Australia Holiday Visa Problems For Thai Wife.

I can never understand the Australian immgrations stance on Aussies who have a Thai wife and are refused a holiday visa after 2 succesfull visa applications. My wife has been to Australia 2 times firstly as my girlfriend and then as my wife. After the last succesfull application 5 years ago we were told for her to go to Australia again she would need a spouse visa, I tried to explain that we don't want to live in Australia, we're both happy together here, surely I can take my legally married wife back to the country I was born in without all this red tape garbage. The weird part of this is I can take my wife to any country in the World for a hoilday except my own. I just want to do some business and visit family and friends, maybe 4-6 weeks every year or two.

I can never understand the Australian immgrations stance on Aussies who have a Thai wife and are refused a holiday visa after 2 succesfull visa applications. My wife has been to Australia 2 times firstly as my girlfriend and then as my wife. After the last succesfull application 5 years ago we were told for her to go to Australia again she would need a spouse visa, I tried to explain that we don't want to live in Australia, we're both happy together here, surely I can take my legally married wife back to the country I was born in without all this red tape garbage. The weird part of this is I can take my wife to any country in the World for a hoilday except my own. I just want to do some business and visit family and friends, maybe 4-6 weeks every year or two.

you and me both.................but thats australia for you.And its not just immigration,try getting a govt. pension from them when you reach 65 and are living overseas and left australia before that age,they want you to go back and reside in the country for 2 years to re qualify.

I am dumbfounded. I had not looked into the 'Thai lady visa to Australia' situation as yet. I was hoping to in the future but as my name says - I still solo. I would try asking them for a written statement of reasons for the refusal. I assume that you are still an Australian, so why not then make representation to a federal minister? Don't give up

I am dumbfounded. I had not looked into the 'Thai lady visa to Australia' situation as yet. I was hoping to in the future but as my name says - I still solo. I would try asking them for a written statement of reasons for the refusal. I assume that you are still an Australian, so why not then make representation to a federal minister? Don't give up

Good point soloman, the Australian Minister for Immigration is Senator Chris Evans, email : [email protected].

At times I think some of these rules are made up by the big fish in a little pond in the Sth Sathorn Rd area of Bangkok.

The 676 visa is for tourism and also to visit family and friends.........have you contacted the embassy lately?

Explain the situation and see what they say

Well this post will set the alarm bells ringing for many of us. I plan to take my Thai wife to Aus for a month. She has been once before. Never in my wildest nightmares did I think we may have trouble in the future ,what BS. Tell me do you have real estate here that your own ? That seems to be a factor that you have something to come back to job, house etc ?

We are in C.Mai and were going to go through the visa application system here but all they do is forward it to Bangkok which worries me even more. Aussies unite and lets get this sorted

Do I understand correctly? The OP’s wife was refused a tourist visa recently.

I agree it’s a pain in the proverbial having to apply for a tourist visa every year or so but living with your wife overseas there doesn’t seem to be any other choice. The closest option seems to be a family visit visa which needs an Australian resident as sponsor.

I have a few friends in the same boat but their wives haven’t been knocked back on a tourist visa yet although it does seem to vary yearly as to whether their wives receive a 1 year multi entry visa or a single entry visa.

Apart from my wife’s (then fiancé) initial tourist visa being a single entry visa the rest have all been 1 year multi entry visas including one issued in Bangkok this week.

I wonder if the OP’s submitted paperwork was lacking in some way.

Edited by Farma

[/quote

Mate,

Something doesn't sound right here.

How long did she stay on her tourist visa's

previously? I know DIAC don't want people

"living" in Australia full time on multiple tourist

visa's. But having a 5 year gap doesn't make

sense.

What was the reason given for the refusal?

Regards

Will

Do I understand correctly? The OP’s wife was refused a tourist visa recently.

I agree it’s a pain in the proverbial having to apply for a tourist visa every year or so but living with your wife overseas there doesn’t seem to be any other choice. The closest option seems to be a family visit visa which needs an Australian resident as sponsor.

I have a few friends in the same boat but their wives haven’t been knocked back on a tourist visa yet although it does seem to vary yearly as to whether their wives receive a 1 year multi entry visa or a single entry visa.

