Mcot Told Not To Broadcast Thaksin's Remarks

webfact

Good luck on shutting this guy up!

shut him and freedom of speech is squashed. Irrelevant if you agree with him or not, a real democracy HAS freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech? I would like to see thaksin afford anyone else that freedom.

He is an exiled criminal and should only be allowed his freedom of speech in court.

Edited by cyb

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because thaksin got airtime at all PM's Office Minister Satit "So why do [the media] need freedom?" Wongnongtaey got gaga as usual.

read here what they think at the Bangkok Post about this http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion...d-press-freedom

Where did you get this quote from?

It's not in the BP article you linked. Are you, by any chance, putting your own words into Satit's mouth and then castigating him for that?

"So why do [the media] need freedom?" , that quote? as in PM's Office Minister Satit "So why do [the media] need freedom?" Wongnongtaey?

the underline indicate that it is a hotlink, mouse over and you will see, just click it. and that bring you to the source.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/05/04...al_30101893.php

Thanks, Rumford.

The quote is from six months ago and taken out of context.

"Community radio and television stations were popping up easฌily across the country, and many of them were used to voice political propaganda and instigate violence.

"So why do [the media] need freedom?" Satit asked."

You could read it if Satit asked whether ability to broadcast political propaganda is the underlying cause in demands for media freedom. That they actually want freedom of propaganda, which is not the same.

A few weeks after the airport takeover most of the tourists were back for New Year holidays. The effect was short-lived.

Your opinion.Most others would say the effect on Thailand's travel industry was disastrous.

The effects remain dire.Talk to any leading figure in the sector.

I would normally suggest ending this pathetic excuse for criminality, but it is of course pointless.

Minister fires before he aims

Bangkok Post Published: 9/09/2009

The government's response to the rather bland interview with fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra is disappointing. In a classic case of "shooting the messenger", PM's Office Minister Sathit Wongnongtoey clearly put pressure on the interviewer who worked with state-run MCOT. This is a terrible example to the country, and yet another poor message to all friends of Thailand overseas.

Chom Phetpradab, host of the Sunday afternoon programme on FM 100.5, has already offered to resign, in order to spare co-workers the wrath of the government's press tsar, and a bureaucratic bloodbath at MCOT. Mr Sathit should reconsider, and refocus his criticism on the issues instead of on the interviewer.

continue here: http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion...-before-he-aims

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 9/09/2009

...Mr Sathit should reconsider, and refocus his criticism on the issues instead of on the interviewer.

Heh heh, I agree - why is that people at Mcot think that they should provide space for anti-government propaganda? Jom is just a messenger, problems at Mcot run deeper than him.

Bit of a silly reaction imho. Sure point out that the interviewer is a Thaksin sympathiser and Thaksin is his ex-boss and obviosuly the whiole thing is a set up. Even question whether Jom is some Jakrapob wannabe (who also launched an ailing career with a sycophantic interview of Thaksin). However, to ban the thing is not only counterproductive but also has shall we say a few free speech implications.

I believe it is justified. And well past being due.

Thaksin has one agenda and one agenda only and that is to destroy Thailand. (or the result will surely be the destruction of the realm)

People who talk of freedom of speech or freedomless of speech are talking out of their fundamental orifice.

Thailand is on the brink of civil war and some are still seeking to justify the actions of this megalomaniac.

There are none so blind as those who do not want to see.

Go to this link < "http://www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=2637" > and you will see the type of mindless, brainless, gormless, and brain washed people who this man has recruited.

I agree 100% with the statement that "Thanksin has one agenda and one agenda only and that is to destroy Thailand." As long as this convicted criminal is allowed to stir up half the country in an attempt to overthrow the present government and put himself back in Power, Thailand can never progress. Toxin is an ego maniac who is the most dangerous voice in the world against Thailand. The cost to all of Thailand is in the millions of dollars just for security when the Red Shirts, at Toxin's orders, march for the overthrow of the Government. Thailand was greatly embarrassed in the eyes of the world when the Red Shirts were able to run off ministers and other very important dignateries from around Asia in Pattaya. Toxin must be stopped by any means necessary.

They should all have been at Jonestown, Guyana with Jim Jones.

There were no empty hotels on New Years day.

There's a general decline in tourism worldwide, don't make a mistake of attributing all of it to the airport closure.

