Asian Tourist Traps

Old Croc

This found on NineMSN site in Australia:

Comments?

Are you worried that your holiday to Asia will consist of lurching from one overpriced, over-touted tourist destination to another? It's an easy trap to fall into, but with our insider's guide you can maximise the time you spend exploring unique cultures and lazing on deserted beaches. No more sweaty tour groups!

THAILAND: Phuket vs Chiang Mai

Phuket the cliché commercial destination of Thailand's south is overpriced, overcrowded and full of fat, loud Brits. Instead why not head to Chiang Mai to take a hill-tribe trek, ride an elephant and absorb yourself in authentic Thai culture. Your photos will give you social kudos as an intrepid traveller not a lazy git.

post-18822-1252830644_thumb.jpg

(Photo: Lonely Planet)

Very relaxing up there, heaps to do.

No doubt about it, Chiang Mai, is far cheaper in the main than Phuket or Bangers.

I enjoy it up there for a few days doing stuffs.

Backpackers I stay at is great, guy who owns it takes ya places, no charge for transport.

We donate to his costs.Spicy Thai, go Google it, or PM me.

Going back in Nov, hopefully.

This found on NineMSN site in Australia:

Comments?

Are you worried that your holiday to Asia will consist of lurching from one overpriced, over-touted tourist destination to another? It's an easy trap to fall into, but with our insider's guide you can maximise the time you spend exploring unique cultures and lazing on deserted beaches. No more sweaty tour groups!

THAILAND: Phuket vs Chiang Mai

Phuket the cliché commercial destination of Thailand's south is overpriced, overcrowded and full of fat, loud Brits. Instead why not head to Chiang Mai to take a hill-tribe trek, ride an elephant and absorb yourself in authentic Thai culture. Your photos will give you social kudos as an intrepid traveller not a lazy git.

post-18822-1252830644_thumb.jpg

(Photo: Lonely Planet)

Only a PC backpacker on his/her first trip away from mummy could write drivel like that.

Those photos are all staged and most of the tribes jump in the 4x4 when the great unwashed have left, drive into town and get sloshed. It's all about money and little authenticity left.

Elephants beaten into submission pounding the same circuit week in week out.

No, your photos will set you out as the attention grabbing saddo of the Student Union when you get back home.

Only a PC backpacker on his/her first trip away from mummy could write drivel like that.

Those photos are all staged and most of the tribes jump in the 4x4 when the great unwashed have left, drive into town and get sloshed. It's all about money and little authenticity left.

Elephants beaten into submission pounding the same circuit week in week out.

No, your photos will set you out as the attention grabbing saddo of the Student Union when you get back home.

Exactly! That picture of the little girl sure looks just like the pictures I have from the Karen Hill Tribe "Village" near Chiang Mai. That place is so NOT authentic. I felt almost dirty just being there - it just seemed like they were so exploited. I couldn't even take a picture of kids playing without them stopping to pose for me. Yeah, the pictures look cool to show to family and friends, but I know (and everyone else who has been there) that we did not get an "insider's" peek into a real hill tribe.

Nice beaches in Chiang Mai then?

yeah.... right....

Your talking about tourists coming from a country where the worst beach on its worst day is still infinitely better than any of the beaches that Phuket offers. One things Aussies dont go to Thailand for is the beaches.

yeah.... right....

Your talking about tourists coming from a country where the worst beach on its worst day is still infinitely better than any of the beaches that Phuket offers. One things Aussies dont go to Thailand for is the beaches.

A few years ago, on my first and only visit to Australia, I took advantage of the clement spring weather to do some walking. Upon rounding Sydney's beachside road, I had a double take, literally, and had to go and check the sign pointing to the tiny rock strewn grey sanded 'beach' with the godawful concrete backdrop was indeed the famous Bondi.

A few years ago, on my first and only visit to Australia, I took advantage of the clement spring weather to do some walking. Upon rounding Sydney's beachside road, I had a double take, literally, and had to go and check the sign pointing to the tiny rock strewn grey sanded 'beach' with the godawful concrete backdrop was indeed the famous Bondi.

Just in the interests of balance . . . having lived LT Sydney and Perth, travelled from Melbourne up the east coast . . . I'd rate Australian beaches as good as any I've seen here, better in terms of surf. Bondi though does get a bit crowded (like that never happens here) and for Sydney I prefer the northern beaches.

Maybe next time have a longer look around.

:)