Apart from my wife’s (then fiancé) initial tourist visa being a single entry visa the rest have all been 1 year multi entry visas including one issued in Bangkok this week.

I wonder if the OP’s submitted paperwork was lacking in some way.

The scenario which I'm led to believe is as follows, the first visa is for 3 months, the next for 6 months then after that it's a spouse visa or nothing. I've got several friends who've been issued the same ultimatum from immigration. One year ago my wife applied for a tourist visa, 4-6 weeks would've been sufficient for business and to visit family, friends etc, she was told in no uncertain manner that she never heeded her previous warning and the rules haven't changed its either a spouse visa or nothing, of course her deposit was refunded, I don't think so. The irony of all of this is that my wifes cousins son is a ladyboy and he's been to Sydney on a 3 months tourist visa and we ridicule Thai laws.

Well this post will set the alarm bells ringing for many of us. I plan to take my Thai wife to Aus for a month. She has been once before. Never in my wildest nightmares did I think we may have trouble in the future ,what BS. Tell me do you have real estate here that your own ? That seems to be a factor that you have something to come back to job, house etc ?

We are in C.Mai and were going to go through the visa application system here but all they do is forward it to Bangkok which worries me even more. Aussies unite and lets get this sorted

G'day sparkles,

Don't worry mate, it's generally not that hard.

All decisions are made at the Embassy in Bangkok.

Give them what they ask for and in MOST cases you

will be fine.

Regards

Will

My wife has just received her 3rd x 12 month multiple entry visitor (tourist) visa without any problems.

The first was in 2006, while I was living in Oz (used for 2 visits). The second last year (1 visit), just before we were married, and me living in Thailand. Both were from Bangkok.

Recently obtained a 3rd from the Oz Embassy in Vientiane (we live near Nong Khai). When she picked up the visa was told could apply at any time in Vientiane, and no mention or suggestion to get a spouse visa. However, when we earlier lodged the application, the woman in the Embassy checked my passport to confirm that I was living in Thailand, and on a long term visa (12 month non O-A).

I have a aussie passport.

Can we work in Thailand ? No

If we want to they make it really hard for us and rip us off with about 2 or 3 visa runs just to get a work permit. so why should other counties let thai's have anything . ?? treat people how you want to be treated is my moto. but thailand treats most farangs like sh*t . so there is nothing wrong with what are counties do to them

you and me both.................but thats australia for you.And its not just immigration,try getting a govt. pension from them when you reach 65 and are living overseas and left australia before that age,they want you to go back and reside in the country for 2 years to re qualify.

well for my 5 cents worth on this topic, re the visa issue -- farang all complain about the visa problems in LOS well they are nothing on Oz restrictions, except if you happen to come from a 3rd world country , after and absence of 11 years i am feeling like a stranger in my own country, its a case of spot the aussi , every taxi is driven by an indian, every fish n chip shop owned by a chinese or vietnamese, hotel stafft are indian, visis centerlink and stand out as the only aussi there, just amazing how they all got visas and how the govt hands out support for the them , someone suggested if u need a visa, wrap a towel around your head, home free,

in regard to age pension, i arrived back here early august after 11 years in thailand - called them the next day and was registered over the phone - during next week had interview etc, week after that approved for pension, etc, and when paid was backdated to day of registered. was amazed how efficient and responsive they were - comps to them - now receiving payments, and no restrictions on living overseas the Greeks and Italians have been doing this for years,

I'm going to be interested to see how this pans out.

A number of years ago TW and I had gone through some 8 visitors visas in a 15 month period when one day a senior Embassy official came out and explained to us that it MAY BE beneficial for us to apply for residency which we did and had it 28 days later. Great service.

Anyway 7 years (2 on Temporary Residence and 5 on Permanent) the visa has expired, we never intended to live in Aus which as made quite clear during our interviews and when I retired the trips dwindled to one per year.

I really don't know whether to apply for the Residents Return Visas now for her and her Daughter or just do a visitors visa when we need it. TW still has investments in Aus which may be the only thing that will see a RRV granted anyway.

