Crackdown Fails To Stop Suvarnabhumi Airport Gangs

george

Nice story, but 1200THB with Thai Airways ... naah, liar! :)

When I was last at Suvarnabhumi in June, on my way to Udon a guy approached me after being turned away from Air Asia for missing the check in time by 5 minutes (woops, 1 too many beers at the bar the night before and slept in).

He had what appeared to be a legitimate TAT ID Card, which he showed me. He claimed to be a tourist transport assistant and offered to help me rebook another flight. I guess he took me for fresh meat, and I probably appeared so as I still felt a bit tipsy.

He quoted me a price of 3500thb for a ticket to Udon, which I knew was rubbish. Pretty impressive though, he communicated (in English) to someone via RT (Radio, for those of you not in the business of using the walky talkies) who quoted the price, apparently from the Thai Airways desk. He told me he would take cash and arrange for the ticket for me.

I told him I would go and check other prices, and meet him in 10 minutes if I did not find a cheaper price. Went straight to the Thai Counter near the oversize baggage collection and booked for 1200b...

Surely the state of the art airport has cameras and we all know has ample security to kick out taxis not willing to pay to sit in the rank, so could there not be someone monitoring people walking around the airport dealing with large numbers of foreigners for hours on end? I work in surveillance and know for a fact that this type of activity is extremely easy to pick up (same people, same behaviour, day after day)and stop (trespassing these same people from the entrance doors inwards and putting their faces on a board on the wall).

It seems they did not try very hard on their crack down. Does TAT not understand that once a farang gets scammed in a country, they never usually return unless they have a very good reason? I will never return to Malaysia for that reason - the scamming is on a much bigger and more agressive level than in LOS.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One measure has been to transfer some officials who were thought to be involved with the gangs. A reshuffle of officials will be made this month, he said. Mr Serirat said the AoT will spend 15 million baht starting on Oct 1 to try and end the illegal operations.

This makes me laugh !

Instead of firing rotten apples like they deserve, they get transferred to another position,.. where they will most likely find a similar way to fill their greedy pockets ! :)

totster :D

It should make anyone laugh, except for the fact that this is precisely Thailand's problem for 60 years. Do not upset the status quo, do not disturb the system, the sad thing is that all the hi-rakis involved are considered stand-up guys in Thailand elitist system. Stealing is fine, as long as it is not from them. The system locks up teenage people with a party pill for 8 months but this scum will get simply another position. They lay down and after a few months they are free to get involved in the same business again. a typical case of TIT

You have to love the idea that as the "AUTHORITIES" they are intimidated. Those dastardly bad guys standing in full view of the law can be so hard to catch.

Isn't this an airport which is supposed to have quite a lot of officers of the law inside? Even the odd guy with a gun.

Laughing aside, these people aren't going anywhere unless they get the tea money back that they have paid to get in there in the first place.

When I heard that Abhisit was getting involved with this personally, I did wonder if this was going to become a rod for his own back. Maybe they need to do it Chuwit style and bring in the heavies.

Public executions would prove remarkably effective so lets have a few beheadings on the roof of the car park !

But seriously all that is really required is sufficient determination on the part of the authorities. Who is in charge of that airport, AOT or the gangs ? If AOT cannot do any better perhaps they should just move out and let the gangs officially run the airport.

i cant believe fraud isits such on a large scale here. why cant people earn a living normally without having to resort to ripping people off for a living?

Yeah in a perfect world, but this is Thailand where they learn from a young age that baht is the most important aspect of their life then Mom and Dad....so how you obtain is irrelevant, go to any village at the lowest political level and they are handing out money for the public vote and it is not just the dirt poor farmer accepting the money and voting for the corrupt leader (it is the norm they really aren't corrupt). Becoming a government school teacher even takes putting out some tea money to the right people to secure that awesome government job, corruption abound it is the norm.

so these fraudulent operators aren't pulling out to save face, this doesn't do much for the reputation of the Prime Minister. If he can't control a bunch of lowlifes at the airport what chance has he got when he makes real decisions that require something to change.

AMEN brother!!

Spiraling downward every day. Pretty soon Cambodia is going to look like a modern developed country next to Thailand. It is quite disappointing to see that no one in power will stand up to the corruption and crack some heads. Has this type of behavior just been accepted by all? Where will it end?

One measure has been to transfer some officials who were thought to be involved with the gangs. A reshuffle of officials will be made this month, he said. Mr Serirat said the AoT will spend 15 million baht starting on Oct 1 to try and end the illegal operations.

