Flu Vaccine Postponed

george

Flu vaccine postponed

BANGKOK: -- The injection of trial anti-influenza vaccine in human to volunteers has been postponed for another three days after September 21, after a test with guinea rats found that one of them developed infections in its lungs, the Government Pharmaceutical Organization said Thursday.

Wichai Chokewiwat, chairman of the GPO's executive board, said the postponement was needed to wait for confirmations from experts who were examining infection in lungs of one of 12 pigs injected by the prototype serum. "The infection has not possibly resulted from the serum, but we are seeing what caused it," he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-10

I thought prisoners should get it first. (Those that agreed, that is, and in return get either a reduction in sentence or someother tangible benefit.

But politicians are even better. Either way, we get a tangible benefit!

Hello, good luck with this vaccine. There is no way I would ever think about getting this or any other flu vaccine because they rush it into service. More people need to think real hard about this vaccine as we have no trials with it, and I hope no one will die as a result as the big companies look at acceptable losses in their big picture.

You'd have be completely off your rocker to let someone a jab a needle of this crap into your body, especially when it hasn't been approved by an appropriate health organization. I wouldn't even let them do it after government-funded health authorities gave it a green light.

You'd have be completely off your rocker to let someone a jab a needle of this crap into your body, especially when it hasn't been approved by an appropriate health organization. I wouldn't even let them do it after government-funded health authorities gave it a green light.

totally agree with you,these flu vaccines and in particular the tamiflu vaccine are totally unneccessary and just the pharma co.'s trying to recoup research money and production cost that was probably given to them by the govts.anyway.

Come on. By definition all medicines are untested until someone brave/stupid/desperate enough takes an untested drug to see if its safe. Not something I would want to do myself..... but I am very grateful for these people.

BTW the only thing that could be seen as novel about these swine flu vaccines is the posable use of novel adjuncts to enhance the reaction to the vaccine so that they can produce. but here they will pick up any issues very quickly as adverse reactions will happen quickly.

On the other hand it they were testing a live virus up the nose and one of the ginny pigs died lung infection that a cause for concern and I am going to be grateful for the second phase testing on all the people who think they are so important they need the vaccine first, hopefully they will get it before they start vaccinating the hospital staff etc

I'm surprised they have that many.

According to epidemiologists, this live nasal mist vaccine cannot be taken by anyone outside the 2-49 age group, which rules out a key high-risk group. Surprised they chose this over the regular vaccine which is more versatile.

I am curious as to the reason the nasal vaccine is less versatile than a regular flu shot?

Generally you have two different vaccines, each of which have there own delivery method. According to the CDC, the nasal spray delivery is more effective in flu vaccination, however this particular vaccine is considered a "Live vaccine", as it consists of the actual virus, although in reduced form.

The standard flu shot is delivered by injection, and consists of elements of the inactivated or dead virus, therefore suitable for all.

Because the nasal vaccine is actually giving the patient the actual virus, this means that there is a real danger that the patient will actually become infected rather than just build up the anti-bodies, which is why there is a long list of people; young, old, people with asthma or other bronchial ailments and people with a reduced or low immune system are not suitable.

So basically you have the difference between effectiveness versus versatility

I thought prisoners should get it first. (Those that agreed, that is, and in return get either a reduction in sentence or someother tangible benefit.

But politicians are even better. Either way, we get a tangible benefit!

Reduction of sentence to 'Time Lived after Injection'....

..........this live nasal mist vaccine cannot be taken by anyone outside the 2-49 age group, which rules out a key high-risk group.

A strange comment.

From my understanding that IS the high risk group??

Us oldies already have some immunity acquired from previous 'flu epidemics over the years.

• 1 month later...