Mason,

I don't know why you got a knock-back but in my case My Thai Ladyfriend (not legally married) has had eight annual, successive 3 Month Visas, Multiple entry, after the first single entry one.(which really gives 15 Months use.) Last visit was February this year. Never a problem at Bangkok Visa Centre.

My income is an Australian Pension, I have a House in Australia, She has enough money in the Bank for her own support if things went wrong whilst in Australia. She has a House, some Land and Family here in Thailand. Her only income is via my ATM. These factors I believe are necessary for your Wife to obtain a Tourist visa.

No Surprise at all! I don't know why anybody is shocked by Australian immigration. They were just one reason of many why I left my home country permanently. I found them totally unprepared to assist and the lines in their offices in the capital city were humongous! Trying to ring them was a near impossibility and the slowness of their response was incredible. Maybe things have changed since last I contacted them 8 years ago but I couldn't imagine it. If anything I would think they are still as slow as anything, but this is largely to discourage people even trying. Remember you are asking them to do something for you, not the other way around. When you have something they want it is totally amazing the speed of response.

The British system is similar and incredibly bogged down in bureaucracy and my then Filipino wife's visa to go to the UK would have taken ages; however when they discovered I was going to work for the British government to teach in their dreg schools, of which they are still desperate to staff, her long term visa was processed in just one afternoon - immediately and I didn't even have all the paperwork they needed! Amazing hey! Surprise, surprise. Expect these hassles, it's all part of the system to slow down too many people entering, even on a tourist visa as they know she's not like a Japanese tourist loaded up with loads of cash to blow on an Aussie holiday! You're just Mr. Joe Blo Average, unless you have a skill or something special they want don't expect them to help too much. You'll eventually get it as many have suggested here, just have to jump a lot more hoops yet, keep 'em happy!

The scenario which I'm led to believe is as follows, the first visa is for 3 months, the next for 6 months then after that it's a spouse visa or nothing. I've got several friends who've been issued the same ultimatum from immigration. One year ago my wife applied for a tourist visa, 4-6 weeks would've been sufficient for business and to visit family, friends etc, she was told in no uncertain manner that she never heeded her previous warning and the rules haven't changed its either a spouse visa or nothing, of course her deposit was refunded, I don't think so. The irony of all of this is that my wifes cousins son is a ladyboy and he's been to Sydney on a 3 months tourist visa and we ridicule Thai laws.

That scenerio isn't right. DIAC do become concerned thoough

if they think people are living there on tourist visa's. There are

no rules as such about multiple tourist visa's.

You still have not told us the reasons she was refused.

Something seems to be missing.

BTW, what does being a ladyboy have to do with

getting a visa? I can't see the irony. Every

applicant is different.

Regards

Will

I can understand the OP's frustration, but, his problem seems a little unusual in my experience. Is he being advised by the Embassy itself or the Thai's that work in the VAC?

My GF/wife has had 2 x 3 month Tourist Visas. When she applied for a 3rd one (as my wife) the Embassy rang her and asked why she wasn't applying for a Spouse Visa. She told them she just wanted a tourist visa at this stage. They gave her a 12 month multiple entry. This was in May 2008.

If you think the red tape for a Tourist Visa is bad, just wait until you apply for a Spouse Visa. They wanted a certified copy of my original Marriage Certificate, even though I've been divorced for 15 years.

Me and my thai wife, married since 2002, decided last year to go for a sightseeing trip to sydney for 2 weeks or so. While myself could get a visa online easily, my wife had to go to bkk, doing all those hassles, needed a proof of a fat bank account, even a medical report was necessary!

Needless to say, that we have chosen another destination.

Me and my thai wife, married since 2002, decided last year to go for a sightseeing trip to sydney for 2 weeks or so. While myself could get a visa online easily, my wife had to go to bkk, doing all those hassles, needed a proof of a fat bank account, even a medical report was necessary!

Needless to say, that we have chosen another destination.

Hi Xidi,

Not sure if you have all of the correct information.

Where did you get that info?

AFIK medicals are not required for a 2 week visa.

