Mosquito Zapper

petercallen

Does anyone know where you can purchase a mosquito zapper that is suitable for outdoor use, the one i am talking about is 30cm high and about 20cm square is water resistant and is effective over an area of 1000 to 2000 square metres, i have looked in the shops but cant find one in phuket. It looks similar to a lantern.

I have tried the UV ones in the past - they do not work for mosqitos, but you will attract many other insects. You can buy them in any department store.

I have a CO2 generator "black" trap which I bought after much research into the subject. Some of the "hiso" department stores have them. It was very expensive. But, to be perfectly honest, I can kill more mosqutos in 5 minutes with a 75 baht electrocution bat than this thing has ever caught in 7 months. They are also completely useless. Save your money and ignore all the advertising hype.

I do see something interesting that you might be able to use in some form. All the houses in the village here have a concrete circular ring "cesspit" which is covered with a concrete lid with a hole in it. MILLIONS of mosquitos use these things as refuge and possibly to breed? The villagers are bitten to death every night as the cesspit is always right next to the house and shower. I once took the lid off one and a huge cloud of mozzies came out - the sky literally blackened for a few moments. But - it's an excellent trap.

I showed many villagers how one single squirt of mosquito spray into the hole will kill the whole lot. And then just block the damned hole up. Funny thing is, not a single villager has done it, but they are all still complaining about being bitten. My house has been almost completely free of mosquitos since I did this. Those I have come from other nearby houses, their cesspits, and the rubbish in their "gardens". Mosquitos rarely travel more than a few dozen meters, unless they are blown by the wind.

In Bangkok, the mossies mostly live in the drains under the house/driveways. Covering all drains with a lid would work wonders, with mosquitos, cockroaches, rats, and also the stench that covers Bangkok. But again, Thais believe a drain must be open to the air for some reason.

UV light zappers are practically ineffective against mossies.. I tried a few..

Mossies key in on heat / Co2 and dark spaces.. Real mosquito traps producing CO2 do exist but I have never seen them in Thailand.

Does anyone know where you can purchase a mosquito zapper that is suitable for outdoor use, the one i am talking about is 30cm high and about 20cm square is water resistant and is effective over an area of 1000 to 2000 square metres, i have looked in the shops but cant find one in phuket. It looks similar to a lantern.

They are called "The Black Hole" and I've seen several models (sizes) in Home Pro, Tesco Lotus and Big C.

The mosquitoes are attracted by a kind of carbone dioxide (similar to the ones emited by the human body) and then are sucked by a small fan into water situated at the bottom of the machine.

The one i am talking about you can purchase in Australia, it has a brighter uv light than the ones i have seen hear and in a shaded area even worked well in the day time. had one for 10 years and it definitely got rid of the mosquito's, the ones i have tried here don't work very well.

Mosquitos simple dont have UV as one of their attractors, so brighter UV is going to have nothing to do with it.. It might randomly hit a few that stumble into the electric zone but its NOT going to work as you think.

The one i had worked well for 10 years for me the blue light attracted the mossies and if i left it on for a week no more mosquitos.

• 5 months later...

I just returned from Australia and brought a electronic insect killer called stinger ( a similar product is called yardguard ).

It has a 25 watt ultra violet globe and a 2000 volt killing grid, the outside screen has fairly fine slits so it only lets small insects through.

It attracts insects over an area of 2000 square meters and is weather proof but i would not leave it out in a thunderstorm.

We have been using it for 8 nights and it has reduced the mosquito by about 70%, they tell you in the instructions it takes 2 weeks to break the breeding cycle.

Except for a few tinny moths it is only killing mosquito's and definitely works and works very well.

How does it attract them ?? Mossies are not attracted by UV like many other insects..

CO2 attractors are the best for mossies, but not cheap..

I suggest you tell the mosquito's that, with spare globe it cost 2800 baht and as stated before it works as well here as in Australia and is the best selling model in Australia.

Hi

I have the Black Hole, hhmmm not very impressed with it.

Ditto. I saw one in a hiso estate in Samut Pakhan a few years ago. Supposed to cover an area about an acre but I got bitten stupid about 10 metres away from it.