* This article is the first in a series on irregularities at Suvarnabhumi airport.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-09-06

Spend 15 million baht for what?? If the police and authorities did their job and sacked, arrested or prosecuted the offenders there would be no need to spend any money at all. This place is doomed if the authorities cannot even control a bunch of crooks at the airport. Does not say a lot for law and order in the kingdom. Sad to say, another nail in the coffin for tourism in Thailand. They are talking about opening another police station just for the airport, this will just mean more pockets to line and nothing will change. What a joke. :):D :D :D

This has always been a problem at the airport. I remember hearing about it many, many years ago when I first came to Thailand, but it was far less blatant than it is now. It was also a lot less expensive, I might add.

I wonder how much of this has to do with the improved standard of English. When I first came here, it was pretty hard to find anyone who could smooth talk their way to a tourist.

They just keep "stoking the fire" with more of the bad/scary news which turns more and more tourists away from Thailand............. I just can't believe that they won't use a heavy hand and clean up some of these problems..........

so these fraudulent operators aren't pulling out to save face, this doesn't do much for the reputation of the Prime Minister. If he can't control a bunch of lowlifes at the airport what chance has he got when he makes real decisions that require something to change.

are you saying that he should be the one managing the problems at the airport ? Maybe you should be railing at the Justice Minister - you know the man in charge of the Police force who are supposed to be arresting wrongdoers.

If you don't know Thailand or haven't been traveling from your country you have to realize there is a difference in areas where the foreigners are. The rest of Thailand magnetizes to these areas such as Bangkok and especially the airport and also Pattaya. They come from all over Thailand and then return to their home provinces. What they do around foreigners is look at a foreigner very closely and try to determine exactly how many months the foreigner has been in Thailand and what he knows about Thailand and the prices of things and where things are. What they do when they've concluded that you don't know Thailand or where anything is in then they'le charge you any ridiculous price for what ever it is your trying to get like a taxi or a hotel room or a bar girl or food. What you get in these areas is way over charged and what they give is not the real thing that you were trying to get. The more you pay the wrong price for something the worse the thing is. This doesn't happen in all areas of Thailand. The price of things is the price of things and the people in the area are from the area and haven't magnated there to try to over charge strangers and foreigners for goods and services temporarily and then run back to their provinces with there catch.

So sadly to say you must KNOW Bangkok and the airport and Pattaya and where to find everything you need and NEVER ask any one standing there for ANYTHING.

You could in all the other un falong occupied provinces and cities and the people there would probably be friendly and honest and direct you accurately and charge the going rate of whatever it is your trying to get. But not at Suvuhmbarmi or in a lot of Bangkok or Pattaya. They'le through experience with you the stupid foreigner - over charge you and give a peice of crap for whatever it is you just tried to buy or use.

I don't see the problem.

I have come thru the airport twice in the last month and only saw a few people waiting at arrivals. Only the yellow coated taxi girls asked me if i wanted a taxi. No one asking if i want to go to Pattaya, no one hassling me about taxis.

What's all the fuss?

There are always fools being parted with their money. Why the song and dance? Sour grapes?

The nub of this report is that AOT executives are involved in protecting the arrival hall scamsters, and that they are too well connected or too elite be touched.

I had never thought that that was the reason the scamsters act with (virtual) impunity. Accepting that fact, which for someone who's been in Amazing Thailand for a long time is quite easy, I give up.

Nothing can be done, Nothing will ever change. Who is this Abhisit, anyway? The prime minister, did you say? What's he got to do with it? This is Thailand.

I'll just continue with my usual remedy, which is a loud "F*** off!" to anybody offering me anything. It's not the ideal way to arrive home and speak to the first person, but I just boil over at these scum and their freedom to be scum.

It's also quite satisfying to bawl "f*** off" at scum and know they can do nothing about it.

Crackdown fails to stop airport gangs

ILLEGAL OPERATORS DEFY AUTHORITIES

I hope we are not forgetting THE BAGGAGE THIEVES. In this instance I believe the ground hosteses at the check in are in on the deal. (is it O.K. to tell my gut feeling?)

I was a business class passanger on Qatar Airways at BKK heading via Doha for Amman in Jordan whereupon my very distinctive bag did not arrive with me and has not turned up to date. I din't realize I had no bagage receipt until I reached Amman and the receipt is usually attached to the smaller of the check in stubs which I still have. QA's lost baggage web has failed to retrieve it and they were completely non cooperative in the many attemps to contact them by phone(does this make QA an accessory?).

