Removing Used Visas

I have only one full page left in my pasport and three half pages, I am going to vietnam next week and thought that the fact that I have one whole page left everything would be OK, however I have just found out that I need a re-entry permit from Thai Immigration as I have a Visa Extension, from what I have seen on this forum this is yet another full page stamp issued by the Thais, my question is can I remove one of the Cambodian Visas to free up another page, is this legal?, I have no intention of going back to Cambodia anytime soon as I realise that they might not take kindly to me removing one of their old Visas.

I have only one full page left in my pasport and three half pages, I am going to vietnam next week and thought that the fact that I have one whole page left everything would be OK, however I have just found out that I need a re-entry permit from Thai Immigration as I have a Visa Extension, from what I have seen on this forum this is yet another full page stamp issued by the Thais, my question is can I remove one of the Cambodian Visas to free up another page, is this legal?, I have no intention of going back to Cambodia anytime soon as I realise that they might not take kindly to me removing one of their old Visas.

You shouldn't do it, you should get a new passport at the embassy.

However, you might get away with it, or you might not. The worst that can happen is you get refused a visa or visas.

It has been done before, but usually an eagle eyed official sees a little bit of ink which overlapped from the removed visa sticker.

Why don't you just get extra pages added then? Most passports have some wording about it being an official government document and to not mutilate or alter it in any way. Doing so makes it invalid, etc..

Why don't you just get extra pages added then? Most passports have some wording about it being an official government document and to not mutilate or alter it in any way. Doing so makes it invalid, etc..

As far as I know the UK does not provide added pages, however when they describe the size of the pasport they include the pages that have Notes, I am going to phone the Embassy in Bangkok tommorow and see if it is OK for a Visa to be placed over these notes, my only other option apart from renewing it is to get the Immigration officer at Pattaya to try and squeeze the re-entry permit onto a page that is only a quarter full at present, it might slightly overlap a couple of old Cambodian entry/ exit stamps.

However, you might get away with it, or you might not. The worst that can happen is you get refused a visa or visas.

Expect most governments consider alteration of a passport a serious offense with criminal penalties. It also makes them invalid. US persons are subject to below:

§ 1543. Forgery or false use of passport

How Current is This?

Whoever falsely makes, forges, counterfeits, mutilates, or alters any passport or instrument purporting to be a passport, with intent that the same may be used; or

Whoever willfully and knowingly uses, or attempts to use, or furnishes to another for use any such false, forged, counterfeited, mutilated, or altered passport or instrument purporting to be a passport, or any passport validly issued which has become void by the occurrence of any condition therein prescribed invalidating the same—

Shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 25 years (if the offense was committed to facilitate an act of international terrorism (as defined in section 2331 of this title)), 20 years (if the offense was committed to facilitate a drug trafficking crime (as defined in section 929 (a) of this title)), 10 years (in the case of the first or second such offense, if the offense was not committed to facilitate such an act of international terrorism or a drug trafficking crime), or 15 years (in the case of any other offense), or both.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_s...43----000-.html

As far as I know the UK does not provide added pages, however when they describe the size of the pasport they include the pages that have Notes, I am going to phone the Embassy in Bangkok tommorow and see if it is OK for a Visa to be placed over these notes, my only other option apart from renewing it is to get the Immigration officer at Pattaya to try and squeeze the re-entry permit onto a page that is only a quarter full at present, it might slightly overlap a couple of old Cambodian entry/ exit stamps.

It is my understanding too that the UK does not add additional pages. The re-entry permit stamp is about a half page long so you should be ok squeezing it onto the quarter full page and using free page for your visa.

Don't do it...

Several years ago, I did this many times. As soon that I got a used sticker, I was getting rid of it.

No problem to pass the borders and getting a stamp on already used pages.

But when I had to renew the passport, big hassles from my embassy because of alterations. At the end, they just issued me a letter that I have three days to go back to motherland and debate my case in front of a court... There, I waited nearly three months to obtain a new one!

A side comment. I got extra pages in Bangkok on my old passport. I then noticed pretty much every immigration check after that they would spend time considering the extra pages somewhat suspiciously. For my new (US) passport I explicitly requested the large size passport (the larger is no extra charge and supposedly available on request). They sent me a normal passport.

Edited by Jingthing

A re-entry permit only takes up half a page.

You cannot remove visa stickers without leaving a trace. They always have a stamp over the edge so you'd end up leaving half a stamp as proof a sticker has been removed.

My Cambodia visa stickers have 2 stamps going over the edge. The Laos visa stickers and some thai tourist visa stickers even have a signature (as well as a stamp) going over the edge. The Thai tourist visa stickers are stamped above (on the passport page) to mark each entry as well as having a stamp over the edge.

hi,

i hed 2 thai visas from the same place after 1 year of using my passport one of them started to fall from the page next the second one. It looked like glue was bad. I was worry to loose that visas so i took them off and puted in the last page of my pastort using a paper clip. After that i hed 2 more visas and no one even asked me what is that so i think there will be no problem with remowing sticker from your passport but you have to keep it.

