Atm Swallows My International Credit Card

Erap

Recently I accidently left another international card in a Siam Commercial machine, I think 20 seconds after the ATM gives the money and card out it's automatically swallowed if not removed.. Telephone banking refused to help and said it would be destroyed.

Edited by TopDogger

Hang around the ATM on Tuesday and give the technician 500 baht to give you your card back.

It's funny you say that because I was just going to kid the OP, saying that maybe it's a new type of scam - holding international CC's hostage until the holder pays up.

I work for a company dealing in online payments and we issue Visa Electron cards to our account holders.

It sometimes happens that a ATM keeps a card and if the Account Holder contacts us we suggest sending a fax to the bank confirming that they can give the card back to him.

This works in 95% of the instances.

Well, I have just reclaimed the card today - it was indeed recovered from the machine, and sent to a nearby branch. I got the address from the service center - so I just went to that branch, presented my passport, signed a few papers and got it back. Believe it or not, it is working properly. I also called my bank at home, they said I shouldn't have any problems using it again.

Again, to retrieve it I had to call the service center of Siam Commercial Bank, and the lady who answered the phone reffered my request to her superiors. So I guess it wasn't some regular employee disregarding the official policy who approved of the matter. I also had to give some specific details about the card - last 4 digits, expiry date, colour, issuing bank etc. - before they approved my request. And the bottom line is that they did. Nevertheless, I guess I would look for alternative methods to have money sent over here.

Thank you all for yor feedback.

Well, I have just reclaimed the card today - it was indeed recovered from the machine, and sent to a nearby branch. I got the address from the service center - so I just went to that branch, presented my passport, signed a few papers and got it back. Believe it or not, it is working properly. I also called my bank at home, they said I shouldn't have any problems using it again.

Again, to retrieve it I had to call the service center of Siam Commercial Bank, and the lady who answered the phone reffered my request to her superiors. So I guess it wasn't some regular employee disregarding the official policy who approved of the matter. I also had to give some specific details about the card - last 4 digits, expiry date, colour, issuing bank etc. - before they approved my request. And the bottom line is that they did. Nevertheless, I guess I would look for alternative methods to have money sent over here.

Thank you all for yor feedback.

Good stuff mate.

Happy to see things that work out well here.

:)

As my rent is due, I wanted to withdraw some money with my international credit card...................

Have you done the math to see what you pay when you use a credit card (vice ATM/Debit card) to get cash from an ATM machine? Usually, it's a hefty flat fee, plus interest on this 'cash advance loan' kicks in immediately. And this is in addition to the fees you would pay were it an ATM/Debit card.

Not something recommended, except in an emergency (which maybe was your situation).