On reflection I did not receive the baggage receipt at all, trusting that business class might have gotten a proirity.

In any event either QA are responsible. Whether or not it is the fault of the ground hostess who accepted my baggage, ground staff at BKK, Doha or Amman or the thieves in BKK baggage handling, remains to be seen. Has anybody else similar experiences please respond.

Hunkey Dorey

Edited by webfact
Quote fixed

It's no good relying on either the Thai Government ot AOT to do anything about this appalling situation. Corruption is so high that even the Prime Minister has an uphill struggle just to stay alfloat.

This is a job for the Airline Operators Committee to take on board. An effective solution would be for a pre-landing announcement to be made by Cabin Crew warning Passengers against illegal taxi touts and Tour Guides. If the Airlines take such a common approach the problem could vanish overnight.

The illegal operaters AREn the AOT authorities.

Absolutely correct.

The only way to solve the problem is to sack everyone that works at the airport, than employ totally new bosses and staff.

No point in recruiting from Thailand, as the same problems will only arise again. Maybe foreigners perhaps. Oh dear, sorry forgot, this is against Thai law. Naaa, no use, just carry on as usual and forget the whole deal.

If you don't know Thailand or haven't been traveling from your country you have to realize there is a difference in areas where the foreigners are. The rest of Thailand magnetizes to these areas such as Bangkok and especially the airport and also Pattaya. They come from all over Thailand and then return to their home provinces. What they do around foreigners is look at a foreigner very closely and try to determine exactly how many months the foreigner has been in Thailand and what he knows about Thailand and the prices of things and where things are. What they do when they've concluded that you don't know Thailand or where anything is in then they'le charge you any ridiculous price for what ever it is your trying to get like a taxi or a hotel room or a bar girl or food. What you get in these areas is way over charged and what they give is not the real thing that you were trying to get. The more you pay the wrong price for something the worse the thing is. This doesn't happen in all areas of Thailand. The price of things is the price of things and the people in the area are from the area and haven't magnated there to try to over charge strangers and foreigners for goods and services temporarily and then run back to their provinces with there catch.

So sadly to say you must KNOW Bangkok and the airport and Pattaya and where to find everything you need and NEVER ask any one standing there for ANYTHING.

You could in all the other un falong occupied provinces and cities and the people there would probably be friendly and honest and direct you accurately and charge the going rate of whatever it is your trying to get. But not at Suvuhmbarmi or in a lot of Bangkok or Pattaya. They'le through experience with you the stupid foreigner - over charge you and give a peice of crap for whatever it is you just tried to buy or use.

I agree. When I lived in Saraburi and later in Dindang in Bangkok, I was treated equally to locals and known by name. In fact, in Saraburi where there are few foreigners, I was often treated better (some motorcycle taxi drivers would offer to take me for free for example)! In other parts of Thailand, I am approached much less frequently than before and can usually with one comment be rid of the touts at the airport. I think it's not just want you say, but also your demeanour that indicates that you "know the score" and are going to be much harder work.

How bloody hard can it be to label REAL airport officials and REAL taxi drivers with a badge with a large ID number (yes, the fancy ones with holograms, or even fancier, with RFID + track 'em à la "24"). Then add a rotating bunch of helpless-looking farang undercover "spies" (only reporters, never disclosed) to point out rotten eggs. Then set up posters in the immigration and baggage claim areas with pictures of the badges & a warning; enough time there for anyone to learn them by heart anyway.

Come off it -- 15m bath would go a long way to implement something simple like that. You could even throw in a complaints booth manned with non-TAT/AOT folks (the interior ministery could surely come up with something)...

But then, some thought should maybe also be given to AOT limo/bus prices, and how easy it should be for those of us who are a bit thick to find the bus terminal (maybe I'm blind, but the last time I looked, I couldn't quite figure it out... guess that makes me thick as a brick).

Action instead of soothing words and jamming millions of baht into conference rooms?? Just my thoughts...

The corruption starts at the top and to try to clean up anything is simply a lost cause. In my opinion, the corruption is getting even worse and the police are openly corrupt. At one time they tried to hide it.

At what time in ancient history are you referring to when you suggest that the police hid, or even just tried to hide, their corrupt practices as certainly no such state of affairs has existed in my lifetime? Unlike many western countries where organized crime has merely significant influence, Thailand is a nation-state that is actually controlled by organized crime. Of course in the US we have a very different type of organized criminal gangs that gather under the roof we call Wall St.

