Double Standars For Thai's In Our Countries?

thailandbluegrass

I have been in Thailand for more then a few years now and am still tired of the Double Standars/Prices for foriegners here for expats.

I don't normally bitcch or complain about to many things but I just wonder now that more Thai's are traveling abroad how they would feel about being charged double or more in our Countries just because they are Thai?

For instance, visiting a waterfall that a Thai can go into for free but they charge us 250 baht or Temples/Wats where we have to pay but a Thai doesnt. Don't they WANT us to learn about their cultures etc?

I can speak Thai fairly well and can read enought that I know what เก้าสิบบาท means. It says 90 baht, so when I see that and for fun I ask Tao rai (how much) and they answer 120 baht........<deleted> !!!!!!!

If I did that to a Thai or Asian back in Canada my business would be immedietly closed and I would probably end up in jail for racism etc.

Would we charge a tourist money to go into a church etc? I speak well enough to get by and not get ripped off (to often) but I still hate seeing it and having them try it on me. Yes I realize we are in a poor country and that the locals do not make alot so I understand that when they try to get a little more its because they think we are rich and in some senses we are comaritively so I don't mind that to much but when the Government does it to us that is a different story. After all it is 2009 (2553)

What do you people think about this and please share your experiences similar so maybe one day they will realize that small things like this are driving the tourists away when in fact they should be doing ANYTHING to attract us.

Also what is with this Government still inforcing this 15 day tourist run crap when they should be allowing us to stay for 90 days minimum in order that we spend ALL our money here wouldn't you think ???????

I have been in Thailand for more then a few years now and am still tired of the Double Standars/Prices for foriegners here for expats.

I don't normally bitcch or complain about to many things but I just wonder now that more Thai's are traveling abroad how they would feel about being charged double or more in our Countries just because they are Thai?

For instance, visiting a waterfall that a Thai can go into for free but they charge us 250 baht or Temples/Wats where we have to pay but a Thai doesnt. Don't they WANT us to learn about their cultures etc?

I can speak Thai fairly well and can read enought that I know what เก้าสิบบาท means. It says 90 baht, so when I see that and for fun I ask Tao rai (how much) and they answer 120 baht........<deleted> !!!!!!!

If I did that to a Thai or Asian back in Canada my business would be immedietly closed and I would probably end up in jail for racism etc.

Would we charge a tourist money to go into a church etc? I speak well enough to get by and not get ripped off (to often) but I still hate seeing it and having them try it on me. Yes I realize we are in a poor country and that the locals do not make alot so I understand that when they try to get a little more its because they think we are rich and in some senses we are comaritively so I don't mind that to much but when the Government does it to us that is a different story. After all it is 2009 (2553)

What do you people think about this and please share your experiences similar so maybe one day they will realize that small things like this are driving the tourists away when in fact they should be doing ANYTHING to attract us.

Also what is with this Government still inforcing this 15 day tourist run crap when they should be allowing us to stay for 90 days minimum in order that we spend ALL our money here wouldn't you think ???????

Same old story..... Hawaii same same.. look in Hawaii they even have triple pricing. visitor, state res and by island... Play golf Kauai,, Hono guys pay more and visitors pay even more.. NOw about your issue over somsip baht... Why dont you get some work rather that boring the board with you kieneow falang <deleted>. You are giving non Thais a bad name!

Would we charge a tourist money to go into a church etc? ...

It's not that you don't have a point...you do...and it's been discussed here many, many times.

But, having said that I understand your point, I do look at it differently. First, in regard to how the Thais would feel about paying more when they travel is the West...the vast majority of Thais are not allowed a tourist visa to visit the United States, yet, virtually anyone except a criminal is allowed a tourist visa into Thailand. Second, if you want to learn about Thai culture, you don't have to go to the very few temples (less than 2% by my estimation) that charge. And, think about what they charge. I went to Wat Benchamabophit a couple of days ago...20 baht...that's about 65 cents. And my own personal rule is that if a temple does charge, I don't donate, and they come out on the short end of things. And, BTW, I have paid for tours in a number of churches in the States, including the National Cathedral is Washington...well, a donation was "recommended".

And finally, it's their country. They should run it like they want to. And, of course, pay the consequences thereof.

