Problem With Mio

emubob

Hi everyone!

Just a quick question regarding my Mio. Am very bad with mechanics so thought I would post here.

I have a 3 year old Yamaha Mio, 12,000km on the clock and have recently developed a problem. I just changed the battery over a month ago due to it being dead. The bike starts up first time everytime with the new battery but when I try to accelerate the engine just cuts out. This happens about 5 or 6 times before seemingly fixing itself after I drive for a few minutes. However, I have been stranded a couple of times trying to cross a road in the morning so a bit dangerous indeed. The problem usually happens after the bike has been idle for a few hours.

Any ideas on what the problem may be? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Emubob

For safety reasons take your Yamaha Mio to a recognised Yamaha sales/repair shop and let them fix the problem. I also have a Yamaha Mio which is almost 3 years old, and up to now hasn't given me an ounce of trouble. My friends tell me to take it for a regular oil change every 5-6,000 kilo's at the teenagers garage around the corner and that should be good enough. Not for me Sonny, for the price of 180 Baht I get a really good 4,000 kilo's service and the bike runs as pure as silk.

Edited by Pitbullman1
  • Like 1

hey, i had some serious problems with my mio

take it to a big shop not one of those dinky shops, i was taking mine to a dinky shop and he said clean the carbo, never fixed it, change the carbo...hmmm....so i took it to a big shop (the most popular in town) and those guys knew right away and replaced the part

there is a part they replace that fixes the compression for 700baht, sorry i dont know the name of it

Thanks for the replies so far.

I am pretty much due to take it for it's service shortly at the Yamaha dealership so will ask them when I take it in. However, their English is extremely poor, almost non-existant so quite difficult to explain. They look at you like you are crazy when you say your bike doesn't start then they try it and first time it works......"no problem mister!". The thing is I have driven a few km's there so the engine is warmed up and starts easily.

For some reason every time I have taken my bike to this dealership a new fault has occured within a week or so of getting my bike back. Maybe I am just unlucky!! However, thought the spark plugs may be an issue so will ask them. How often would you recommend these be replaced. Hasn't been done since I bought the bike new so maybe time to do it. Any guestimates on cost???

Thanks again and will let you know how I get on.

EB

I dont know where you are. If you are in Pattaya you could go to the Yamaha Shop at Theprasit Rd. (second on the left if you drive up from Thapraya Rd)

I gave my Bike to the Big Yamaha Shop at the Corner South Pattaya Rd and 3. Rd (Mition) and to one near to Sukhumvit. They never did much beside of changing oil. Went there some days ago with 25k on the meter. First time they changed the Air Filter, Sparke Plug and adjusted the Carb. and even where looking/listening for Vibrationsnoise at the End of the Service and fixed that too. As usual they dont speak too much english, but you can make yourself clear.

I am sure its the automatic choke that is not working in your bike. They do have a Job Order Form that lists the most important things in english and thai. One position is cabruretor, so you can ask for that, it may help.