Travel From Ch. Mai To Udon...which Vehicle To Use?

scotbeve

Hi all,

We'll be driving from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani mid-Oct. and was wondering which vehicle to drive... Haven't been ther in over 26 years - the last time was bus from BKK... I have a Yahoo map (with directions) at the moment and am on a very slow (remote location) server so the option of say... Google Earth is out of the question. My main question is: Do I take my good car or the SUV?? What would be the general condition of the roads between the 2 provinces? It's about a 12 hr. trip at a liesurely pace, more for a stop overnight. Form there we're going from Udon to Korat and on to Sri Racha. Not worried about those roads, just the roads from Chiang Mai to Udon. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

The major highways are fine for any vehicle. You will likely be taking highway 1 to 12 to 2 directly to Udon. Most of the 3 digit highways are fine too, but 4 digit highways can get a little hairy. The above route is 862 kilometers.

The major highways are fine for any vehicle. You will likely be taking highway 1 to 12 to 2 directly to Udon. Most of the 3 digit highways are fine too, but 4 digit highways can get a little hairy. The above route is 862 kilometers.

Cheers Gary. Yes, that's the route that was shown on Google maps... It will be a long one!!! Udon to Korat to Sri Racha should be fine as well. Then the long drive back to Ch. Mai.

There is no need to go anywhere near highway 1. Chiangmai to Lampang, and onto highway 11 which is an excellent road, and stunning scenery. Highway 1 will take you down to Tak, then you have to came across country through Sukhothai and Phitsanulok. Highway 11 bypasses Phitsanulok and brings you out near Wang Tong. Then highway 12 straight to Khon Kaen, and highway 2 onto Udon. I have done the trip dozens of times from Chiangmai to Khon Kaen, and do it comfortably in around seven and a half hours, with another two hours to Udon. The roads are excellent and no need at all for anything other than a saloon car. Have a good trip :)