Unecessary Retirement And Marriage Visa Postings

Why all these boring retirement and marriage visa postings? The law is very clear about the requirements for both.

As long as you fully adhere to these requirements you should get your visa. All the problems seem to arise from those trying to bend the rules which immigration officers wont accept. I and many of my retired friends have never had a problem. Those wanting marriage visas must realize that the authorities are only checking to see if you are genuinely married to a Thai and not a "marriage of convenience" in order to stay here. A typical silly posting was from someone who got his retirement visa with no problem as if it was some big deal. So will you moderators either close these postings or allow only those of real interest

You should study the posts more closely then!. There are not any Marriage or Retirement Visa's.

They are extensions of temporary stay, based on your Non Immigrant O Visa.

Oh I used to live on Samui & now I remember one of the main reasons why I left; bar stool duff gen merchants. :)

No such things as Marriage Visas. Retirement Visas cannot be obtained out side of your own country of residence. Certainly not within Thailand.

No such thing as clear laws regarding anything to do with Immigration.

Every Office has their own set of rules when dealing with applicants.

Even their own set of fees. As a lot of people in Samui will know. :)

The OP is complaining about people posting questions and comments about visa issues for Thailand on a website called thaivisa? Might as well complain that a restaurant serves food and not rare gems. The topics have titles, if you're not interested, move on. Geez!

Edited by Jingthing

Why all these boring retirement and marriage visa postings? The law is very clear about the requirements for both.

Even more "Boring", when they aren't in the Visa Forum, what has this to do with the islands?

Even more "Boring", when they aren't in the Visa Forum, what has this to do with the islands?

The answer lays in Post 5 above.

As long as you fully adhere to these requirements you should get your visa. All the problems seem to arise from those trying to bend the rules which immigration officers wont accept. I and many of my retired friends have never had a problem. Those wanting marriage visas must realize that the authorities are only checking to see if you are genuinely married to a Thai and not a "marriage of convenience" in order to stay here. A typical silly posting was from someone who got his retirement visa with no problem as if it was some big deal. So will you moderators either close these postings or allow only those of real interest

Hahahhahahaha! Gee you are funny !!

Whats a marriage visa?

Whats a retirement visa?

You Americans. You crack me up.

The op has a long way to go if he thinks that the everything is very clear concerning extensions of stay, the law may be clear, but everything else is not.

By the time you get that picture you will also understand the various postings here. This aint Kansas you know....

No such things as Marriage Visas. Retirement Visas cannot be obtained out side of your own country of residence. Certainly not within Thailand.

please update your information :D

I agree with you NAAM, this bloke is way out of date, I've been on a Retirement Visa for the last four years now and never seen the UK, I just go to local immigration respectfully dressed, polite with a smile, pay for the visa, say GOOD BYE to the couple hundred baht that found it's way into my passport prior to handing it over to the officer and then it's a polite Corp khun krup ( With a Whai ) Spelling ? I call in every 90 days to let them know that I'm still here and living at the same address ( normally takes 5 to 10 min's )

Thanks

I agree with you NAAM, this bloke is way out of date, I've been on a Retirement Visa for the last four years now and never seen the UK, I just go to local immigration respectfully dressed, polite with a smile, pay for the visa, say GOOD BYE to the couple hundred baht that found it's way into my passport prior to handing it over to the officer and then it's a polite Corp khun krup ( With a Whai ) Spelling ? I call in every 90 days to let them know that I'm still here and living at the same address ( normally takes 5 to 10 min's )

Thanks

I think Lite Beer is tehcnically correct. You are applying for and receiving an "Extension of Stay" not a visa inside Thailand. Also, I haven't read about anyone receiving a O-A visa for retirement outside of their home country.

I agree with you NAAM, this bloke is way out of date, I've been on a Retirement Visa for the last four years now

If you look in your passport you'll probably find that you are on a retirement extension to a Non-Immigrant type 'O' visa rather than a retirement visa. It might sound picky but that how Immigration Departments justify their existence.

I agree with you NAAM, this bloke is way out of date, I've been on a Retirement Visa for the last four years now and never seen the UK, I just go to local immigration respectfully dressed, polite with a smile, pay for the visa, say GOOD BYE

I am afraid That Bloke is correct and You and Naam are wrong.

There is no Retirement Visa. A Non Imm O-A Visa is sometimes called a Retirement Visa and can only be obtained in your own country or the country you reside outside of Thailand.

What you are talking about is a Twelve Month Extension of your Temporary Permission to stay in the Kingdom. For which you apply every year at Immigration and costs 1,900 Baht.

You do not have a Visa and you have not had one for years. I suspect your Visa died years ago.

Thanks

Ditto, here! I live in Ubonratchathani, and we do the same with Immigration at Phi Bun. All seems to work fine. Don

I agree with you NAAM, this bloke is way out of date, I've been on a Retirement Visa for the last four years now and never seen the UK, I just go to local immigration respectfully dressed, polite with a smile, pay for the visa, say GOOD BYE

There is no Retirement Visa. A Non Imm O-A Visa is sometimes called a Retirement Visa and can only be obtained in your own country or the country you reside outside of Thailand.

What you are talking about is a Twelve Month Extension of your Temporary Permission to stay in the Kingdom. For which you apply every year at Immigration and costs 1,900 Baht.

You do not have a Visa and you have not had one for years. I suspect your Visa died years ago.

It is rather difficult when people refuse to read the words that are presented to them in their passports...

If you look in your passport you'll probably find that you are on a retirement extension to a Non-Immigrant type 'O' visa rather than a retirement visa. It might sound picky but that how Immigration Departments justify their existence.

Its not picky. A visa is used to enter Thailand and has an expiration date associated with it. An extension of stay is used to remain in Thailand after your permission to stay (admitted until) stamp expires. A visa, once expired, is no longer valid and cannot be cited as permission to remain in Thailand. People claiming to have been here for years on a 'retirement visa' are mistaken.

perhaps we should be more specific. i am not talking about extensions but claim there is no need to obtain a Non Immigrant O-A visa outside Thailand even for a first time application of a retiree's "one year temporary permission to stay in Thailand".

So who said there was a need for an O-A Long Stay visa to stay in Thailand for retirement? There are three normal routes - of these only the OA is semi officially called a retirement visa and it can only be obtained outside of Thailand.

1. Obtain OA visa in home country and get one year stay on arrival and extend stay on annual basis. Some will just get a new OA visa rather than extending using this method but it is not required or expected.

2. Obtain non immigrant visa - enter and extend for retirement. No OA visa involved.

3. Enter on visa exempt or tourist visa and change status in extension of stay process and then extend for retirement. This must be done at selected offices and with 21 days or more remaining on permitted to stay stamp. No OA visa involved.

I can still remember being very excited about receiving my non immigration o-a visa at the thai consulate in sydney years ago,even more so when the thai official said i did n't need to transfer the required 800,000 baht until 9 months later(seasoning).when i asked why,he said i first needed to apply for a thai bank account(did n't like to tell him i already had opened one.)

The trouble began when i kept forgetting to top up my account 3 months before applying for an extension,and in the end i just gave up on it and just got a non immigration o multi entry visa,the bonus to me of this visa was i did n't have to keep worrying about the,800000 baht and the dam_n seasoning,plus i like going out every 90 days,treat it as a holiday from a holiday.