The appliacant does not have to go to Bkk, can

apply via VFS. And depending on the circumstances

of you relationship, financial details are often not

required.

I think a bit of balance is sometimes needed in

these discussions about visa's/embassies.

Regards

Will

I can understand the OP's frustration, but, his problem seems a little unusual in my experience. Is he being advised by the Embassy itself or the Thai's that work in the VAC?

My GF/wife has had 2 x 3 month Tourist Visas. When she applied for a 3rd one (as my wife) the Embassy rang her and asked why she wasn't applying for a Spouse Visa. She told them she just wanted a tourist visa at this stage. They gave her a 12 month multiple entry. This was in May 2008.

If you think the red tape for a Tourist Visa is bad, just wait until you apply for a Spouse Visa. They wanted a certified copy of my original Marriage Certificate, even though I've been divorced for 15 years.

The actual decision maker is always an Australian Immigration Officer at the Embassy. The Indian owned Visa Agency only does the processing for a fee, and forwards the file to the Embassy for the decision. Incomplete applications are not forwarded on to the Embassy by the agent.

Hi Xidi,

Not sure if you have all of the correct information.

Where did you get that info?

AFIK medicals are not required for a 2 week visa.

The appliacant does not have to go to Bkk, can

apply via VFS. And depending on the circumstances

of you relationship, financial details are often not

required.

I think a bit of balance is sometimes needed in

these discussions about visa's/embassies.

Regards

Will

Hi Will,

usually I would agree to your words, but in this case it was my own experience. I'm German married to a Thai, we both stay in Thailand. As I mentioned above, the visa for me was no problem at all, but my wife - according to the austr. embassy in bkk - was told to bring the requirements.

I had email contact with the australian embassy in berlin for further details and infos, and - like you stated - they don't know about a medical report, specially not for a sightseeing trip. Okay, with this fact in my back, i confronted the austr. embassy by telephone call and asked why they told my wife otherwise. They said, they just want to make sure the fact of marriage, the guarantee she's going back to thailand again and all those stuff.

Edit: that was in December 2007

In my personal opinion, i can't stand it, when my wife get treated like a second class people, sorry. We went to Hong Kong instead, the holidays were fine, and she don't needed a visa at all.

Edited by Xidi

Not that original certificate.......they will want to see your divorce papers for that marriage.

They want to see the original certificate of your current marriage.....usually in Oz this is the extract from the Dept of Births deaths and marriages.....If you were married in Thailand they may want to see the registration papers as well as the original (not a photocopy) certificate, not so sure on the Thai wedding side of things.

If you get a refusal of a 676 visa or any other visa for that matter the applicant will receive

a formal letter in English from DIAC at the Australian Embassy stating the reason for the refusal. It is this you should refer to.

In plain language refusals can be given for a 676 visa on the grounds of:

Insufficent funds for travel and support,

Health problems.

Non genuine application, applicant may work or overstay.

Non compliance with the visa requirements of another country

etc, etc.

What was the reason for the refusal in the letter?

DIAC can give you advice, such as "You should consider obtaining a spouse visa as

you cannot continue to travel to Australia on a 676 visas as you may be stopped and questioned at a point of entry to Australia" They may give you this advice when you are applying for a visa. This is often given when applying for visa extensions in Australia that may extend upto 1 year. Just advice that is all.

If you get a refusal of a 676 visa or any other visa for that matter the applicant will receive

a formal letter in English from DIAC at the Australian Embassy stating the reason for the refusal. It is this you should refer to.

In plain language refusals can be given for a 676 visa on the grounds of:

Insufficent funds for travel and support,

Health problems.

Non genuine application, applicant may work or overstay.

Non compliance with the visa requirements of another country

etc, etc.

What was the reason for the refusal in the letter?

DIAC can give you advice, such as "You should consider obtaining a spouse visa as

you cannot continue to travel to Australia on a 676 visas as you may be stopped and questioned at a point of entry to Australia" They may give you this advice when you are applying for a visa. This is often given when applying for visa extensions in Australia that may extend upto 1 year. Just advice that is all.

