Bangkok Police Incident I Had

bankbwoy

Hello

I am a American that visited Bangkok last week and had a great time out there. However, on Sat, Sept 5th i was stopped by a policeman on a motor cycle (had a gun in holster but never flashed any ID or proof) around 7 pm by Soi 31, who asked for my ID. I did not carry my passport with me, but I did carry a photocopy of it and was told that is ok to do since passport can get stolen out there.

He asked me for more ID and told him that was all I had or I can go to my hotel which was at the Royal Ivory Nana and gladly show him the passport. He then says I will have to go with him and I was shocked about that telling him I am not going anywhere...He then picks up his walkie talkie and calls in for backup and then all of a sudden a guy shows up in a blue t-shirt and pants and told me to give the cop 500 bhat and he will let me go

I said no and at this time and I was upset so I decided to find anyone that looked American or spoke English and flagged them all down to let them know whats going on. One guy told the officer that my passport is valuable and thats why it is at the hotel. He told the guy to leave and at this time I wanted my photocopy back. I grabbed more people from the streets and I started to make a scene and even yelled. One guy from Austrailia told me to cool out and he should let me go with no problems...I took out my wallet (hiding money in my side pocket) and showed him all I had which was my university ID I had for 6 years. Him and the other so called officer said oh he is a student gave me back my paper and I took off.....I am pretty sure he looked in my wallet and saw that it was empty and even acted like I did understand some of the things he was saying even though I know what he meant when he kept asking for 500 bhat.

I'm glad i did not give him any money and wanted to file a complaint on it but decided not to with other authorites (probably would of not mattered)

Has anyone gone through this situation?...After that day I kept my passport with me but I am still leaving my big money in the safe at the hotel room.

well I just got back last night to Orlando and I did have a great time out there...can't wait to go back...hopefully with less cop problems

Edited by bankbwoy

Cop problems happen here. That is a simple fact of life. It usually doesn't happen, but every once in a while it will. It is rarely more than 500 bt, often less. When it is your turn to pay, well, it is your turn. There are things that can be done to minimize the chances of being extorted if you are in this situation, but there are never any guarantees.

I'd say you were unlucky to meet a corrupt cop.Never happened to me in many years.Despite the rumors,i think the great majority of the Police force are respectable guys which happen to know that tourism is an important source of income for Thailand.

If you are in trouble you can rely on Police to help you.

I think you did the right thing,now the corrupt cop will think twice before trying to extort money from tourists.

Anyway,whether you are right or wrong,it's worth to keep your cool and be positive. :)

I'd say you were unlucky to meet a corrupt cop.Never happened to me in many years.Despite the rumors,i think the great majority of the Police force are respectable guys which happen to know that tourism is an important source of income for Thailand.

555...Which planet are u on. Gotta be the best quote of the day. You actually believe that???

You are so naive.

Edited by namoo

If you have a local phone (I always get one as soon as I arrive) call the Tourist Police 1155...

They have better English skills, so you can explain the problem, then hand the phone to the guy and let them talk to him... if that doesn't stop him, they will send an officer to help you... same same if you get into a fight with a shop keeper or something... loosing your temper, especially with a cop, is just going to make things worse...

This is really just a scam, even though you are reportedly supposed to carry your actual passport, the cop doesn't care, he just want you to be scared and give him 500THB...

I say don't ever pay unless you have done something wrong (like a speeding fine)...

Cheers,

Daewoo

I think you did the right thing,now the corrupt cop will think twice before trying to extort money from tourists.

Anyway,whether you are right or wrong,it's worth to keep your cool and be positive. :)

You are kidding right?

You are kidding right?

my experience is similar to moonrakers for the most part. But I seem to live in a different world to most blokes on this website. But then again, I tend to not to break the road rules.

But, not doubt, the OP did meet a dodgy cop - or at least a dodgy mate of a cop. A couple of things trouble me though, the main one being he had no Thai drivers license. That would have likely met his ID requirements. The second thing that the OP should have done was simply asked for a fine (called 'bai sung' in Thai). If a copper tries it on you, asking for one usually stops them if you've done nothing wrong...and you get waived on.

If you did do something wrong, that is another story. Ask for a fine, and be done with it. Pay it the next day at the police station and get your ID back. Simple.