Same old story..... Hawaii same same.. look in Hawaii they even have triple pricing. visitor, state res and by island... Play golf Kauai,, Hono guys pay more and visitors pay even more.. NOw about your issue over somsip baht... Why dont you get some work rather that boring the board with you kieneow falang <deleted>. You are giving non Thais a bad name!

CB. Didn't your mum ever tell you two wrongs don't make a right? We have no voting power and no lobbying power, the only power we have is either complaining or walking. Its not too big an issue to leave the country for, but it IS wrong. So, should we just shut up, put up, or go back home? Of course not - eventually someone might hear our pleas, one day we may be important enough to someone with some sway to make a difference - it may be pretty unlikely, but it sure as taxes ain't gonna get heard if we play the mushroom now is it?

A friend of mine drives a black taxi in London for six months of the year and lives in Thailand for the other six months. Last year he picked up a Thai gentleman from Liverpool Street station and drove him to a business meeting. Arriving at the destination there was 10 pounds on the meter. The taxi driver said ' well that will be twenty pounds then Sir.' The Thai business man replied 'what do you mean it only says 10 on the meter.' - Will this is England. T.I.E' the taxi driver replied.

Thankfully they both saw the funny side of it and the amount paid was only a tenner.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

The parks do have two prices, but so do the parks around Seattle or at least some do.  Show resident ID and get in the Zoo half price is not uncommon in the States.  The parks are Thai National and its assumed Thais pay tax all year and tourist don't.  Same things go on in the states.  Many things are state owned here but may not seem to be, like some water parks are, some not.  Reg. business are not really allowed to post two prices, but I am sure in the tourist traps this is enforced differently then other places.  I never see it around here at all, its not a problem.

This is Thailand,and it is their country.If you can't stand it,leave.But it isn't only foreigners being exploited,it's anyone with the money.If you are faced with double pricing,ask yourself if it is worth the money you're being asked to pay.There is double pricing here,and I think you need to accept it.It is sad to think you might cut yourself off from so much because of it.Pay if it's worth it to you,and don't if it isn't.

it obviously sucks but really what can we do about... our best choice would be not to go to places that have these double pricings... i live in bangkok and would like to go watch muay thai more often but the pricings and scams are a little too harsh there at the big stadiums.

and i'm not cheap generally but it just sucks as a rule.

This is Thailand,and it is their country.If you can't stand it,leave.But it isn't only foreigners being exploited,it's anyone with the money.If you are faced with double pricing,ask yourself if it is worth the money you're being asked to pay.There is double pricing here,and I think you need to accept it.It is sad to think you might cut yourself off from so much because of it.Pay if it's worth it to you,and don't if it isn't.

you make it sound like if you live here you have to agree with every rule there is no matter how stupid... the blind lead the blind?

It's not that you don't have a point...you do...and it's been discussed here many, many times.

But, having said that I understand your point, I do look at it differently. First, in regard to how the Thais would feel about paying more when they travel is the West...the vast majority of Thais are not allowed a tourist visa to visit the United States, yet, virtually anyone except a criminal is allowed a tourist visa into Thailand. Second, if you want to learn about Thai culture, you don't have to go to the very few temples (less than 2% by my estimation) that charge. And, think about what they charge. I went to Wat Benchamabophit a couple of days ago...20 baht...that's about 65 cents. And my own personal rule is that if a temple does charge, I don't donate, and they come out on the short end of things. And, BTW, I have paid for tours in a number of churches in the States, including the National Cathedral is Washington...well, a donation was "recommended".

And finally, it's their country. They should run it like they want to. And, of course, pay the consequences thereof.

Oh, and by the way...I meant to mention that it sounds as if you're Canadian. Wonderful country...love the Canadian Rockies and the whole Niagara area. And paid through the nose for that enjoyment. Pizza at $8 a slice? Hotels substantially more expensive than just south of the border. I spent far more per day in the Canadian Rockies and Niagara than I did around Yellowstone, Glacier, or Yosemite NPs.

In the west, the equal civil rights of western tourists and expats in Thailand is about as low a priority concern as is humanly possible.

Quite right J.T

Dont know about the US but just as well we dont double charge Thais in OZ...

