Doi Suthep

wolf5370

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my take on dual pricing, one of the most discussed and debated topics among farang. It's an indefensible practice, because there is no good explanation or justification made. It just comes down to skin color and a belief that white people have more money so they should pay more. Plus, it is easy to make farang pay by concealing what is going on. One can come up with all sorts of spurious defenses: Thais pay taxes; it's still cheaper than home; it's beneath me to quibble; etc, but none of these stand up under cross-examination.

However, I see no point in getting upset about it. It's just one unfair practice in a society founded on exploitation of the weak. The logic of our arguments against dual pricing-- that people should be charged the same price regardless of race, that rules should be made known and fairly applied to all, that it is wrong to exploit others for money-- is simply inaccessible to most (definitely not all) Thai people. They are, for the most part, victims of a feudal political system that never evolved, an absolutely lousy education system, and a culture that prizes material wealth regardless of how it is gotten.

So on any given day, at any given place, maybe I'll pay the 30B if I feel like it, maybe I won't. Either way, in the big picture I'm still undisturbed, because at least I know the difference between right and wrong. For the purveyors of dual pricing, all I can do is hope that they can work their way out of greed and ignorance.

Good post, Puwa. With that I concure. I see thousands of unjust things that happen in my own country, in Thailand and around the globe. And, I'm totally powerless to change them. So, I just ignore them and continue on with my own happy life. If I can afford something I want then I buy it. If I can't then I don't. It's all a matter of choice. There's already so much to choose that costs very little that I don't worry about the other things that I can't afford. I just don't worry about a few minor inconsistencies.

Case in point. I was standing at a grocery till the other day wating for the lady ahead of me. She had not brought enough money to pay for everything in her cart. She was slowly getting the lady at the till to remove one item at a time so she would arrive at the amount she had. I just told the lady at the till to ring it all up and I would pay the difference. It only amounted to $5 so it was hardly an inconvenience, but it sure sped up the line of people waiting.

you are farang and have more money that thai's so you should pay more that is the thai reasoning on fairness just except it nothing anyone can do you are not in the same class as thais and no thai's are not racists.

When you become as well educated, and your western countries rise to the standard of thailand then you may be treated equally but will never be in the same social standing as a thai person.

you are farang and have more money that thai's so you should pay more that is the thai reasoning on fairness just except it nothing anyone can do you are not in the same class as thais and no thai's are not racists.

When you become as well educated, and your western countries rise to the standard of thailand then you may be treated equally but will never be in the same social standing as a thai person.

:)

hahahahahahahahhaahaa sooooooooo why do all your royal family go to school in oxford in england etc?? even your prime minister went to oxford !

:):D:D

Just one question what would a Thai do or say if the were visiting another country as a tourists and wanted to enter a certain place and they were confronted with a sign

Thai people $10.00

Other persons free entry.

Would this offend them or would they just accept it.

I know this would never happen because there are anti dicrimination laws in force in most countries.

Edited by marsteele

Just one question what would a Thai do or say if the were visiting another country as a tourists and wanted to enter a certain place and they were confronted with a sign

Thai people $10.00

I know this would never happen because there are anti dicrimination laws in force in most countries.

It's hard to see where you stand on this one. You seem to contradict your previous post.

The fee to Doi Suthep is $US1. Loose change.

The system in the UK is pretty fair - they rip off everyone, all the time. :)

Edited by KevinHunt

Thai people $10.00

It's hard to see where you stand on this one. You seem to contradict your previous post.

Yes it is loose change but what I don't understand is the logic and the meaning in duel pricing why do they have it. It is not just Doi Suthep but many other places. If I went to enter an area I will gladly pay but that is not the point.

I wonder if a known Thai multi millionaire (like Thaksin) would have to pay the 30 baht.

That loose change will get you 3 large delicious organic lunches (large portion of brown rice and 2 generous portions of veggies) at the Vegetarian Society plus all the free water, of course. :)

What is it a 'soup kitchen'? It's good to see the poor are being taken care of. They have my blessing and best wishes. Times is hard.

That loose change will get you 3 large delicious organic lunches (large portion of brown rice and 2 generous portions of veggies) at the Vegetarian Society plus all the free water, of course. :)

What is it a 'soup kitchen'? It's good to see the poor are being taken care of. They have my blessing and best wishes. Times is hard.

Soup kitchen, I think not. Everyone from the poor to the working middle class, both Thai and some farang come to enjoy the cheap and delicious food.

Yes, times are hard, over year ago, 30 baht would get you 4 organic meals.

Edited by vagabond48

If it was just the fee at the zoo and temples I don't think most of would care at all.

I will offer a recent example of a certain health products retailer located near Siam TV. Previously I went there and bought a packaged kilo of their product and was very happy with the entire transaction. I purchased from a woman clerk for 900 baht and could not have been happier. A few months later I returned to repeat my purchase and this time dealt with a male clerk who told me the same product was 1,300 baht. I mentioned I had purchased before for 900 and he said "new higher price". I told him I would return later.

I sent my girlfriend to the shop a few days later and she purchased it for 900 baht. I asked her if she got a discount or did she negotiate and she said "absolutely not".

Okay so maybe the guy thought I looked rich or white or both but this sort of thing really undermines my decision process and while it doesn't happen that often it happens enough.