Cop problems happen here. That is a simple fact of life. It usually doesn't happen, but every once in a while it will. It is rarely more than 500 bt, often less. When it is your turn to pay, well, it is your turn. There are things that can be done to minimize the chances of being extorted if you are in this situation, but there are never any guarantees.

Absolutely the best way to minimize this problem is to not return to Thailand.

No, seriously, as far as holiday destinations are concerned,....you've got the rest of the world!

Try countries where white people are not simply viewed as a source for extorting money.

Daewoo thanks for the info I will definitely have that with me next time to call

Been throughout all of South America and Central and never had any problems like this

Also I am not of white color and I am Indian...alot of the people there thought I lived there and not the USA until of course they heard me speak.

Thailand is a great place to visit and there are corrupt cops all around the world.

Hilarious post

555...Which planet are u on. Gotta be the best quote of the day. You actually believe that???

You are so naive.

mauGR1

For your education, please visit this link:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thaksin-Abhi...il-t296809.html

Doubtful if the guy was even a real policeman.

There was a guy in Pattaya recently pretending to be a policeman.

Also I recall a few years ago this area was infamous for the same scam being pulled, had to check the date of the post, thought at first I was reading an old post.

Doubtful if the guy was even a real policeman.

There was a guy in Pattaya recently pretending to be a policeman.

Also I recall a few years ago this area was infamous for the same scam being pulled, had to check the date of the post, thought at first I was reading an old post.

Well that’s the problem.

In Thailand it’s hard know if you are being conned or not.

Thai law does state that foreigners are meant to carry their passports at all times in public areas. The policeman if he were genuine, was within his rights to impose a fine on a foreigner not carrying a passport, but this policeman was manipulating the law to line his own pocket.

It is extremely difficult here to defend yourself when you are alone and out numbered or out gunned as in the case.

I would have insisted on seeing the policeman’s ID card and if satisfied, paid the 500 baht and drove away. Otherwise not worth all the hassle just to prove a point.

Also the advantage of paying under the counter so to speak, is that the offence does not go on record.

Absolutely the best way to minimize this problem is to not return to Thailand.

No, seriously, as far as holiday destinations are concerned,....you've got the rest of the world!

Try countries where white people are not simply viewed as a source for extorting money.

Crap advice. This guy must think he is doing himself a favor over the long-term by persuading as many people as he can from visiting here, that way he can "keep this place to himself", as if Thailand is a well kept secret amongst paradise-seekers.

Come back here as often and whenever you like. You had a random incident with the police that many of us have experienced as well, but you handled it the right way (mostly) and you didn't get ripped off... good job. The more you visit the less likely you are to run into these types of (insignificant) nuisances. See you soon!

:)

Why was the OP stopped?

I guess he has some time to come up with something.

If he says, for no reason, then I say rubbish.

We all know how corrupt the Police is.

But I do not believe for a second that they just stop people on the street demanding money.

This is just another Troll trying to start yet another thread about corrupt Police.

BS story.

Why was the OP stopped?

But I do not believe for a second that they just stop people on the street demanding money.

This is just another Troll trying to start yet another thread about corrupt Police.

BS story.

I highly doubt this is a BS story. In my first year here my taxi had been pulled over on Sukhumvit for no apparent reason and the policeman went directly to me rather than the driver. He started giving me a hard time about nothing at all from what I could tell (my Thai comprehension was quite poor at that time) and he was asking for a few hundred baht so I wouldnt have to go the police station. After a while I ended up showing him my business card which had a Thai government seal on it (I was working for one of the Ministries at the time) and he quickly let me go on my way, for free...

The OP stated a couple of times he really enjoyed himself here and plans to come back, so what's so suspicious about him mentioning the 1 bad incident he had during his fun-filled trip here? Completely reasonable in my mind.

Why was the OP stopped?

BS story.

I highly doubt this is a BS story. In my first year here my taxi had been pulled over on Sukhumvit for no apparent reason and the policeman went directly to me rather than the driver. He started giving me a hard time about nothing at all from what I could tell (my Thai comprehension was quite poor at that time) and he was asking for a few hundred baht so I wouldnt have to go the police station. After a while I ended up showing him my business card which had a Thai government seal on it (I was working for one of the Ministries at the time) and he quickly let me go on my way, for free...

