Import Bikes

lioness

Has anyone experience of bringing in a bike from Australia?

I have 2 ex police Bikes, very old but one in perfect working order. Yamaha 750cc. They can be broken down into parts if necessary.

Some information on how you went about it and what company to use for shipping would be helpful and any problems you encountered.

I don't need to hear from the people who say don't bother, it's too complicated as I am going to do it anyhow, just hoping to hear from someone who has done this successfully.

Cross forum posting is not allowed, right? Check out the GT-Rider forum for a long narrative of a trade insider.

Don't bother!

Do your homework, there are tons of bikes in the country with no rego and no green book. some have "import papers".

What's the going price for a new green book? 62,000 cost?

Even if your time is free and you are cool with this taking half a year.

Chris

lioness..'just hoping to hear from someone who has done this successfully. '

I think there may be one or two people that have brought bikes in succesfully( ie. within budget and cost). BUT i have never heard of any posting in over 3 years on this site and Gt riders. I have though heard of a few that have NOT managed to do it within budget and costs. eg: they got charged an awful lot of money. As you know it's not just the import duties but then when its here it has to have an emissions test before you can get a green book ( if you get a proper legal greenbook your looking at about 70,000b).

I would love to hear from anybody that has got their bike in for a reasonable cost.

One question what bikes are they? reason i'm asking is that i know where there are a couple of ex-thai police xj's for sale so a number change and you could get a green book relatively cheap. pm me if interested. Allan

Thanks for those replies, seems I will have to start from scratch.

I'm not doing this because I want just any bike I know there are bikes available in Thailand, these are to be a birthday gift for a very good friend, it's a personal thing. Cost immaterial and I have 8 months before his birthday. I will give it a go, and see how it ends up.

Lioness... You will need to get an import license, If you are serious then get an import company to arrange the transportation of the bikes, preferable payment on full customs clearance. Good luck and please keep us informed. Allan

I recommend you speak with Transpo Logistics and get their recommendations. We use them for our business import/export. They are very well clued in, professional, and reliable. If money is no object, there will be a way to do this properly ... but it will be expensive. Please be sure to post the final results of what you learn. There are very few first-hand accounts about the process.

Are you aware what you are up to? Bureaucracy is out of control! Have local bikes gift wrapped, if you like.

This is a bad way to waste time and money. But since you have made up your mind, please follow up on how it goes...

Chris