Ok bear with me and I'll explain the best I can, my wife has been to Australia 2 times for 3 months and then 6 months, on receiving the 6 months visa she was told by an embassy official not to apply for any more tourist visas as from now on it was spouse visa or nothing. A year after her return I thought I'd give it a try for another holiday visa and she got a reply that she was unsuccesfull and its really her fault because she didnt heed her previous warning. She received an envelope with a 3 page letter with all the governments usual razzamatazz, it then states the requirements she didnt meet. Genuine visits are based on the following:

a. the level of personal, financial, employment and other commitments may induce the applicant to return to his or her country of usual residence.

b. circumstances may induce the applicant not to return to their country of usual residence.

c. the credibilityof the applicant in terms of character and conduct.

It goes on and on and concludes with in your situation I am not satisified that from the purpose of your stay in Australia and you have been informed by the officer from your last application that you would apply for the appropiate visa. A visitor visa is not appropiate for your case. Therfore I am not satisfied that youre expressed intention only to visit Australia is genuine.

Signed by the Senior Migration Officer.

The irony of all of this is how did she get the original 2 tourist visas in the first place. Shes never breached Australia immigration laws and Im cashed up and still own my own home in Australia. The above letter has been shortened for obvious reasons.

The reason she doesnt apply for a spouse visa is because we dont wish to live in Australia but surely I can take her to my country for a holiday every year or 2, thats the what I dont understand. By the way shes 53 yo so she wont be chasing a career path in The Cross or St Kilda if thats what the Australian immigration thinks.

If your wife does not intend to live in Australia permanently why would she need a spouse visa?

It would appear that this "embassy official" most likely a Thai employee of DIAC has overstepped their authority.

It would pay to contact a senior Australian migration officer at the Embassy and get the matter

clarified.

I have found out that Thai staff of DIAC do not like their authority questioned.You just

tell them that you will take the matter up at a higher level and be polite about it.

It would not have happened if you were applying for a 676 extension in Australia,you would have had an Australian processing you wifes application, that is the difference.

Edited by david96

If your wife does not intend to live in Australia permanently why would she need a spouse visa?

It would appear that this "embassy official" most likely a Thai employee of DIAC has overstepped their authority.

It would pay to contact a senior Australian migration officer at the Embassy and get the matter

clarified.

I have found out that Thai staff of DIAC do not like their authority questioned.You just

tell them that you will take the matter up at a higher level and be polite about it.

It would not have happened if you were applying for a 676 extension in Australia,you would have had an Australian processing you wifes application, that is the difference.

Your thinking logically david, why would my wife need a spouse visa if we plan to spend the rest of our days in Thailand. They never really gave any specifics in the letter, the letter stated that going on the given facts my wife wasnt granted a tourist visa. There was a list of reasons but it appeared to be a standard letter sent to all unsucessfull applicants and it stated that my wife comes under one or more of the following categories which would make her application unsuccesfull. I might add that the letter was signed by an Australian senior immigration official. My details havent changed since her first 2 applications were granted, the only thing thats changed is Im a few years older.

clarified.

Sorry David, but that's a very naive comment.

I just sent the Australian Embassy an email outlining the circumstances about my wifes visa refusal, I don't know why I bothered, all I got in return was an automated email informing me how extensive their website was and I was given the wrong number for telephone communication with an official. I finally found the right number and a Thai woman answered the phone, I asked her several times did she understand me, she assured me she did. I get the feeling she didn't and she was only saving face. Three times she told me I'm sorry sir but I can't answer your question, surely my wife isn't the only one in this situation and the official should've been able to put some light on the subject, all she could suggest was to see an immigration officer and he's open for questions in the Australian Embassy every Tuesday and Thursday from 2pm till 4.30pm. I suppose next thing I'll go to the Embassy and the immigration officer will be on long service leave without a replacement. I laugh when I read adverse reports about the Thai Immigration, believe me after 8 Non Imigration visas I'd rather deal with the Thai Immigration anyday, if you play their games eventually you'll get what you want, whereas Australia will just let you play the red tape merry go round.

clarified.

Sorry David, but that's a very naive comment.

And borderline racist