Phuket Acts To Clean Up Jet-ski Woes

webfact

EXTORTION OF TOURISTS

Phuket acts to clean up jet-ski woes

By SALINEE PRAB

THE NATION ON SUNDAY

Published on September 13, 2009

Gun-toting operator arrested, push for insurance cover

Video footage posted on YouTube showing a jet-ski rental operator threatening a British tourist with a gun would tarnish Thailand's reputation, whether the incident was real or fake, Phuket Governor Wichai Praisa-ngob said yesterday.

Wichai said he had written to embassies of several countries whose tourists complained about jet-ski operators in Phuket, to try to explain the problem.

Police have arrested a man seen with a gun in the video clip, but it is not yet clear if the incident was real or a stunt for a reality show in a foreign country.

Wichai said provincial authorities had received several complaints about jet-ski operators extorting money from foreign tourists from China, Japan and Australia, as well as some Thais, even before the YouTube footage.

He said they were trying to solve the problem but there was no clear evidence until the video emerged. Officials worked with police to arrest the person shown in the footage and he was now in custody at Kathu police station. He was reported to have confessed.

"The man's action, whether it's real or set-up for a show, is not right, especially if it was a set-up because it can be considered an intention to severely damage Phuket and Thai tourism," the governor said.

Officials called a meeting of jet-ski operators in Phuket and related agencies last week to set rules for jet-ski renting services. They plan to register and record the work history of jet-ski operators.

They will limit the number to jet-skis to 219 and try to get operators to have insurance to prevent problems in the event of rented jet-skis getting damaged.

Some 40 jet-ski operators and insurance companies were invited to try to set conditions for insurance next week, Wichai said, noting that this was a preferred solution.

"I'm not against them making a decent living out of this sport, but they must do it right and get into the insurance system. They can charge the insurance fee in the renting fee, say the usual Bt1,500 per 30 minutes could rise to Bt1,600."

Officials would also look into reports that some operators use Burmese workers as jet-ski boys.

Phuket had sent a letter explaining the problem to various embassies, initially focusing on countries whose citizens had filed complaints about jet-ski operators in Phuket such as the UK, Australia, China and Japan, Wichai said.

They would check with people who wrote complaints to see if the arrested man was the same person who extorted money from them. Officials would discuss the situation with legal experts about what they could do.

He hoped that efforts by the province and local agencies would restore tourists' confidence.

"This problem had been here a long time but the lack of evidence deterred authorities from doing anything much about it until now. This is the first time the allegation materialised," he said adding that they would seek the maximum penalty for offences - to warn others not to try such acts.

There were similar problems with car and motorbike rental businesses and some people's illegal acts were hurting honest business operators, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/13

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This same scam has been happening on Samui for years.

I wouldn't rent one for any reason,

unless you have video taped the craft with that days newspaper

and your face prominent, showing ALL minor damage,

and UNDAMAGED areas on the crafts hull and controls.

Then maybe they will not try the scam on you.

Or they may just refuse to rent it to you.

Legitimate damage is a reasonable request, if at a reasonable cost.

But this has NEVER been the case. And tourists have been given

gang beatings here over refusing to pay spurious damage claims.

Edited by animatic

I think the bloke who thought of "Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted" must have spent a bit of time in Thailand. :)

How many new directives , rules or laws have we read about in Thailand in the last few weeks? All dealing with illegal or dangerous activity that has been going on for "donkeys years" and nothing done about it.

Anyone got the youtube link of the Tourist threatened with gun?

Edited by sunnymarky

Officials would discuss the situation with legal experts about what they could do.

Err....Earth to Phuket officials. You've got a video shot on professional equipment showing the jet ski operator pulling out a rifle with a telescopic sight to help with "financial compensation negotiations"

Just when you thought you couldn't shake your head with bewilderment any more up pops another one.

Edited by mca

Nothing ever seems to be done about the scams against tourists here unless there's international media involvement. Perhaps the Governor genuinely does want to improve the image of Phuket but until the BIB actually do their duty he's got no chance. IMHO, the main change required for Thailand to actually achieve it's potential is for the police to conduct themselves in an honest and professional manner.

So to get some faux action going, one needs to film it and put it on youtube is the message, when confronted with damaging evidence, a month may go by where the scammers are put out.... what a break through...I may invest in one of those ultra portable video cams and start cleaning up Thailand....

not!!..