I don't see the problem.

I have come thru the airport twice in the last month and only saw a few people waiting at arrivals. Only the yellow coated taxi girls asked me if i wanted a taxi. No one asking if i want to go to Pattaya, no one hassling me about taxis.

What's all the fuss?

There are always fools being parted with their money. Why the song and dance? Sour grapes?

???I have come thru that airport at least a dozen times since it opened, and EVERY time I am accosted by more than one well dressed guy/girl for a Taxi, even downstairs in the Bus station, peope are calling "Pattaya?? Pattaya?? taxi real cheap"........no amount of 'Mai Bai Khrap' could shake these hecklers. You must look look Thai or look mean enough they don't want to mess with you ........ :)

It is sensationalism, pure and simple. Firstly, I wonder if a story of this nature is printed and distributed in the Thai language media? Secondly, and so on, I wonder if any tourist or even any legitimate expat would be able to tell the difference between a law abiding transaction and an alleged legal one. Just what exactly is a crime in Thailand, and who exactly is the law authorized to enforce it; and, if negligent in enforcement, wouldn't that be a form of condoning, and even possibly guilt by association? And does that really even matter? What is the basis for interpreting all of this? Who is this reporter and whose "opinion" does he/she/heshe represent? At the end of the day, T.I.T. and as dysfunctional as it may seem, when attempting to seperate the white from the black, one finds mostly gray in the middle. A little bit of this and a little bit of that on both sides make for bad and good. Perhaps I get a good taxi, but when I get home and go out for a drive, I get pulled over for some amazing thing and end up funding the Sang Som and Coke Relief Fund for Pattaya's Finest. And then I go to the beach and get charged double for service fees and items. Yet I must also remember that my mental and physical health have improved dramatically since I came here to live some time ago, and this is one of the only places in the world that returns a genuine smile when I initiate a smile. A little bit of this and a little bit of that. My worst day here is better than my best day in the USA. Realistically, I cannot make any sense of it all based on any European or Western mindset. It is what it is, and that means neither good nor bad. Everyone is getting fleeced, and I suspect even the fleecers are getting fleeced, and simply resorting to the best thing they can think of, and the best means of survival they know, in order to make a baht or two. P.T. Barnum said there's a sucker born every second, and that's simply tough luck for the person stupid enough to buy a ticket in a dubious situation (at least it shoud be laughable to any semi-intelligent person). In the end, no one is being shot, stabbed, mugged, raped or worse at the airport. Were we in Angeles City, this story would not even make the back page. It is business as usual, I suspect, and, oh, we never heard what happens to the baht that is paid to release these "criminals", did we? I suspect they are right back at there duty the next evening doing the same thing. So, in the end, it is a beautiful dance, and everyone gets there cut, except for the one shelling out the money. It's no different than any big oil company that gets fined 50,000 US per day for dumping toxic waste in the ocean, while at the same time raking in 1 billion per day in profits. So... I wonder, is this getting attention in the Thai language media? After all, it is their country and definitely their "problem". I hope that as the word of the railway gets out, and the Internet broadens the knowledge of the unsuspecting traveler - educating them about these normal events here in the LOS - that these desperately unscrupulous people will be compelled into more honest and edifying trades, as we all know that crime does not pay for long, but honesty and good customer service outlasts them all. I do not respect the reporter's interpretation of this story, as the disparaging adjectives are slung around summarily and without respect for the plausible reasons for why these people resort to these sorts of behaviors. It could have been handled more objectively, and in a manner that would not call names at people who are simply out to survive with the way they were brought up to survive, trained and indoctrinated by the society that raised them; a beast whose only purpose is the need to survive to perpetuiate itself. But it is a beast that can be tamed and actually trained to make life one of the most enjoyable experiences we have ever experienced. I do not condone it, but I have learned to be smart enough to avoid it with a genuine smile, nod, and a polite Mai ow Krahp, Kahp Kuhn Krahp!

As always actions speak louder than words and when it comes to Thailand there's very little action.

Why doesn't Thailand have hard hitting investigative journalists who can shame these people out of a job? It's obvious to me that these "gangs" are sanctioned by AOT officials and the links should be out there in the open to find. Portray said officials as causing harm to the country and they'll stop or be forced to resign.

One measure has been to transfer some officials who were thought to be involved with the gangs.

Of course the idea of simply sacking some of these officials is a non-starter. Wouldn't want them to lose too much face, would we? :)