Ramkamhaeng To Thong Lo - Travel Options

TenDreams

Hi,

I am thinking of relocating to Ramkamhaeng (roughly soi 112), and wonder if anyone knows of other transport options to Thong Lo, other than the ones below...

> I don't have my own car

> I DO have my own motorbike, but am not wild about the idea of going down Ram. on it during rush hour everyday!

> The boat - as far as I have heard = dangerous and dirty (water), time consuming, not good for rainy season

> Buses - I don't think I have the patience, but a possibility

> Taxi - gonna add up to about 6000 a month, I would think

...I guess what I'm really asking is, anyone know if there is a minibus service from around Ram.112 to Thong lo?

...<there, that was easier!>

Cheers,

T

Hi,

I am thinking of relocating to Ramkamhaeng (roughly soi 112), and wonder if anyone knows of other transport options to Thong Lo, other than the ones below...

> I DO have my own motorbike, but am not wild about the idea of going down Ram. on it during rush hour everyday!

> The boat - as far as I have heard = dangerous and dirty (water), time consuming, not good for rainy season

...I guess what I'm really asking is, anyone know if there is a minibus service from around Ram.112 to Thong lo?

Cheers,

T

There is a mini bus service that runs to Prakhanong, think it costs 20 baht.

The problem you may face is all the writing on the window is in Thai, so unless you can read Thai you wouldnt even be aware.

Basically that leaves you two options, get off the bus at Khlong Tan and get another bus, or get off the bus at Prakhanong and either get the skytrain or another bus, depending on whereabouts in Thong Lor you need to be.

The other alternative is get the boat from Wat Sribunruang to Thong Lor.

The boat is certainly faster than buses, wouldnt call it dangerous, but not for the faint hearted.

The boat is the best way to get around Bangkok other than the skytrain or subway during the day, if it's going where you need to go. Not at all dangerous, time consuming, or dirty (unless you plan on going for a swim after you get off). I'll often take the boat over a taxi just because it's quicker.

Boat dangerous? Pray tell when's the last time a canal (khlong) taxi sank in Bangkok? Haven't heard of it happening in all my time in Bangkok (thought it could have). I was taking the khlong taxi last year and saw police fishing a dead body out of the water, but I don't think he drowned from riding in the khlong taxi. The khlong taxi is the fastest way to get from Rhamkhamhaeng to Thong Lo when there's traffic, no doubt. The only drawbacks are the dirty water (do not get it in your eyes when it splashes, know doctors in Bangkok who've treated serious infections from just that happening) and when it's rush hour the boat can be packed and uncomfortable. But I've taken it plenty of times to beat the traffic on Rhamkhamhaeng and love taking it. It gets you places fast enough and gives you a view of life on the khlong.

Hi,

Cheers,

T

The boat is not dangerous, can be a wee bit smelly, (take a hanky) its the quickest by far.... traffic will kill your taxi journey. And the added bonus of many girls in short skirts boarding and exiting the boat... can be a colourful experience. Not that I would be looking...

The boat is the best way to get around Bangkok other than the skytrain or subway during the day, if it's going where you need to go. Not at all dangerous, time consuming, or dirty (unless you plan on going for a swim after you get off). I'll often take the boat over a taxi just because it's quicker.

You forgot the hair spray effect from passing boats...and that's how your head will smell to others... :)

do what i did and move ,the 2 extra hours a day travel,and you can find some nice places tong lor ekamai now.

yeah, thats more or less where i am now, and i want out!

Why do you want out of Thonglor area?

For me, there are way better places to live out there. T.L. area is convenient, but that's about it, in my book.