4000 Us Sailors Arrive Next Week

phuketrex

Discovery did a couple of programmes on her. Magic piece of extreme engineering. Just awsome.

That's what made me think she was latest biggest. Guess the program was longer ago than I remember :)

Well the USS George H.W. Bush has only been in service a few months now, so you weren't off by much.

Funny, that second Youtube video about the tiger cruise they ask for people to embed it, but then they disable embedding. That's what they call in the military a SNAFU: Situation normal, all fuc_ked up.

"I manage a nuclear power plant with an airport on top and 5000 people squeezed in between" Nice quote.

Edited by Scubabuddha

Well original report said it would be the carrier plus destroyer USS Howard (320 crew compliment according to Wiki) and cruiser USS Chancerlorville (360 crew compliment according to Wiki) but who knows the rest might moor out further and have their crew ferried in. There are usually subs in the battle group as well, but I think they keep that classified. I did see a US sub outside Chalong Bay once years ago when a carrier was in port.

That scenario pretty much described what we went through back in the day, circa 1989. We moored out (I was on the USNS Spica) and had the whole town pretty much to ourselves (it was low season), then the rest of the battle group (BG) showed up about 3 days later. You're right about subs though, any movement is highly classified.

You should have seen the increase in prices when the rest of the BG showed up, reminds me of Subic Bay

I would like to visit the Ronald Reagan.

Any ideas how to do this???

Gerd

Try contacting Rotary Patong as they have a programme painting schools & usually some of the navy guys help out when in town. Appaprently for this visit there is an offer by the navy that anyone who helps out with the painting will be welcome for a guided tour of the carrier.

Try contacting Rotary Patong as they have a programme painting schools & usually some of the navy guys help out when in town. Appaprently for this visit there is an offer by the navy that anyone who helps out with the painting will be welcome for a guided tour of the carrier.

Yes of course, I should have thought of that. I know the Rotary President. Also, the dive shop I occasionally work for already have some bookings from some sailors.

VDO on http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...hp?news_id=1235

or

item-5---- The largest US Navy ship ever to visit Phuket, an aircraft carrier and 2 others, are to bring over 4,500 sailors on R & R and for community relations projects.

Brad Kenny of the Rotary Club of Patong, and Michael Turner, Press Officer of the US Embassy, confirmed to Andaman News, that the USS Ronald Reagan, the largest and newest of the Nimitz-class nuclear-powered aircraft carriers and 2 other ships, USS Howard a destroyer and USS Chancerlorville a cruiser, will visit Phuket next week around 22-26 September, primarily for R&R or rest and relaxation, but during their stay some of the sailors will help to build a house for a small girl's Thai family. The Rotary Club of Patong Beach has been working with 2 Australian ladies, Lisa Craig and Jacqui Jewell, who had been supporting her via school scholarships. The girl, named Earn, was born when her mother was only 16 and the father soon after died. Earn lives with her grandmother who is severely arthritic and can only stand for short periods of time in a tin house. They have qualified under Habitat for Humanities strict guidelines for a house, so the sailors will build it over 4 days, and also help paint & clean at several other local schools & orphanages

weekly Andaman News NBT TV (VHF dial) at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 3.30pm, 7pm, 1.30am & 6.30am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & maybe Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, Friday 18th September 2009

Edited by NBT TV Phuket

now THAT is a nice thing to do. Good for you, sailors.

It's very nice of them to do this, I totally agree.

This is also a very common occurrence among US Navy ships visiting foreign ports, getting out there to not only enjoy the friendliness, cultural awareness and hospitality of the host country, but to also make a difference in someone's life, pitching in to volunteer for various work projects, paying visits to orphanages, etc, etc

I know, because I speak from experience having retired from the US Navy in 1993 :)

Welcome to the disconnect..............

From the USN learning guide;

When you go on liberty in a foreign country, you will be an ambassador of the United States – a representative of your fellow Americans and the American way of life. You might be seen as a source of hope to those in a country we are providing aid to.

An excellent goal. And now the reality; Shore leave or liberty is a dangerous event. More people will be injured per day while on liberty than they will be on ship on a regular non combat day.

The USN has a problem with heavy drinking as do all branches of the military. It's currrently tagged at approx. 20%. The problem is particularly acute for the USA. The sailors do not know how to drink and there is a predisposition towards binge drinking. No, I am not exagerating or being a nervous nellie. The legal drinking age in the USA is 21. These sailors that get onshore and that go drinking just lose it. Even the older kids and that's what they are, still do not know how to drink by the time they are 25.

