What Would You Do In The Following Situation...

ballzafire

Suppose your current TGF claims to have gotten in an accident. The other party claims, say 10,000B damage to her motorbike, while TGF claims only minor damage to hers. The police allegedly determine fault is by TGF and demand the money be paid immediately to the other party. Money is not immediately available, so police impound TGF's motorbike until funds are provided. If money is not provided within say 3 days, police have said they intend to transfer ownership of TGF's motorbike to other party as compensation (or keep it themselves?), and throw TGF in jail. Since motorbike is impounded, I am unable to inspect it, nor is there anyone to contact. There is also, apparently, no documentation involved, either (yes, strange, but then T.I.T.)...

Anyone out there familiar with Thai law know what to do in this scenario? I know TH is corrupt as hel_l, but there are still such things as lawyers, judges, and courts of law to determine true liability.

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by ballzafire

I would check at the Police station to find out if the story is true.

All accidents are reported, did she have insurance, if so the insurance company will know

about the accident. Surely she must have the number of the other person involved, or

the policeman. This sounds more like Jackanory.

I bet you have enough to cover the 10,000baht..................be careful

I would check at the Police station to find out if the story is true. All accidents are reported, did she have insurance, if so the insurance company will know about the accident. Surely she must have the number of the other person involved, or the policeman. This sounds more like Jackanory. I bet you have enough to cover the 10,000baht..................be careful

I would also like to add that I am out of town at the moment, so cannot perform immediate due diligence. But it does sound fishy. And I have no intention of coughing up the money, given the lack of verifiable information.

In addition, I would also like to state that I have not known this particular woman very long, either (yes, another red flag and another reason to move on...)

Edited by ballzafire

Ball did she ask you for the 10k?

What do you think? She called, explained the situation, and said, "No, honey, don't help. I'll just sign over my motorbike and go to jail..."?

Of course, she asked for the money. What do women do?

Edited by ballzafire

I dont know if the story is true, but one thing is for sure, and I know for a fact that this kind of procedure is not uncommon in the Police.

They sometimes keep the weichles until a fine is paid.

In this case, if the accident really happened, it also might be that the particular Police Officer in this case favour one of the parts.

I dont know if the story is true, but one thing is for sure, and I know for a fact that this kind of procedure is not uncommon in the Police.

They sometimes keep the weichles until a fine is paid.

In this case, if the accident really happened, it also might be that the particular Police Officer in this case favour one of the parts.

I agree. Often someone reaches out to a "friendly" BiB and says help me settle this and there is something in it for you, or the BiB makes the suggestion. The woman could very well be a victim of this. Before jumping to the conclusion that the woman is a crook, take the time to get the facts. If there is insurance, let the insurer do this. If there isn't insurance, then she is screwed and might be able to negotiate the 10,000 down. Consider that amount as the starting point for negotiations. Women often get ripped off and exploited in these situations so keep that in mind too.

If money is not provided within say 3 days, police have said they intend to transfer ownership of TGF's motorbike to other party as compensation (or keep it themselves?)

I don't know about the rest of the story, however, this is complete <deleted>. Apart from a court ruling, which can take months or years to get, the only person who can authorise a transfer of ownership, is the owner, or a third party who has "power of attorney" for the owner.

"All accidents are reported, did she have insurance, if so the insurance company will know

about the accident."

All accidents are not reported to an insurance company. It's often worked out faster at the PD. Very common.

The m/c may be impounded somewhere at the police department. Once back in town, look around the PD and you'll probably find it.

Where are you? Are you in some other country and the woman is calling you and telling you this? Or you are not in the same city or what?

If it were me, I'd say: "This is so out of my reach that you will either have to deal with it yourself, or wait for me to come and see what the hel_l the deal is. You know better than I do how to stall the process."

Why do foreigners think that they are obligated to fish some Thai girl out of these sorts of scams?

BTW, isn't 10,000 baht a pretty serious accident for a motorbike? I never have been in an accident there, but I thought when I was talking to my friend about his car one time that even car repairs were pretty cheap there. I just can't imagine a motorbike fender bender being 10,000 baht... your girlfriend would be in the hospital. At least that's how it seems to me from what I've heard. Anyone?

