How Many Of You...

doppa

musicians, who would welcome the opportunity to play and sing to your hearts content, for fun...no ego's required. :)

careful, we might soon get a topic thread named "farangs trying to sing in my soi" on a thai forum, not unlike the "dogs barking" thread on TV :D

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Doppa,

Neither one of me was frustrated until I read your post, and realized I and I had wasted time again.

:)

best, ~o:37;

... to the tune of "Singing in the Rain" ...

pom len plaeng kan nai soi,

tam plaeng kan nai soi :

took maa mee jai sabai

portwah mai mee khit ary

i'm singing in the soi,

making songs in the soi :

all the dogs are happy

because i am not thinking

Edited by orang37

Neither one of me was frustrated until I read your post, and realized I and I had wasted time again.

tam plaeng kan nai soi :

took maa mee jai sabai

portwah mai mee khit ary

i'm singing in the soi,

all the dogs are happy

Hmm, very enlightening. Ease of those mushrooms.

I know a few guys that get together to play - one's a drummer, one plays strings etc. They usually hire a place somewhere near the moat I think, but some bars allow jamming before the main bands come on and these guys do that too on occasion. Guitarman is good for that, but some usefulness with an implement of torture is required. What do you play? I can put you in touch if you are interested - PM me your email and I'll pass it along.

tam plaeng kan nai soi :

took maa mee jai sabai

portwah mai mee khit ary

i'm singing in the soi,

all the dogs are happy

One doesn't often get to see two "song and dance men" conjured up in one post. Well done!

"I and I

In creation where one's nature neither honors nor forgives.

I and I

One says to the other, no man sees my face and lives."

Tell that to the BIB - nice shakedown scam.

Farangs jam every night in Chiang Mai without any problems. This issue was resolved after a problem at Guitar man. If you are still scared remember this ...

Life is short, so play hard! :)

Where does the 'maverick' bit come from? :D

Edited by KevinHunt

I know a few guys that get together to play - one's a drummer, one plays strings etc. They usually hire a place somewhere near the moat I think, but some bars allow jamming before the main bands come on and these guys do that too on occasion. Guitarman is good for that, but some usefulness with an implement of torture is required. What do you play? I can put you in touch if you are interested - PM me your email and I'll pass it along.

i play the guitar badly, but singing a different matter altogether, modest me. :)

i play the guitar badly, but singing a different matter altogether, modest me. :)

Just out of curiosity who do you sound more like? Matt Monro? Little Jimmy Osmond? Paul Robeson? or dare I say it, Frank Sinatra!!?

Just out of curiosity who do you sound more like? Matt Monro? Little Jimmy Osmond? Paul Robeson? or dare I say it, Frank Sinatra!!?

phil collins, john lennon, with a touch of nat king cole

phil collins, john lennon, with a touch of nat king cole

Neither of the first two were famous for their silky voices, but if you have just a hint of Nat in there, you'll go far. Hopefully far enough that I can't hear you!!  :D Sorry, couldn't resist that one.  

Duna duna duna

duna duna duna

doo da da doo

This is harder than it seems; it's the Nightrider theme song. :)

ya i reckon, that sounded more like the theme from Jaws :D

blah! ...take your hand away from the bathroom bucket while singing along, will get you back on track. :D

Duna duna duna

duna duna duna

doo da da doo

This is harder than it seems; it's the Nightrider theme song. :D

ya i reckon, that sounded more like the theme from Jaws :D

blah! ...take your hand away from the bathroom bucket while singing along, will get you back on track. :D

i havent played the bathroom bucket since the night on too many Heinekens!! :D:)

besides, thats a totally different tune id rather not sing any more! :D:D

Can't say I'm frustrated, but I do miss western music when I'm in Thailand. I guess I'll have to invest in an I-pod. I used to sing in a small band when I was a young man, and can still carry a tune, but it takes practise to do it with a group.

Isn't it sad that the Thai authorities (a reflection of Thais generally) won't allow westeners to have some harmless fun playing music publicly. They'd much prefer westeners to follow their mind-set sterotype and spend their time and money on beer and bar girls.

Even, the odd jam at certain bars is only possible sometimes. Even then, musicians are looking over their shoulder scared shi*less the the cops will raid the place to extort money or slap them in gaol.

Getting paid for playing is absolutely out of the question. Getting a work permit for playing is basically impossible although Phillipinos get around it somehow.

So, wstern musicias are reduced to playing in some studio or at private parties for "free", however, as any musician will tell you , playing in public and getting the vibes is what it's all about.

The Thai authorities are trying to protect jobs they say, but maybe there was no job available in the first place, and if the westeners are not getting paid, really what's the harm?

The cops seem to take this part of their job with gusto . They seem to enjoy depriving people having some small enjoyment that does not hurt anyone and may make some happy (including the audience both Thai and other).

I recently spoke to a young Thai guy who is studying in Australia proudly telling me that he plays in a band around his local area in Sydney. It's good to see that Australians are so kind hearted and generous to allow him to have fun and enjoy himself with his friends and not be so heartless and mean spirited to stop him from doing so by the constant threat of falling foul of the law.

On this issue...Thailand your pathetic and really mean!

Can't say I'm frustrated, but I do miss western music when I'm in Thailand. I guess I'll have to invest in an I-pod. I used to sing in a small band when I was a young man, and can still carry a tune, but it takes practise to do it with a group.

there are many online radio stations these days and even online streaming content that you decide what you listen to

imeem is an example

no need for an ipod when surfin the net :)

there are many online radio stations these days and even online streaming content that you decide what you listen to

imeem is an example

no need for an ipod when surfin the net :)

which leads me to my next question:

if you had a business playing streamed music, would you run foul of the law, ie the music police?

Isn't it sad that the Thai authorities (a reflection of Thais generally) won't allow westeners to have some harmless fun playing music publicly. They'd much prefer westeners to follow their mind-set sterotype and spend their time and money on beer and bar girls.

Even, the odd jam at certain bars is only possible sometimes. Even then, musicians are looking over their shoulder scared shi*less the the cops will raid the place to extort money or slap them in gaol.

Getting paid for playing is absolutely out of the question. Getting a work permit for playing is basically impossible although Phillipinos get around it somehow.

So, wstern musicias are reduced to playing in some studio or at private parties for "free", however, as any musician will tell you , playing in public and getting the vibes is what it's all about.

The Thai authorities are trying to protect jobs they say, but maybe there was no job available in the first place, and if the westeners are not getting paid, really what's the harm?

The cops seem to take this part of their job with gusto . They seem to enjoy depriving people having some small enjoyment that does not hurt anyone and may make some happy (including the audience both Thai and other).

I recently spoke to a young Thai guy who is studying in Australia proudly telling me that he plays in a band around his local area in Sydney. It's good to see that Australians are so kind hearted and generous to allow him to have fun and enjoy himself with his friends and not be so heartless and mean spirited to stop him from doing so by the constant threat of falling foul of the law.

On this issue...Thailand your pathetic and really mean!

sorry but your wrng about the work permit, if your prepared to pay for one, and the consequences of having one, it is'nt a problem at all, friend in phuket has had one for years.