A side comment. I got extra pages in Bangkok on my old passport. I then noticed pretty much every immigration check after that they would spend time considering the extra pages somewhat suspiciously. For my new (US) passport I explicitly requested the large size passport (the larger is no extra charge and supposedly available on request). They sent me a normal passport.

The U.S. does not issue that big passport anymore. it was short lived.

:D legal or not ...... the glue is such bad, each I have fall out after ca. 4 to 6 month .... :D never get in problems.

if visa expire it expire too in his computer so by this you falsificate nothing. But ... I always keep the "out fallen" visa with me in case ha ha ha! Same happen 2 years before with Thai tourist visa, really bad glue :)

Edited by thaibear1

The U.S. does not issue that big passport anymore. it was short lived.

That's interesting. They certainly were based on the website when I got my most recent passport (approx 3-4 years ago).

Read the notes pages.

In a UK passport note 6 is the one pertinent to your question and clearly states that the passport must not be tampered with.

Correct, the UK does not issue additional pages.

32 or 48 page passports are available and that's it.

You cannot obtain 48 page passport in Thailand, only 32

I have had 6 British passports issued by the British embassy in Bangkok, all 48 pagers. The last was in 2007.

That was not the story I got 6 months ago. Maybe the rules have changed. :)

You cannot obtain 48 page passport in Thailand, only 32

I have had 6 British passports issued by the British embassy in Bangkok, all 48 pagers. The last was in 2007.

That was not the story I got 6 months ago. Maybe the rules have changed. :)

I received my 48 passport on the 20th feb this year via the consulate in Chiang Mai. Granted that would be around 7 months ago. Did you try apply for the 48 pages 6 months ago and got refused or something?

I received my 48 passport on the 20th feb this year via the consulate in Chiang Mai. Granted that would be around 7 months ago. Did you try apply for the 48 pages 6 months ago and got refused or something?

Embassy in Bkk said no longer do. Ended up with 32 pages which was not what I wanted.

Living the sort of visa life many of us live, I have found after living in Asia for 30 years that much as it is a pain in the butt and expensive, it is in your best interests to change passports after 3-5 years! This is so people in either your home country or another country with draconian laws, (read USA) seeing the many asian stamps in your passport think of you as a drug smuggler or someone else involved in illicit behaviour.

I used to get the 100 page passports but sitting at the US immigration checkin in the US trying to tell them where I had been for the past 7 years was impossible and incredibly frustrating!

I think that people of US nationality that get extra pages could find themselves in difficult situations and the US government deliberately allows additional pages to be added to your passports to ensure they can keep track of your every move!

Change your passport when you can and lose the old one.

BB

Removing a visa counts as tampering with your passport and can render it invalid.

This could mean the Thais refusing to give you the re-entry permit,

or even worse you being refused entry on arrival in Vietnam.

Depending on the other stamps, a re-entry permit does not need a whole page.

It can be done sideways taking half a page. Ask nicely.

Then you still have a whole page for the Vietnam visa.

Otherwise you need a new passport.

Don't do it...

Several years ago, I did this many times. As soon that I got a used sticker, I was getting rid of it.

No problem to pass the borders and getting a stamp on already used pages.

But when I had to renew the passport, big hassles from my embassy because of alterations. At the end, they just issued me a letter that I have three days to go back to motherland and debate my case in front of a court... There, I waited nearly three months to obtain a new one!

I did the same removed a load of cambodian ones, when it was about to expire i lost it !, bit of luck i thought ,. :)

Expect most governments consider alteration of a passport a serious offense with criminal penalties. It also makes them invalid. US persons are subject to below:

§ 1543. Forgery or false use of passport

How Current is This?

Whoever falsely makes, forges, counterfeits, mutilates, or alters any passport or instrument purporting to be a passport, with intent that the same may be used; or

Whoever willfully and knowingly uses, or attempts to use, or furnishes to another for use any such false, forged, counterfeited, mutilated, or altered passport or instrument purporting to be a passport, or any passport validly issued which has become void by the occurrence of any condition therein prescribed invalidating the same—

Shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 25 years (if the offense was committed to facilitate an act of international terrorism (as defined in section 2331 of this title)), 20 years (if the offense was committed to facilitate a drug trafficking crime (as defined in section 929 (a) of this title)), 10 years (in the case of the first or second such offense, if the offense was not committed to facilitate such an act of international terrorism or a drug trafficking crime), or 15 years (in the case of any other offense), or both.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_s...43----000-.html

:) all depend ..... it is known US-Authority are hyper sensitive. My Embassy don't care if a sticker with bad glue fall out, important I don't falsificate any thing and a sticker with bad glue isn't falsificationg.... lets see clear

hi,

i hed 2 thai visas from the same place after 1 year of using my passport one of them started to fall from the page next the second one. It looked like glue was bad. I was worry to loose that visas so i took them off and puted in the last page of my pastort using a paper clip. After that i hed 2 more visas and no one even asked me what is that so i think there will be no problem with remowing sticker from your passport but you have to keep it.

:D you are right as I said before; keep it with your passport or very close :) we are not respinsible for any glue they use and all depend on your home country. My country don't care about such stickers, anyway if I ask a new one I get also the old but with some hole .... !!!