I don't.The world recession is at least an equal factor in Thailand's tourism downturn.But the recession will pass.What will remain is the memory of the international airport being seized and the government standing by powerlessly.Furthermore the criminals responsible remain unpunished and a key supporter remains Foreign Minister.A reputation once destroyed by this kind of criminality is hard to restore.The good news is that Thailand is a very attractive destination, and I believe will eventually restore its position but the damage done by the yellow mob, the criminals that led them and the elite that gave them moral support is very severe.

There's a general decline in tourism worldwide, don't make a mistake of attributing all of it to the airport closure.

I don't.The world recession is at least an equal factor in Thailand's tourism downturn.But the recession will pass.What will remain is the memory of the international airport being seized and the government standing by powerlessly.Furthermore the criminals responsible remain unpunished and a key supporter remains Foreign Minister.A reputation once destroyed by this kind of criminality is hard to restore.The good news is that Thailand is a very attractive destination, and I believe will eventually restore its position but the damage done by the yellow mob, the criminals that led them and the elite that gave them moral support is very severe.

Pishposh, hyperbole without facts again.

I posted an article here earlier from one of Sweden's biggest papers and a survey they did regarding traveling and the outcome was that neither the airport seizure nor the 'Black Songkran' violence had any noticeable affect on the travelers minds. I.e. people didn't take it into account when selecting traveling destination. People still tried to travel all the way to Thailand if they could and if they felt an economical pinch it was more likely they would vacation within the nations border or not at all.

But why listen to what tourists themselves say when you have an agenda?

So could either side please rest their "your side's action killed the tourist-industry"-nonsense now?

Edited by TAWP

What would you expect from a government that was put in power with mob rule? This government, if you can call it a government owes the yellow shirts big time and MUST protect them.

...you are absolutely right. Only the yellow mob made it possible, that the vote buying ruling party finally had to step down. We remember, that the ECs ruling to do so was done in May 2008. It took five months of protest and peaceful demonstrations for the yellow mob to learn, that those, who broke the constitutional law, will rather change the constitution and cling to power, than stepping down. The yellow mob finally decided to walk to the airport. And they did a successful job. They forced the lawbreakers out of the government. That is practised democracy. Sure thing, that those, who saved the leftovers of democracy in Thailand, deserve protection.

And just who do you think financed the yellow shirts? democracy is the law of the majority and should be achieved via the ballot box and true democracy is a long way from reality here in Thailand. The real pandemic gripping the country is not swine flu but corruption.

Is there any economic system that did not set out to protect an economic elite? Was Thaksin some kind of peasant?! Remember in sa democracy the poor are more powerful than the rich because there are more of them. So it depends on what kind of democracy you want. Generally the poor/peasants have little education. They can't run a Government. So for a democracy to work the people can pick the lesser of the evils running for political office. Every decent man is ashamed of the Government he lives under.

Even on ThaiVisa the divisiveness caused by Thaksin is evident. His quest for Power has split the nation and will continue to turn Thai against Thai and farang against farang until the day that this convicted felon disappears. He knows he would not be alive it he would criticise a government like that of Israel. He would be hunted down somewhere in the world and assassinated. At least Thailand seems to be more civilised.

All communist countries restrict or prohibit freedom of speech or personal views

The US and the UK have as well!

How you can honestly compare the freedoms enjoyed in either country compared to Thailand is frankly beyond me, try going to speakers corner on a sunday and listen to all the immigrants etc castigating the UK while a lot are receiving social security. Hamsa springs to mind.

All communist countries restrict or prohibit freedom of speech or personal views

The US and the UK have as well!

How you can honestly compare the freedoms enjoyed in either country compared to Thailand is frankly beyond me, try going to speakers corner on a sunday and listen to all the immigrants etc castigating the UK while a lot are receiving social security. Hamsa springs to mind.

D notices which normally allude to national security is not what this is about.

Trying to stop Thaksin from broadcasting is like pi--ing in the wind, it means nothing compared to the trouble it would cause if he was back in this country, prison or not, everyone here knows that if you have money then you can do most things, and he still has a lot.

There are people in politics that swop sides like most of us change our underwear and if he was back then this government would be in big trouble he would still be able to unite a lot of opposition, bear in mind the old saying, out of site out of mind. At the end of the day he's not the only politician to have his hand in the till, plenty have and still do.

I posted an article here earlier from one of Sweden's biggest papers and a survey they did regarding traveling and the outcome was that neither the airport seizure nor the 'Black Songkran' violence had any noticeable affect on the travelers minds. I.e. people didn't take it into account when selecting traveling destination. People still tried to travel all the way to Thailand if they could and if they felt an economical pinch it was more likely they would vacation within the nations border or not at all.