(Phuket officials said...) They would check with people who wrote complaints to see if the arrested man was the same person who extorted money from them. Officials would discuss the situation with legal experts about what they could do.

- excerpt from Nation news article

As often happens, Thai authorities can't clean up in their own backyard. They need to rely on info that comes boomeranging back from foreign countries. Same happened about the airport scams and other incidents. The farang and Asians who've been extorted may or may not have thought to report to local cops right after their respective incidents, but common wisdom knows the cops are probably not going to do anything more than shake their heads in wonderment, then go on with their usual business.

Also, waiting until word comes round from overseas, involves a time lag and by the time the news reaches Thai officials, it's become headlines. It's like not treating an infection until a lot later, when it flares up and gets ten times as ugly.

Then, when Thai authorities can't hide any more, they try to dilute the info by saying it might be staged. Sad indeed - particularly for the tourists being threatened, but also Thailand's flagging image as a tourist destination.

Phuket acts to clean up jet-ski woes

Officials would also look into reports that some operators use Burmese workers as jet-ski boys.

What, again? They do this every month! :)

It's dem evil Burmese, dat's wot it is, I'm tellin' ya.

Edited by Briggsy

Nothing ever seems to be done about the scams against tourists here unless there's international media involvement. Perhaps the Governor genuinely does want to improve the image of Phuket but until the BIB actually do their duty he's got no chance. IMHO, the main change required for Thailand to actually achieve it's potential is for the police to conduct themselves in an honest and professional manner.

couldn't agree more with you.

Phuket's infamous jet-ski man bailed

PATONG, PHUKET: Winai ‘JJ’ Naiman, the jet-ski operator arrested on extortion charges in Phuket this week, was bailed yesterday.

An officer at Phuket Provincial Court said Mr Winai had posted a land title deed worth 700,000 baht to secure his release.

Footage of Mr Winai, 28, threatening a group of British Royal Navy Marines with a gun was broadcast on British TV on Monday night as part of a show entitled ‘Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand’.

For our previous report, click here. – Dan Waites and Atchaa Khamlo

Clean up act finished :)

So there have been numerous reports/complaints from foreign embassys - and the Thais did nothing. Now they make a statement to 'save face' and will do - nothing!

Cant really understand the Thai save face thing as they are known throughout the world for what they are. Thailand has had its time re. being a top tourist destination. The once land of smiles is no more.

It's not just the jet ski operators ripping off tourists.

It starts at the airport on arrival and continues the entire trip.

Outside EVERY hotel is a gang of Tourist Mafia punks intimidating and defrauding hotel guests.

The Police wont chase them away and the hotel manager wont even have the courtesy to warn their customers to not use these taxies.

The manager is in on it or too afraid to interfere.

3508593571_e16e4fab92_b.jpg

A Thai does not call a Thai , And don't forget if the police do nothing while you are on Holiday what protection would they give a Thai who blew the whistle , All they think about is they have to make a living.

lets be Honest, Thailand is a corrupt place and a falang is just below a dog in the pecking order. Its only now that Thailand is dieing as a holiday destination , I think the stable doors been bolted to late , the Horse has gone.

My father used to work a similar role to that naval police chief- he said the old Thailand was never like this (hes retired now!). It's a real shame.. and I can't believe the young guy agreed to 30k and ended up being encouraged to pay 30k by the RNPC. I wonder if someone in Phuket can visit the jail and get a photo of the guy they claim to have locked up?

Given the level of problems in this country it's easy to kick them. But they've done the right thing here. The policies of the previous "ousted fugitive PM" in regard to the police had far-ranging impacts; Thaksin essentially encouraged lackeys and senior cops more interested in making money than solving crime.. these sorts of low-level problems are a direct result of his selfish policies, which very obviously set the country back years.. part of the problem now is they have a government with some of those same "scumbags" (to use a lovely Aussie term) in power.. the Newin faction or Bhum Jai Thai party which has control.. you guessed it, of police via the Interior Ministry. So the weak links in the chain continue; despite valiant efforts by the PM to get a clean cop at the top (a task which is proving ludicrously difficult cos of stuff-ups by Suthep and Niphon from his own party). Personally, I think they are cleaning some of the dead wood out, however, not fast enough. The reds are due to rally this coming Saturday and you can bet it's going to be a mess because Thaksin is bankrolling their pathetic behaviour.. from the rowdies throwing pla ra in Lop Buri yesterday.. to others organising the masses next weekend.. he wants his $2 billion back. And the Democrats and Abhisit have basically given him the finger. But when you have a police force that is so "red" or politicised by the former PM, that the new premier has to impose special laws (ISA) to allow troops to handle demonstrations, because he can't trust the police - given what they allowed in Pattaya - it shows how deep problems go.

