvit is MUCH closer to the U.S. Embassy than Khaosan.

Oh yeah, I don't mind walking a bit (say up to 30 minutes), so if you can put me on a sky train or bus that stops close to the Embassy, awesome.

Thanks,

Scott

Ploen Chit station get out and walk down the street

Correct change at Siam, its one stop , Go down the Stairs on the left side , turn right and its about 100yards on the left the Uk visa place is just past it

Edited by Thongkorn

Hop on a bus (511, or 2 which is free...but look at the signs) down by Kok Wua junction (Tanao/Ratchadamnoen) then can ride bus all the way to 'Wireless Road'.

Can also get a bus from your area to Ratchathewi BTS which is also on the Sukhumvit line (and probably the closest BTS to you)

Hop on a bus (511, or 2 which is free...but look at the signs) down by Kok Wua junction (Tanao/Ratchadamnoen) then can ride bus all the way to 'Wireless Road'. Can also get a bus from your area to Ratchathewi BTS which is also on the Sukhumvit line (and probably the closest BTS to you)

Also, if you're not a U.S. citizen, get there early, as a significant snaking line forms even an hour after they open which moves slowly due to the security procedures involved in letting people in (only a few every few minutes).

If you are a U.S. citizen, you're in luck because you can then just walk right up to the front and show your passport to the security goons in the window on the right and they will motion for you to go immediately to the head of the line! The sign indicating this doesn't come into view until you turn the corner leading up to the entrance, so it is obviously helpful to know this ahead of time!! (unlike in my case...argh)

Good luck.

Edited by ballzafire

If you are a U.S. citizen, you're in luck because you can then just walk right up to the front and show your passport to the security goons in the window on the right and they will motion for you to go immediately to the head of the line! The sign indicating this doesn't come into view until you turn the corner leading up to the entrance, so it is obviously helpful to know this ahead of time!! (unlike in my case...argh)

I thought I read recently that American citizens could make online appointments now.

OK, first of all, 200 to 300 baht in a taxi is much too much. The maximum a metered taxi should cost from Khao San to Wireless Road is 80 to 100 baht. Maybe 120 if there are traffic jams. DON'T take any cabs lurking at the bottom of KSR, or near hotels or tourist attractions. Always wave down a moving taxi. Always lean into the cab first and tell the driver your destination. If he nods, yes, you get in and 99 percent of the time he'll start his meter and off you go. If he even ATTEMPTS to discuss a flat fare, get out and find another taxi.

The cheapest and fastest way is to take the Saen Saep canal boat. From KSR, come out at Democracy monument and walk down Ratchadamnoen to the next big intersection. Just under the right side of the street is a pier or landing stage that's Phanfa Leelard, the end of the canal boat line. Jump on - you'll pay the boat boy or girl about 12 baht. In about 15 minutes, you'll have to change boats at Prathunam. No big deal, just follow the crowd; your ticket's still good. And the 2nd stop after that is Wireless Road. Walk straight down the road, cross over Ploenchit, and there's your embassy. This method is cheap, direct (no traffic) and FUN!

Edited by billp

Hello!

Any tips for taking the sky train or the local city buses to the U.S. Embassy, from Khaosan Road, or possibly from Sukumvit?

I've done the trip from Khaosan several times now, always get dinged 200-300 for a car taxi, maybe 150 for a motorcycle taxi.

I may stay in Sukumvit this time around (which I've never done before) so if you have any tips starting from there, shoot. If my map-reading is worth a hoot, I believe Sukumvit is MUCH closer to the U.S. Embassy than Khaosan.

Oh yeah, I don't mind walking a bit (say up to 30 minutes), so if you can put me on a sky train or bus that stops close to the Embassy, awesome.

Thanks,

Scott

47 bus will take you all the way to Lumpini Park.....just walk round the corner and your there...

Bus 62 from Victory Monument, from McDonalds (Centre one) walk towards the monument, past the stairs (not up them) and past Watsons, you see an area on the left where the buses stop, at the far end of this is where the Bus 62 stops, either Red or Brown (Aircon).

BTS to Phloenchit, then motorcycle to Embassy, or if keen walk.

Edited by beano2274

Hello!

Thanks,

Scott

If you are so cheap take a boat on the canal, KLONG SAN SAEB, from the golden mountain near KAO SARN road, and stop at PLOEN CHIT, then walk 30 mns.

Hello!

Thanks,

Scott

If you are so cheap take a boat on the canal, KLONG SAN SAEB, from the golden mountain near KAO SARN road, and stop at PLOEN CHIT, then walk 30 mns.

An even cheaper way is to walk and may even be good for you. This moring I walked to Lumpini park fro Soi 8 sukumvit and walked right by the American Emb. It was lwss than 20 min into the walk.