Avoiding Atm Charges

holly10

Sorry if there's already topics on this but I can't seem to search at the moment. I'm in Bangkok and went to use an ATM and it said there would be a 150 baht fee. Is this standard these days? There were no charges except from my own bank last time I was here (year 2000). The charges plus my own bank fees would mean it costs about $10 AUD to take cash out. Any tips on banks that don't charge withdrawal fees would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Many threads in fact... to find them go to "search" option top right this page ... click on more search options ... type in "150 baht fee" ... select "search thread titles only" ... enter ... then scroll down the list of threads from one page to the next.

Sadly I think almost all banks now have this fee (sometimes as well as other built-in charges) ... try dealing with teller in foreign exchange booth in bank instead of atm machine

Sorry if there's already topics on this but I can't seem to search at the moment. I'm in Bangkok and went to use an ATM and it said there would be a 150 baht fee. Is this standard these days? There were no charges except from my own bank last time I was here (year 2000). The charges plus my own bank fees would mean it costs about $10 AUD to take cash out. Any tips on banks that don't charge withdrawal fees would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Not beng bothered to search through all the old threads either I'll just tell you what I do to not pay the 150Bht charge on every ATM withdrawal.

I use the K-Bank Exchange to charge my UK debit card 20,000 whenever I need some cash. All you need is your passport. I also opened a free current account with K-Bank so I didn't have to worry about carrying so much cash around or leaving it my room.

The only downside to Thai banks seems to be that they charge you to use the bank or ATM machine in a different city to where you opened the account. For DEPOSITS as well as withdrawals, which I think is a con. It's not much but it is annoying, I think it's 10 or 20 Bht for a withdrawal and 10bht for every 5000 deposited.

There is another thread on ThaiVisa that has been active for months and covers far more than anyone would want to know about Thai ATM fee saga.

The only two remaining free ATMs for foreign DEBIT cards are GSB and AEON.

Ayudyha has varying reports -- some people claim free, other claim they're charged the 150 Baht fee. The discrepancy appears to be related to the type of card being used and/or the bank that hosts the card.

This information relates ONLY to DEBIT cards -- Credit Cards are a different animal.

Here is a list of Bangkok AEON ATMs from one of the posters in the other forum:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Banks-S...57#entry2973457

• 1 month later...

There is another thread on ThaiVisa that has been active for months and covers far more than anyone would want to know about Thai ATM fee saga.

Ayudyha has varying reports -- some people claim free, other claim they're charged the 150 Baht fee. The discrepancy appears to be related to the type of card being used and/or the bank that hosts the card.

This information relates ONLY to DEBIT cards -- Credit Cards are a different animal.

Yesterday, went to local GSB machine and they wanted to charge me the 150 fee. I've been using this machine with the same card for months with no fee. Looks like the end of the road. I tried the same card, which is both a visa and a debit card in an Aeon machine back in May and it wouldn't even recognize it. It seemed the machine would only take a card issued by their company.

Yesterday, went to local GSB machine and they wanted to charge me the 150 fee. I've been using this machine with the same card for months with no fee. Looks like the end of the road. I tried the same card, which is both a visa and a debit card in an Aeon machine back in May and it wouldn't even recognize it. It seemed the machine would only take a card issued by their company.

I just wanted to update my post from yesterday. Today, I tried the same Aeon machine that didn't work for me in May, and it worked perfectly! I was so happy! Also, there was some kind of video screen on top of the machine. I glanced up at it while I was doing the transaction, and it said something about "...other banks are charging a 150 fee...", and then it disappeared and another ad took its place. I wish I could've read the whole thing, but it does indicate that they know what's going on and have chosen not to charge the fee, which is great news!

AEON is good! :)

Also, there was some kind of video screen on top of the machine. I glanced up at it while I was doing the transaction, and it said something about "...other banks are charging a 150 fee...", and then it disappeared and another ad took its place. I wish I could've read the whole thing, but it does indicate that they know what's going on and have chosen not to charge the fee, which is great news!

AEON is good! :)

Here ya go.