BTW, isn't 10,000 baht a pretty serious accident for a motorbike? I never have been in an accident there, but I thought when I was talking to my friend about his car one time that even car repairs were pretty cheap there. I just can't imagine a motorbike fender bender being 10,000 baht... your girlfriend would be in the hospital. At least that's how it seems to me from what I've heard. Anyone?

I agree. An accident that causes 10,000 baht damage would normally put someone in hospital... and especially since Thais never wear protective clothing. I bought a motorcycle for the mother of a Thai family I take care of. The mother loaned the scooter to her 14 year old daughter and the girl was in an accident which I understand smashed the motorbike. Now I get requests for hospital bills. I'm not there, I don't know the details, but it's something they have to work out themselves. I only send a set amount each month. If they use the money foolishly it's their problem. I don't buy motorbikes for children to ride.

I suggest the OP on this topic leaves it up to the girlfriend to deal with. It was her mistake and she is responsible. Thais have to learn that only they are responsible for their own actions.

UPDATE:

Well, well, well...

Upon conclusion of a followup call and update of her situation, it appears that she has now somehow borrowed the money necessary to have her motorbike "returned" to her. But she is still asking (more like begging...) me to cover her "expense" for this. The amount is 9000B.

So, choose from the following:

1. She's, in fact, a scammer/chiseler/con-artist and the whole thing was made up

2. She's got a friend/relative on the police force who's colluding with her to scam foreigners (yes, this is not uncommon in TH)

3. She's got friends/relatives who indeed fronted her the money to quickly"settle" the matter out of court

4. [fill in the blank]

I choose #1 and am now deeply suspicious of this woman and will be terminating the relationship because she refuses to provide more details for "personal" reasons.

Too bad. I found her to be of above-average looks, intelligence, and "womanly skills" (a classic femme fatale, wouldn't you say guys?)

Time to move on...

Edited by ballzafire

If money is not provided within say 3 days, police have said they intend to transfer ownership of TGF's motorbike to other party as compensation (or keep it themselves?)
I don't know about the rest of the story, however, this is complete <deleted>. Apart from a court ruling, which can take months or years to get, the only person who can authorise a transfer of ownership, is the owner, or a third party who has "power of attorney" for the owner.

Yes, but the police and/or injured party can twist her arm into signing over the motorbike, can't they? It is a possibility (and does happen, of course), but not in this case, as I have concluded...

UPDATE:

Well, well, well...

Upon conclusion of a followup call and update of her situation, it appears that she has now somehow borrowed the money necessary to have her motorbike "returned" to her. But she is still asking (more like begging...) me to cover her "expense" for this. The amount is 9000B.

So, choose from the following:

1. She's, in fact, a scammer/chiseler/con-artist and the whole thing was made up

2. She's got a friend/relative on the police force who's colluding with her to scam foreigners (yes, this is not uncommon in TH)

3. She's got friends/relatives who indeed fronted her the money to quickly"settle" the matter out of court

4. [fill in the blank]

I choose #1 and am now deeply suspicious of this woman and will be terminating the relationship because she refuses to provide more details for "personal" reasons.

Too bad. I found her to be of above-average looks, intelligence, and "womanly skills" (a classic "femme fatale", wouldn't you say guys?)

Time to move on...

Yes you've turned down a request for help........and many here would have done the same, 10k baht is just to much of a risk....move on

She'll be fine....she just had a narrow escape....but don't worry she'll soon get over that....

Yes, the high amount -- WITHOUT providing details of what was damaged -- was what raised a red flag in this situation (she just said that the other party's bike was effectively "totalled". Yeah, right. And no bodily injury involved? Not likely...)

The solution to your dilema (I can't spell that word right now) is oh so simple.

Any costs, be they for the repair of a bike or repair of a person, would surely be paid upon the presentation of a bill.

Once you see the bill/invoice then you have a deal, if no bill then no deal.

Problem sorted.

Edited by Moonrakers

The solution to your dilema (I can't spell that word right now) is oh so simple.

Any costs, be they for the repair of a bike or repair of a person, would surely be paid upon the presentation of a bill.

Once you see the bill/invoice then you have a deal, if no bill then no deal.

Problem sorted.

Too right. I have a good little side business going knocking up fake bills on the apple mac. We only ask for 25% - ww.buffalo_bill.com :)