So could either side please rest their "your side's action killed the tourist-industry"-nonsense now?

Most single incidents are forgotten in the big picture. A footnote, but not a lasting blemish.

Some foot notes are larger, but have the same fade away lifespan.

What DOES put people off is ongoing troubles that are disruptive and never cease.

2 bad incidents are related to PAD< but before and after those

are many many ongoing Red Side violent issue that HAVE prevented

people from going around Thailand and or coming to Thailand.

I specifically know people who were inconvenienced by the airport,

but had no hesitation to come right back. And have 2-3 time since.

But those same folks ARE scared of the RedShirts

and their trouble causing habits country wide.

And yet also are fearful of the general lawlessness increase from the declining economy.

They want one government in power for some time to give stability and it must control protesters

in a proper manner. There are regular protests by many groups around the country.

Only the Thaksin modulated red ones have a propensity for regular violence with their protests.

hel_l they even beat up their OWN MEMBERS for talking back in public.

So letting Thaksin continue to egg on the red side of pay for their disruptions IS an ongoing, long term issue

and is clearly against the well being of ALL Thai's even the redshites themselves.

Edited by animatic

I specifically know people who were inconvenienced by the airport,

but had no hesitation to come right back. And have 2-3 time since.

But those same folks ARE scared of the RedShirts

and their trouble causing habits country wide.

And yet also are fearful of the general lawlessness increase from the declining economy.

They want one government in power for some time to give stability and it must control protesters

in a proper manner.

Yeah , right.

To paraphrase , most tourists believe there was some slight inconvenience when the yellows peacefully and briefly occupied the airport but what they are really really worried about (and scared!) are the reds causing trouble all over the country, and they furthermore hope the government will stay in power a long time and crack down hard on those pesky reds.

I know the internet is an anonymous forum where people can make up anything they like - but this is ridiculous.

To paraphrase , most tourists believe there was some slight inconvenience when the yellows peacefully and briefly occupied the airport but what they are really really worried about (and scared!) are the reds causing trouble all over the country, and they furthermore hope the government will stay in power a long time and crack down hard on those pesky reds.

Actually it sounds spot on to me. Good job of summing up everything for us JB!

Actually it sounds spot on to me. Good job of summing up everything for us JB!

Second it! :)

Good luck on shutting this guy up!

I thought I read several months ago that Thaksin was setting up his own Satallite service with receivers costing only 1,500 Baht for people in the North and other supporters.

If still going ahead, saves him using the Govenment TV network.

I have to say, you yellow shirt AND red shirt supporters must walk around with your heads up your fundamental orifices,we have all seen tv newsreels of yellows firing guns in the street and other acts that were not part of ANY peaceful demostrations not withstanding the illegal occupation of both airports and government house.

The red shirts, their motto seems to be "If it's good enough for you then that makes it right for us" tit for tat. When are we going to see criminal proceedings against both alleged supporters with people being charged and convicted.

Those of you that complain about Thai Rak Thai or whatever they call themselves buying votes, well it shows one thing that most of you appear to have missed, there are/were people that will/did sell their votes because they will in a lot of cases do anything for the baht, what does it say about them, and to think it was only one party buying votes you seriously need to think again, no party could have bought sufficient votes to put a party in power and remember the old saying, you get the government you deserve.

Run a pro-Thaksin interview in a government ran station is, for lack of a better word, retarded... unless this Jom guy got a juicy Thaksin-bonus for that. Something like that means he'll lose his job for sure, but if he was well paid, then he must be even happy now... all speculations, but it wouldn't be the first time Mr. T does something like that :)

Even though I'm totally in favor of freedom of speech, I'd even ban myself a convicted criminal on the run from broadcasting anything in the country, not only Mr. T, but any convicted criminal.

Have a nice day everyone.

Hmm mjust a question Mr.T got convicted by who?Hmmm,what i remember is,he got convicted by the guys who sacked a free elected government,wonder how valid a prison sentence is in that case

So where are they all then?

Thailand realities have had some real good airtime lately.

Internationally, people are getting educated as to what thailand is really all about, and they dont like it.

IMHO, the interviewer MIGHT have committed a crime by speaking to Thaksin, and should go to court to defense himself.

Let the un-bias court decides if he is guilty or not. It is not your job or mine.

But it is yours and my job to ensure the courts are unbiased, and free speach maintained.

To ensure use of the ballot box and not gun barrell democracy.