The California Grill, In Tescos, Hang Dong

sassienie

The last couple of years I have enjoyed eating at the California Grill located in the Hang Dong branch of Tescos.

Served nice meals, including fish and Chips, burgers, steaks all at low prices.

Yesterday a friend emailed informing me that it had appeared to be closed down because the premises had been cleared and was empty.

Seems like many such establishments are biting the dust lately.

So is Chiang Mai now Thailand’s biggest village rather than its second largest city?

The last couple of years I have enjoyed eating at the California Grill located in the Hang Dong branch of Tescos.

Yesterday a friend emailed informing me that it had appeared to be closed down because the premises had been cleared and was empty.

So is Chiang Mai now Thailand's biggest village rather than its second largest city?

no, not till Starbucks ,Mcds, BK, Pizza Huts etc........close :)

So is Chiang Mai now Thailand’s biggest village rather than its second largest city?

Its hardly a surprise . We did eat there occasionaly and 69 baht for grilled fish ,fries,bread and a free salad hardly leaves much profit. At prices like that it was an attempt to get bums on seats. A pity , great site but the rent could have ben a killer. 20 metres away is a KFC which is also feeling the pinch but they i would suggest have a bit more financial clout. Upstairs at the food court its business as usual.

I noticed that a few days ago. To be honest, when it first started up I suspected it would have problems catering to predominantly Thais. Most of the time I went by it it was pretty much empty. So, as you said with the rents for a prime spot like that, and few customers from what I saw, I wasn't surprised.

Its hardly a surprise . We did eat there occasionaly and 69 baht for grilled fish ,fries,bread and a free salad hardly leaves much profit. At prices like that it was an attempt to get bums on seats. A pity , great site but the rent could have ben a killer. 20 metres away is a KFC which is also feeling the pinch but they i would suggest have a bit more financial clout. Upstairs at the food court its business as usual.

I've eaten a few times at the Japanese restaurant on the other side and only ever once seen another customer in there. Shame as they made a bit of an effort with the decor and the staff are friendly.

The KFC there deserves to close. Last 4 times I've tried to order food in there they've never had Original fried chicken, only spicy and asking for a Zinger burger every time gets the response, "20 minutes" Oh well, good for my health I suppose that they're unable to sell me their food.

I go to that Tesco frequently and the parking lot is as full as its ever been. Not sure why the restaurants would be doing so badly. And yes, food court seems to be busier, so maybe people are still going out, but downgrading from restaurants to the food court?

We tried their fish & chips, and it was garbage. Good riddance.

Well for every bad experience there are usually 100 good ones. While not 5 star dining judging by the familiar faces we used to see there not many would share your rather unhappy and vindictive comments. I hate to see young people losing their jobs and this crew were very pleasant.