Tourist Border Run Question

Just to check with the more knowledgeable amongst you,

I'm coming in from the US (and I'm age 27) on April 2nd, and was planning on staying with my wife's family in BKK for about six weeks to see the sights and meet my recently acquired vast family of in-laws. Mostly due to my laziness and exhaustion in getting my wife's Green Card, I figured I would come in and get the obligatory 30 day pass and we would possibly go to Malaysia (or so my wife says) for gambling before it ends and come back and get another pass when we come back to Thailand. Should I have any problems with a "border run" on this kind of visa, or should I suck it up and start sending paperwork to Los Angeles RIGHT NOW......

I'd rather not, of course, but I was hoping someone here could clarify for me...

Get a visa. Without it you could have a problem getting on your flight as you are required to have confirmed tickets out of Thailand within 30 days. All you need is a tourist visa and that should only be a short form to fill out.

I see no reason in your case to apply for a non-imm. O.

You visit as a tourist, so tourist visa is sufficient and it is cheaper.

You have choices, apply for a single entry tourist and you can stay for 60 days.

More entries cost more.

If you still want to go to Malaysia in between either apply for two entries or

apply for a re-permit on the single entry visa, once here (Baht 1000)

or just leave (your single tourist visa is than used) and return with ticket on hand for the airline, valid to leave within 30 days, to get a 30 day's permit on the second entry.

Success!!

Their "10 days by mail" policy ended up being only 3 in reality, so now I've got my visa and am home free, excepting the money I wasted on all that express mail.

So thanks for all your help, Dr PP, Axel, Kenkannif, and Iopburi!!!

I'll see you in Thailand next month-you'll know me by the trail of shrill Thai women of various ages following me around yelling about things I don't understand.

Thanks again!!!

:o