Occasional Driver/assistant In Chiang Mai

peekint

My elderly parents (84 and 81) have retired to Chiang Mai.

Dad is pretty much home-bound, but Mom is a 60-year-old in an 80-year-old body. She's quite independent and capable, but driving herself around Chiang Mai is not an option.

Mom and Dad have a full-time housekeeper/assistant already. What they need is someone they can call on to deliver (and wait for/or be called back for pickup) for:

-Shopping

-Doctor Appointments

-Eating Out

-Special Events/Entertainment

- Visiting friends.

We'd prefer mature, English-speaking and good knowledge of getting around Chiang Mai, and have a car.

For emergencies, or unexpected needs, Mom and Dad can use a taxi, but it would be nice if they had someone reliable and familiar to take them to stuff scheduled in advance.

How would I go about finding someone like that? Suggestions?

Chiang Mai has an excellent Taxi meter service.

Nice new blue & yellow air conditioned taxis, reliable and on call 24 hours per day.

Taxi Meter Center 053-244795

Thanks for the number for the metered Taxis, I was hunting for that, too!

I'm hoping to come up with sort of a part-time or on-call driver so that they see the same face each time, and the driver knows their special needs (Mom hard of hearing, Dad in a wheelchair for long distances and hard to get in/out of a car).

I'll be practicing with them using the Taxi service while we look for something more "regular"...

There are also some brand new, pink, meter taxi's here now from Bangkok where the drivers work independently.

Haven't seen those. Do you know how to find them?

No I don't know how to find them. We saw 2 parked out in the lot by Theppanya Hospital as we were having coffee in the shop in the back. My friend was chatting with one of the drivers who was having coffee too. But we didn't ask for a card.

Nice new blue & yellow air conditioned taxis, reliable and on call 24 hours per day.

Checked it out. This number is for dispatch of the red pickup trucks (song taew), not regular meter taxis.

In my experience they will never turn the meter on, even if I speak to them in Thai, and question them in Thai as to why they won't turn it on, despite the fact that it's a "taxi meter". They charge ridiculous prices in my opinion too. One joker wanted 200 baht to take me from Airport Plaza to Kad Suan Gaew!

There must be a better alternative for this couple, but I have no idea, sorry.

Thank god I've got a motorbike is all I can say!

I've always wondered what the school bus drivers do all day, after their morning drop-offs at schools but before the afternoon pickups to go home. Maybe a phone call to one of the schools would find someone free during the day, but obviously not during the school run rush hours.

CMMCB

If you've had a car I could do it for you, but I don't have wheels also.

Also I'd like to make more trips with my 79 year old mum, unfortunately years ago my Bangkok girlfriend stole my brandnew pickup and sold it :-(

Those metertaxi guys are more interested in dumping Lonely Planets at the elephantcamp or silverfactory for a huge commission rather then driving elderly on the meter. I never saw them using the meter after all.

Better you find somebody amongst friends.

Dad is pretty much home-bound, but Mom is a 60-year-old in an 80-year-old body. She's quite independent and capable, but driving herself around Chiang Mai is not an option.

Mom and Dad have a full-time housekeeper/assistant already. What they need is someone they can call on to deliver (and wait for/or be called back for pickup) for:

-Shopping

-Doctor Appointments

-Eating Out

-Special Events/Entertainment

- Visiting friends.

We'd prefer mature, English-speaking and good knowledge of getting around Chiang Mai, and have a car.

For emergencies, or unexpected needs, Mom and Dad can use a taxi, but it would be nice if they had someone reliable and familiar to take them to stuff scheduled in advance.

I could check around for you. What are you welling to pay and approximately how many hours per week are you anticipating?