Dinner for 2 (maybe 1 entree+2 basic main course,2 beers): XXXX BHT..thanks :D

2 movie tickets (mai ow snacks): XXX BHT..thanks :D

1hour massage (dont even ask about 2 hours): XXXX BHT..thanks :)

note: I crossed out all the figures because the mention of these NORMAL prices would have the average Thai spittin out his SomTum...I will let it be a suprsise for when they get to kangaland. :D

Oh, and because i dont want to give all our nong-chai down the road any crazy ideas. :D

PS. Im glad i can do all the above in the same day here: BHT 800..thanks :D

PSS. No complaints from me :D

It's not so much the overcharging of foreigners in Thailand which bothers me but the lack of rights and opportunities compared to the ones Thai's enjoy when in our home countries. When a Thai marries and gos to the UK within a few short years they can get a British passport and nationality if they want, have the right to buy houses and land, have full access to social security benefits including free health care unemployment pay and state pensions. No matter how long we stay here when married we gain no more rights than when we were here on a two week holiday. Even if you were here 40 years you still have no rights to buy a house or land and would still have to report as the 'alien' to immigration every 90 days. This inequality is unjust and there is no good excuse for it, yet nobody seems to want to admit this never mind do anything to make life here better for ex pats. Typical response is well if you don't like it go home, but this is many people's home.

Edited by dragonfly94

I don't complain to much, but I have been charged more for street food on Phuket. In my home state if you are from out of state you pay more for the parks, the zoo and at all the universities and colleges. At the state universities and colleges you pay more than triple what in state students pay. They still have many foreign students.

In the west, the equal civil rights of western tourists and expats in Thailand is about as low a priority concern as is humanly possible.
Absolutly correct, we cant make comparisions with a third world country that has time after time has shown that it dosent give a toss what foreigners think,.i went to nong nooch on sunday last, there were 2 thais in a Ferrrari in front of me, i normally dont care about the double pricing, but i just knew these thais were better off than me and paid half of what i did !,. :)

It's not so much the overcharging of foreigners in Thailand which bothers me but the lack of rights and opportunities compared to the ones Thai's enjoy when in our home countries. When a Thai marries and gos to the UK within a few short years they can get a British passport and nationality if they want, have the right to buy houses and land, have full access to social security benefits including free health care unemployment pay and state pensions. No matter how long we stay here when married we gain no more rights than when we were here on a two week holiday. Even if you were here 40 years you still have no rights to buy a house or land and would still have to report as the 'alien' to immigration every 90 days. This inequality is unjust and there is no good excuse for it, yet nobody seems to want to admit this never mind do anything to make life here better for ex pats. Typical response is well if you don't like it go home, but this is many people's home.

Well said, I cannot even buy a house in Thailand for my Thai wife and children to live in. International governments need to apply pressure on the Thai government to give foreigners more rights and also be told that racism is totally unacceptable in any civilised society. It may have taken along time but in the end even South Africa was forced to change their ways

If you can read thai, then why played game in the first place? :D

Look.. just like Hurliburton was charging the US govn't some $300 a bullet during the Irag war, bcoz they thought the govn't wouldn't know.

SAME SAME.......dogs eat dog world :)

No we do not charge a foreigner more than a local back home. How could we with a democratic elected Government and a population proud of living in a democracy. :D

BTW, I mean to see in the news a couple of days ago that USA consider to charge visitors to the United States a $10 entry fee and the fund will go to promote tourism! :)

You are hitting the target, and I agree completely with you.

Now that is the typical reply of an expat who has been in Thailand 6 weeks and thinks he/she knows everything and has been here forever.

And when they charge a Thai 7 baht for a cola and us 10 baht, maybe you get a pension but I live here and also make Thai baht. If I didnt have haggleing capabilities or couldnt speak Thai then yes I probably would just refuse it but then again I would starve to death.

The point of my post was to get some opinions and so far I have seen some good and some not good ones but also to let people know that WE do not like it so NO I do not have to accept it.

Oh, and by the way...I meant to mention that it sounds as if you're Canadian. Wonderful country...love the Canadian Rockies and the whole Niagara area. And paid through the nose for that enjoyment. Pizza at $8 a slice? Hotels substantially more expensive than just south of the border. I spent far more per day in the Canadian Rockies and Niagara than I did around Yellowstone, Glacier, or Yosemite NPs.

Very true but then again the average Tradesman in Canada makes more then in the states. And I agree it is very costly to travel Canada but the point is that me as a Canadian pay the same as a Thai traveler would have to, no more no less.