The reasons why this practice is somewhat common I am sure are complex cultural beliefs and practices but 44% markup for looking affluent? It's not like I am Tiger woods driving up in a Ferrari or anything. Incidentially I rarely rarely have experiences like this with Thai women or lower socio economic class Thai's who seem to extremely honest about money matters.

I wonder how many blissed out expats don't even realize when they are being played.

If it was just the fee at the zoo and temples I don't think most of would care at all.

I will offer a recent example of a certain health products retailer located near Siam TV. Previously I went there and bought a packaged kilo of their product and was very happy with the entire transaction. I purchased from a woman clerk for 900 baht and could not have been happier. A few months later I returned to repeat my purchase and this time dealt with a male clerk who told me the same product was 1,300 baht. I mentioned I had purchased before for 900 and he said "new higher price". I told him I would return later.

I sent my girlfriend to the shop a few days later and she purchased it for 900 baht. I asked her if she got a discount or did she negotiate and she said "absolutely not".

Okay so maybe the guy thought I looked rich or white or both but this sort of thing really undermines my decision process and while it doesn't happen that often it happens enough.

The reasons why this practice is somewhat common I am sure are complex cultural beliefs and practices but 44% markup for looking affluent? It's not like I am Tiger woods driving up in a Ferrari or anything. Incidentially I rarely rarely have experiences like this with Thai women or lower socio economic class Thai's who seem to extremely honest about money matters.

I wonder how many blissed out expats don't even realize when they are being played.

you should have gone back to the store with the gf after she had bought the goods and asked the guy why it was cheaper for the gf. "new old price?" :)

My first post on this forun so please be gentle with me.

As a newcomer to Chiang Mai I must say that I do not like dual pricing for the following reason

IT IS RACIST!

The pricing is purely decided on skin colour, not your nationality.

If St. Pauls was to put up a sign outside saying "Double price for Gingers" the world would be outraged.

I don't actually pay dual price any more as I have found showing my ID card removes the request for extra cash, but I still don't agree with racist signs in any part of the world. Funny thing is the Thais in uniform accept me as "Thai", only the touts and tour operators insist on me paying the higher charge (I guess they pocket the extra)

Small example, On a trip to Koh Samet the other day,

Tour operator at ferry says, farang 100B, thai 20B (I show ID & I didn't pay)

Man on ferry says farang 100B, thai 20B (I show ID & I didn't pay)

Park Ranger in uniform on beach says 100B, I show ID and he says 20B, so I pay

Another small example

When I travel with a Cambodian lady into a dual priced place, she speaks no Thai, but is never asked for more than Thai price.

Dual pricing, it's racist and it's wrong.

My first post on this forun so please be gentle with me.

As a newcomer to Chiang Mai I must say that I do not like dual pricing for the following reason

IT IS RACIST!

The pricing is purely decided on skin colour, not your nationality.

If St. Pauls was to put up a sign outside saying "Double price for Gingers" the world would be outraged.

I don't actually pay dual price any more as I have found showing my ID card removes the request for extra cash, but I still don't agree with racist signs in any part of the world. Funny thing is the Thais in uniform accept me as "Thai", only the touts and tour operators insist on me paying the higher charge (I guess they pocket the extra)

Small example, On a trip to Koh Samet the other day,

Tour operator at ferry says, farang 100B, thai 20B (I show ID & I didn't pay)

Man on ferry says farang 100B, thai 20B (I show ID & I didn't pay)

Park Ranger in uniform on beach says 100B, I show ID and he says 20B, so I pay

Another small example

When I travel with a Cambodian lady into a dual priced place, she speaks no Thai, but is never asked for more than Thai price.

Dual pricing, it's racist and it's wrong.

Yes it is racist and it is wrong.... soon they will have segregated toilets, tuk tuk and eating areas..

Please do not get upset but I think most of farang who live here do not pat tax, do they?

Just a 20-30 baht extra for the local to spend to maintain all the facilities at temple and national parks, is quite reasonable.

Some might not pay Income Tax but everyone pays VAT. Dual pricing is just a form of racial discrimination & is odious.

Leave money for any sort of visa extention in a Thai bank and you will pay tax on the interest, assuming you get any of course.

Considering how much more foreigners actually spend in Thailand than the average Thai then they will probably be paying alot more than the Thai will pay in income tax.

None of my self employed Thai friends pay any tax at all, 'don't earn enough' they say with a wink!

Morning all,

Remember; Thailand is not LOS (land of smiles), it is LOS (land of scams).

About the dual pricing at the temples; in Buddhist and Thai culture, a temple should be free to enter, however, monks need a lot of money these days (and nights). Last month, I was at the Ramada hotel in Bali. 5 Thai monks stayed there and this is not a cheap hotel. They ordered food for lunch for at least 10 people so thay could eat 1/4th only. Flying back to BKK, 2 monks were flying first and playing with their (not so cheap) laptops. To me, this tells it all. A few years back only, they were shouting at Thaksin he brought the $-signs in Thai peoples eyes and that it was no good for Thai culture. Look where they are now. From yesterday's news only; - monk lost 5 million in a scam. -Tiger temple scams farangs - monk accused of stealing - monk accused of raping.

Bye bye lovely Thailand.