The OP stated a couple of times he really enjoyed himself here and plans to come back, so what's so suspicious about him mentioning the 1 bad incident he had during his fun-filled trip here? Completely reasonable in my mind.

In other words, you taxi was stopped, and then the target changed as they saw it was a foreigner there.

Correct?

So, once again, why was the OP stopped?

Why was the OP stopped?

BS story.

We all know corrupt the police are . Grammar.

Believe Thai law says photo ID is required; not passport. In some areas you do not even have passport; as hotels keeps them.

Well that's a nono as well. You should never let anyone keep your passport. A photocopy is all they are entitled to. You don't own a passport...your passport is the property of your Government.

Why was the OP stopped?

BS story.

Gally5555

You actually spend time making a post for that?

I herby invite you to go through rest of my posts.

Then let me know.

I said it before, TV can be very educational for us that want to learrrrrrrrrn sommethninnnng

Why was the OP stopped?

BS story.

Gally5555

You actually spend time making a post for that?

I herby invite you to go through rest of my posts.

Then let me know.

I said it before, TV can be very educational for us that want to learrrrrrrrrn sommethninnnng

Touché

I've gotta agree. 17 years here and never had any problems apart from the occasional 50-100 baht fine for not wearing a helmet, which I deserved.

Just out of curiosity bankbwoy, how were you dressed?

I ride a motorcycle and whenever I go out I ensure the following:

1. I have my driving licence

2. I have approx 120 to 150 Baht in one pocket (depending on what small notes I have at the time)

3. My real money is hidden in a different pocket

4. I carry photocopies of all my bike docs in a plastic sealable bag on my bike

When I get stopped, which inevitably happens (the old left lane rule, even when going past a parked car) they can see that I have only a small amount of money and accept it. On one occasion the officer actually thought a while and then gave me some money back (I must have looked somewhat crestfallen and poor).

They are trying to make a living and unfortunately their salary is not enough. I also believe they have quota's to meet from up the chain just like any other business.

Best not to lose your temper, if you do they will stone wall you. My advice is to give them a little something but not what they are asking for. This obviously wont work if you pull out a big wad of 1000 baht notes and offer them a 20. Be realistic.

You could also put this down as one of life's great experiences and have a good story to tell in the pub when you get back home.

The sad thing is that Corruption is rife in Thailand every were, We know it ,Thai police know it, even a top Government minister, who said "the job of a Thai police man is not to serve the public but to put food on his table", I go to my wifes family, who live in the suburbs of Bangkok, The Thais also get ripped off by corrupt police , They act and think they are gods, There are one or two who do not wear uniforms who strut around the area were my Wifes family live, doing exactly what they want with no confrontation, because people are to frightened to do any thing , they walk in help themselves to food and drink, and if they object they are intimidated from then on , I know because i have seen it , so its not just us Falang who are the targets of the police corruption, As for ID i carry my UK plastic license, it has my name, signature , Photograph ,and address.

Edited by Thongkorn

Thai law does state that foreigners are meant to carry their passports at all times in public areas. The policeman if he were genuine, was within his rights to impose a fine on a foreigner not carrying a passport, but this policeman was manipulating the law to line his own pocket.

I am sure this is true, the problem I see with this is that (for tourists at least) how are they supposed to know this?

When you arrive in Thailand there is nothing to make you aware of this law. Don't everyone bother to post that you should make yourself aware of the local laws before travelling to any Country because that is just BS. In reality I doubt that most people bother with this, I know I don't.

I do also think, however, that the Police normally leave tourists alone and concentrate on people who are living here (be they foreigners or Thai) and unfortunately normally people who are obviously not wealthy. Hence they pick on motorcyclists and pickups etc.

I think as a tourist the OP was unlucky for this to happen but he mostly had his wits about him even though he was probably not familiar with the Country or the Culture.

It is easy for us who live here or are familiar with Thailand to criticise and say people are stupid and should have done things differently but we all have to take into account that for many tourists they are not familiar with the 'real' ways of Thailand. Would most of us know the deal if we travelled to a Country we had never been to before or had visited only the tourist parts? Probably not.

I will stop posting now as I feel I am starting to ramble. That seems to happen more and more lately :)