Should I Move To Chiang Mai?

chriswatson

People who miss that many things usually don't last long here. Fortunately, most of those items (the ones I understood, anyway) are available here, although you may have to increase the budget you stated earlier.

Yes, I think popping back every week for the footy will dent my budget considerably.

The list was just meant as a bit of fun and because I was interested in what other expats missed. I'm not planning to eat like a Brit whilst in Thailand and am fortunately addicted to Asian food anyway. I've seen on other threads that things like roast dinners are available should the desire become overwhelming and I might stock up on the condiments and bring them over with me to keep living costs down, but I'm sure anything that is unobtainable or out of my price range I/we'll be able to do without until we make our annual return to the old country.

Thanks for letting me know though.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, could someone kindly let me know when school terms and holidays typically fall in Chinag Mai and what time it typically gets dark (1800?).

Cheers

School schedules vary. International schools start in mid-August. Thai academic calendar starts in May; first semester ends this week.

Today is equinox; sun rises and sets abruptly at 6:14 local time. Never daylight savings; days vary from 13:20 to 10:40 hours. Northern hemisphere; very short and mild winters.

Thanks. I'll double check these term times on the websites to make sure I understand...

Ditto those daylight hours. It was pure coincidence that I asked at the point of equinox. :)

So what is it expats miss from their country, other than relatives and friends?

Being English, I think it will be the "obvious" for me...

Free houses with real ale, going to the football, light evenings, four seasons, the BBC (not BBC News 24 which is pants and I've seen enough of in hotels during business trips), Sky satellite, roast dinners, doner kebabs, Bangledeshi curries, Coleman's mustard, Heinz baked beans, Heinz salad cream, Stella Artois, blackberries, blueberries & strawberries, Cox's apples, public library's with CD-borrowing schemes, "free" local doctor's and prescriptions (for child), being able to buy non-mainstream music, newspapers, horseradish, cheese from the UK and Europe, wine, Jacob's cracker's, Walker's crisps, pork scratchings, olive oil, the cuts of meat, brocolli & sprouts, proper sausages, bacon & chips, haggis, black pudding, white pudding, ham baguettes, cold prawns, whole grain bread ...

sorry if I'm making any Brits hungry!

How about anyone else? Would be interested to hear.

Also, could someone kindly let me know when school terms and holidays typically fall in Chinag Mai and what time it typically gets dark (1800?).

Cheers

Not to turn this into a food thread, but the things I've highlighted above are certainly available in Chiang Mai. I am sure there are others that I just don't know about :)

/ Priceless

Also, bacon, chips, roast dinners, ham baguettes, cold prawns, strawberries are easily available and imported blackberries, blueberries are available for an expensive price sometimes.

This post has been edited by Ulysses G.: Today, 2009-09-29 04:34:42

Thanks for this guys but crisps are not chips in the same way chips are not fries. :D

I only use peanut butter for that hint of exoticism when cooking my famous "Mongolian" braised lamb.

Edited by chriswatson

So what is it expats miss from their country, other than relatives and friends?

Being English, I think it will be the "obvious" for me...

Free houses with real ale, going to the football, light evenings, four seasons, the BBC (not BBC News 24 which is pants and I've seen enough of in hotels during business trips), Sky satellite, roast dinners, doner kebabs, Bangledeshi curries, Coleman's mustard, Heinz baked beans, Heinz salad cream, Stella Artois, blackberries, blueberries & strawberries, Cox's apples, public library's with CD-borrowing schemes, "free" local doctor's and prescriptions (for child), being able to buy non-mainstream music, newspapers, horseradish, cheese from the UK and Europe, wine, Jacob's cracker's, Walker's crisps, pork scratchings, olive oil, the cuts of meat, brocolli & sprouts, proper sausages, bacon & chips, haggis, black pudding, white pudding, ham baguettes, cold prawns, whole grain bread ...

sorry if I'm making any Brits hungry!

How about anyone else? Would be interested to hear.

Cheers

Not to turn this into a food thread, but the things I've highlighted above are certainly available in Chiang Mai. I am sure there are others that I just don't know about :)

/ Priceless

Also, bacon, chips, roast dinners, ham baguettes, cold prawns, strawberries are easily available and imported blackberries, blueberries are available for an expensive price sometimes.

This post has been edited by Ulysses G.: Today, 2009-09-29 04:34:42

Thanks for this guys but crisps are not chips in the same way chips are not fries. :D

I only use peanut butter for that hint of exoticism when cooking my famous "Mongolian" braised lamb.

As the other guys have pointed out most of these things can be purchased at a premium here.

It's worth sticking a few things small items in your case though - Coleman's mustard etc

Haggis was served up at Tuskers on Burns Night this year......hopefully Chas will have improved his recipe for next years event.

What I miss when I'm in Thailand is the huge range of beers available in the UK, good Indian Food & the Sunday Newspapers but there are 101 compensations so it's not all bad :D

Yeh, I'll think I'll go to a Cash & Carry and stock up on those home comforts. I think I can make it through on Chang - but can't say I care much for Singha, Tiger or Leo. A home-made haggis seems interesting, but also frightening if a recipe can turn out so offal (sorry).

I got to agree that Indian curry just isn't a touch on Bangladeshi. Never had a good one outside of UK (and never been to Bangladesh).

Edited by chriswatson