Hopeless.

makes three of us. not very effective at all, and expensive

same brand name also has a UV with mosquito BBQ at 600 baht in Home Pro. more effective, but still not good

I'll enter my agreement that bug zappers kill more beneficial insects than mosquitoes and that the C02 units are fair at best. I live in a house with no screens next to a rice field. I learned that if I lit a mosquito coil at each corner of the house half an hour before sunset, in a very short time there were no more mosquitoes coming in. What another poster said about them is right, they only fly 30 meters or so. Once you have killed off the majority of them already living in your "zone", very few new ones will arrive. I haven't had a mosquito bite at home for months. And all it cost me was a few baht a day.

I'll enter my agreement that bug zappers kill more beneficial insects than mosquitoes and that the C02 units are fair at best. I live in a house with no screens next to a rice field. I learned that if I lit a mosquito coil at each corner of the house half an hour before sunset, in a very short time there were no more mosquitoes coming in. What another poster said about them is right, they only fly 30 meters or so. Once you have killed off the majority of them already living in your "zone", very few new ones will arrive. I haven't had a mosquito bite at home for months. And all it cost me was a few baht a day.

Its the smell of mosquito coils the keeps the mossies away i don't believe they actually kill them unless they in a confined area with the coil.

Its the same with insect repellent you put on your skin, they don't like the smell so they keep away from you.

How does it attract them ?? Mossies are not attracted by UV like many other insects..

CO2 attractors are the best for mossies, but not cheap..

I suggest you tell the mosquito's that, with spare globe it cost 2800 baht and as stated before it works as well here as in Australia and is the best selling model in Australia.

http://www.control-mosquitoes.com/#mf13

A Notre Dame University study in South Bend Indiana showed that people with a zapper in their backyard got bit 10% more than people without one because zappers attracted mosquitoes but did not kill them

http://www.livingwithbugs.com/mos_blt.html

Do blacklight "bug zapper"-type traps work for mosquitoes & biting flies?

A frequently cited study, Frick, T. B. and D. W. Tallamy. 1996. Density and diversity of nontarget insects killed by suburban electric insect traps. Entomological News. 107(2): 77-82, found that blacklight traps do a poor job of attracting biting flies like adult female mosquitoes and biting gnats, and, in fact, attracted and killed many more beneficial insect species. The traps were therefore considered to be environmentally harmful because of damage to the natural fauna.

The bottom line - don't use blacklight "bug zapper"-type traps for mosquitoes. If you must use a trap try one of the propane-fueled carbon dioxide traps since they are far more selective and won't attract as many beneficial species (see Using Propane Mosquito Traps).

Edited by LivinLOS

Well livinlos this is all i can tell you.

When we first started using the zapper in the evening it was working constantly once the sun set and if i did not use personal insect repellent

i was bitten by mosquito's day and night.

Last night it went of no more than 15 times it the 3 hours we were sitting outside and neither myself or my wife was bitten once (they seem

to prefer me for some reason maybe i taste better).

If all the experts are right and experts change there minds on lots of things all the time The only explanation is all the mosquito's must have

gone on holidays.

I know when its working because when a mosquito makes contact with killing grid it makes a sharp popping sound.

With all the blood carried viruses mosquito's can transmit and i believe they carry other viruses which no one will admit to, don't forget the female

mosquito is just a flying syringe and needs blood to lay her eggs, if you disturb her while she is biting you and has not drunk enough she will go

and bite someone else i am very happy the mosquito's have gone on holidays

OR THE ONLY OTHER EXPLANATION IS A PROPERLY DESIGNED ZAPPER WORKS AS IT DOES FOR US NO MATTER WHAT THE SO CALLED

EXPERTS SAY.

I could not buy a decent mosquito here as said before i had to bring one in.

Another method i use to keep the mosquitoes down is to use crack and crevice spray and spray my own drains/tanks

and also the street drains within a reasonable distance of the house.

It also gets rid of the cockroaches as well and the drains are full of them.

Best way is to try to remove sources of standing water eg overfilled plant pots/old tyres etc. I believe in Canada you can be fined if you do not do this.

The problem is the septic tanks and the street drains which carry the waste water from the houses,

they always have water in them and this is where the mosquito's are breeding.