This jetski grub is just a blemish on the butt of Thailand.

Anyway, it's obviously just gonna take time - years - to sort things out; and you wouldn't put money on their chances of them doing anything better than just muddling through. You gotta pray this govt gets its act together and helps boost employment and charter changes or whatever else they have to do to lift the economic and social malaise, cos there are plenty of people who want a return to the grubby days when Thaks was in charge and money ruled supreme.

This jet ski scam is not somthing special for Phuket or Thailand.

I was in Hawaii for 9 years ago, it was exactly the same there. They did charge 50$/1500Bh pr Inch if you make a scratch to the hull. Think about how many people who have to pay this extra fee for the same scratch on the hull.

Better stay away.

I was warned about Jetski scams in 1987 when I first visited by a brochure in the hotel, so not sure how some <deleted> manged to tie Taksin, who was not even in government then to it all, will they never give up? Please stop embarrassing yourselves with these inane illiterate comments.

Interesting that all the scams that have been running forever are now getting so much coverage, thanks to the internet. It really is time to clean it up, but the problem and all the associated levels of corruption feasting on it are very hard to stamp out.

I watched the video. it all looked quite real, though at the end it looked like it might have been staged, because there was a handshake. A handshake after a shake-down? And the farang leader (Captain of Brit Royal Guards) seemed quick to agree to Bt.35,000 extortion fee (which his subordinate, the jetski driver, had to pay), even though every one at the tense scene knew it was a complete shake-down. It all comes clear when you know there's a rifle at the scene in the hands of a Thai, and those Thais looked like they wouldn't hesitate to use it - or, at the very least, they'd stick with Thai tradition of ganging up and using every weapon within reach - metal pipes, chains, you name it. The idea of a fair one-on-one fight never caught on in this part of the world.

So, in lieu of the stakes, I too would have paid $1,000 and saved my skin. Though I would have called the Tourist Police before handing over the cash, unless it was deemed impossible to do so. I would be inclined to say to the extortionists, "Ok, let's call the brown shirt cops then." ...but it's roughly 99% sure that the regular cops would side with the thugs pulling the scam and, as mentioned earlier, are probably getting a cut of the proceeds.

sorry for two replies in a row, but I gotta say this:

Thailand is really shooting its tourist industry in both feet.

The list of things to avoid grows week by week.

Ok, a tourist can't avoid the airport, but would be well advised to avoid the limousines and taxis and any Duty Free shopping, coming or going.

There were/are the mysterious deaths at Phi Phi island which weren't investigated, so a careful tourist would avoid Phi Phi. Maybe avoid Phuket also, as there at least two mysterious tourist deaths there in recent weeks. Also at Phuket, there was the racially charged harassment of Simon at the airport.

And there's Pattaya which, despite the regular bad press it always gets, had the Aussie girl running off with the bar mat, and getting tackled on the beach by police.

There have been other blemishes on Thai tourist industry within the past year, most of which have been articulated and discussed within T.Visa.

Now the spotlight is on Phuket and its extortion-riven jetski biz.

Other destinations outside Thailand are looking increasingly better in comparison. If backpackers and others ask me whether Thailand is cool place to chill, I'm going to tell it like I see it, and it's not a pretty picture.

Edited by brahmburgers

The article was good for a laugh, especially the quote "Officials would also look into reports that some operators use Burmese workers as jet-ski boys." Its never the criminal Thai gangs who perpetuate scams, its those illegal foreigners, 555+

Just observe any Thai neighborhood or community and the one thing you learn pretty quick is that the Thais pretty much know who is doing what (Love the efficiency of the Bamboo Telegraph!) If the authorities really wanted to shut thos gangs down, they could do so with ease. Wonder why they don't?!?

Tourisim contributes around 6 to 8% (or use your own number) of the Thai GDP, but it is the top hard currency earner. Wonder where tourisim ranks on the Tea Money scale? :)

I've never forgotten one posters commments (he is Thai) "The Thais know exactly what they are doing and they don't care..."

Truer words were never spoken :D