Siem Reap : Where To Stay?

ronthailand

Planning a (first) trip to Siem Ream for myself and my Thai family. There will be 5 of us, possibly 7 if the 'monk grandfather and his monk friend' also go with us. We will drive ourselves to Aranyaprathet,, park our truck in what I hope will be a secure location and proceed to make our way to the Cambodia border and forward via Poipet to Siem Reap using the best available transportation for our large group. (??)

Any suggestions for comfortable, clean, reasonably priced hotel/guesthouse accommodations (not necessarily the cheapest)... with a SCENIC view and/or good location for my large group; and "any other travel suggestions" for Siem Ream from your experience will be much appreciated. (is prepayment required and appropriate for reservations...or only a credit card guarantee)??

Also, will my extended Thai family members need Passports or will their Thai National ID Cards be sufficient for the border crossing via land?

Has anyone experienced the Angkor Wat cultural drama show that they perform December-February?...is it worth the 'steep price' of 60-100 $USD per person; and can discounts be found?

I know I have asked a lot....but inquiring minds and thaivisacom members want to know also.

Thank You!

Planning a (first) trip to Siem Ream for myself and my Thai family. There will be 5 of us, possibly 7 if the 'monk grandfather and his monk friend' also go with us. We will drive ourselves to Aranyaprathet,, park our truck in what I hope will be a secure location and proceed to make our way to the Cambodia border and forward via Poipet to Siem Reap using the best available transportation for our large group. (??)

Any suggestions for comfortable, clean, reasonably priced hotel/guesthouse accommodations (not necessarily the cheapest)... with a SCENIC view and/or good location for my large group; and "any other travel suggestions" for Siem Ream from your experience will be much appreciated. (is prepayment required and appropriate for reservations...or only a credit card guarantee)??

Also, will my extended Thai family members need Passports or will their Thai National ID Cards be sufficient for the border crossing via land?

Has anyone experienced the Angkor Wat cultural drama show that they perform December-February?...is it worth the 'steep price' of 60-100 $USD per person; and can discounts be found?

I know I have asked a lot....but inquiring minds and thaivisacom members want to know also.

Thank You!

Responding on re the guest house Q.

Do a google for: red piano guest house

I've stayed there twice, my sister and her group from the U.S., seven people, also stayed there for three days a couple years ago. All liked it. View? Of what? They spent time on the 4th floor rooftop deck sipping Angkor Beer a lot in the evenings. The RP is right handy to downtown and the old market area, five minute walk.

Mac

One of our members has a guesthouse in SR. (Gorshar)

He's a fountain of info too. :)

http://www.twodragons-asia.com/ ask for Gordon

Absolutely THE place to stay. Gordon and the girls are absolutely fantastic. Breakfast is fantastic. it's a guesthouse, but it's ultra clean. spend the extra $5(US) for the bigger room(s) if you can. Not only is Gordon a great guy, his drivers are fantastic. If you go with Two Dragon's, get a pickup from the airport. you can also use that driver to take you around the temples. Worth it. If you can, ask for Mr. Sith, he's a cool dude.