Huge Airfare Rise Australia-bkk

peter991

I am planning a quick return trip to LOS in August this year from Australia. Last week the cheapest fare PER (Perth, Australia) to BKK and return was $700 including all taxes. This week it's $900. That's with Royal Brunei Air. ValuAir is another $30 dearer. My favourite carrier, Singapore Airlines works out at $1200 including all taxes.

I use Flight Centre as my travel agent and also Amadeus which is the same computer system the travel agents do to check flight/seat availability.

I am wondering if airline fuel prices are quoted in US Dollars and if so, will the value of the greenback have any effect on fuel prices.

The current barrel price of West Texas Light Crude is currently $US56, which translates to $AU77. I have seen the 'experts' tipping the barrel price to hit $AU100 soon. Airlines have to buy fuel to run their plans and those higher costs are going to be passed on as higher fares.

This time it isn't a case of OPEC cutting production, it's increased demand (mainly from a rapidly growing China) and there is minimal available extra capacity available.

End result: Fewer customers making less frequent visits to LOS

I am planning a quick return trip to LOS in August this year from Australia. Last week the cheapest fare PER (Perth, Australia) to BKK and return was $700 including all taxes. This week it's $900. That's with Royal Brunei Air. ValuAir is another $30 dearer. My favourite carrier, Singapore Airlines works out at $1200 including all taxes.

I use Flight Centre as my travel agent and also Amadeus which is the same computer system the travel agents do to check flight/seat availability.

I am wondering if airline fuel prices are quoted in US Dollars and if so, will the value of the greenback have any effect on fuel prices.

The current barrel price of West Texas Light Crude is currently $US56, which translates to $AU77. I have seen the 'experts' tipping the barrel price to hit $AU100 soon. Airlines have to buy fuel to run their plans and those higher costs are going to be passed on as higher fares.

This time it isn't a case of OPEC cutting production, it's increased demand (mainly from a rapidly growing China) and there is minimal available extra capacity available.

Try Joy Tours in Northbridge.....they are the ones the asians use and are usually cheaper than Flight Centre......they are in the book and have a website too

Try Joy Tours in Northbridge.....they are the ones the asians use and are usually cheaper than Flight Centre......they are in the book and have a website too

We booked with malaysian airline through joy.s website 910dollars including taxes , Brisbane Bangkok return for8/5/2005 :o nignoy

i used to work as a travel agent so can say that its probably not the fuel increase that made the fare $200 more 1 week later. It's probably that the cheaper seats sold out:

Airlines divide their economy class up into various categories. Here's an example:

Y-class - the highest yield - if there are a few seats on the plane left, they will be sold at Y class - very expensive. 1 year stay max

B-class - standard economy fare 6 months stay max

T-class - promotional fare, maybe with a maximum 3 month stay imposed

W-class - promotional fare - possibly 1 month maximum stay and minumum 1 week - no changes or refunds allowed

The above is just an example...IMHO the earlier you book, the better - DON'T think that scheduled airlines will reduce the price of their seats at the last minute - they don't do this. (only charter airlines do).

Hope this helps

Actually you got off cheap.I went to Thailand last month(FEB05)cost was $1264 including taxes on Singapore air and that was the cheapest I could get.

If you can get it under $1000 including the taxes you got it pretty good.

I always check travel.com.au first and i have booked thru them the last 4 times due to their cheaper prices.Now that im a member of Singapore airs Krisflyer i get 1 trip out of every 5 free so try to join a frequent flyer rewards program.

Try looking up travel.com.au and lastminute.com.au

My favourite carrier, Singapore Airlines works out at $1200 including all taxes.

That's interesting, I'm paying the same amount but departing from Melbourne, but I'm flying over easter (possible reason for discrepancy). I do remember Flight Centre imposing some "increases" when I purchased my ticket, however can't remember what they were for (just handed over my credit card without asking questions :o).