These sailors are not like the sailors back in WWII, Korea, Vietnam or even Gulf War I who grew up in a time where you could drink at 18 or 19.

Ok, so you are saying pfft, what's the actual exposure, there can't be that many kids. Well then, check out this quote from the Chief of US naval operations, "When you look at our aircraft carriers, [they are] arguably the most complex and sophisticated system that the military operates. The average age [of the Sailor] that delivers that capability is 19 years old. The responsibility that they have, and their ability to make judgments that shape other people's lives is absolutely extraordinary."

He's right. The reflexes of those young men and women are the difference between life and death while onboard the ship. Unfortunately, once out of sight of the petty officers, and away from a dry environment, some revert to being kids. I'm not the only one that has that opinion, the medical corps director knows it when he has to read the monthly list of work related injuries. There is a section for shore leave injuries sustained. I won't bore you with the details but you can read the May 2007 Ames study. Drinking is just one part of it. It's all the other injuries especially the vehicle impact injuries that really put a dent into readiness. When a sailor is off injured, it strains the other sailors since personnel complements are lean. You don't have replaceemnts lying about, especially on undermanned vessels.

Ok, so you can't keep them locked up on the ship, butl for number crunchers like me, I can already model the costs for this event. And yes, it's a dull weird post, but those sailors need their guardian angels when they go on liberty, so try and be nice to them.

BTW, I hope no one intends to try and get a closer "unauthorized" look of any USN ships. Subsequent to the murderous suicide attack on the USS Cole, the USN keeps a very close watch for vessels that get too close. They don't screw around either.

Thanks "geriatrickid" for an interesting and comprehensive post.

Seems incredible that the mightiest most advanced technologically, most complex and sophisticated fighting force on the planet is operated by 19 year olds. Wow!

I believe USA ships are still "dry" not like the British navy where we have rum and the "over the yardarm" tradition so I would imagine that all those 19 year olds when hitting a friendly port with no restrictions that just one bottle of Singha would send them well on the way to a hangover. As you say they need taking care of, I'm sure their mums appreciate the efforts of the shore patrols.

What do these kids do when they leave the service and go back to civilian life? Must be a difficult transition. Reminds me of a line from "First Blood" where Sly back in the USA after serving in Vietnam says something like "I was operating million dollars worth of machinery and now I can't get a job at the car wash". According to a hit song at the time the average age of a combat troop in Vietnam was also 19. No wonder so many returning vets can't settle back into chivy life.

I used to find it difficult enough returning to the UK after working just a few months in some remote location and there nobody was even trying to kill me.

In a previous life on a different planet I can remember going with my parents to fancy places like the Ritz and Savoy where there would be a vet working as doorman. At the time I considered it normal but in later years I began to wonder what they must have thought and how they felt after fighting the war and surviving the bloody trenches to only get a job opening doors for the fat cats that stayed at home and only read about it.

:)

This Quote comes from a Phuket online news service. It is not the from the Phuket Gazette so don't think I'm allowed to post the link. Mods let me know if I'm wrong, thanks.

"Jet-skis and ladyboys were among the potential problems raised today as an advance team of US Navy officers met with Phuket's Chief of Police, Major General Pekad Tantipong, and the Superintendent of Patong's Kathu Police Station, Colonel Grissak Songmoonnark.

The two police chiefs were told that jet-skis and ladyboys were the two Phuket ''attractions'' that usually caused friction.

US sailors are barred from riding jet-skis."

Sorry JJ & boys. :D

I would do a tour of the carrier. Anyone know if that's doable? Maybe I could get dropped by parasail. :)

I would do a tour of the carrier. Anyone know if that's doable? Maybe I could get dropped by parasail. :)

We've been discussing this earlier in the thread. Check it out to catch up.

I may have got lucky as I spoke with someone tonight who has been invited for a tour and she is going to see if I can come along. :D

Might I kindly suggest that the lads disembark en masse, promptly rent every single jet ski available, ride 'em straight out to sea, call the rigid raiders off the ship to come collect them, and then scupper each jet ski

Would love to see the looks on the faces of JJ and his gobshite jet ski mafia as their hard earned...sorry... extorted livelihoods sink gently beneath the Andaman.

"American sailors sink pirate fleet off Phuket"

Might I kindly suggest that the lads disembark en masse, promptly rent every single jet ski available, ride 'em straight out to sea, call the rigid raiders off the ship to come collect them, and then scupper each jet ski

Would love to see the looks on the faces of JJ and his gobshite jet ski mafia as their hard earned...sorry... extorted livelihoods sink gently beneath the Andaman.

"American sailors sink pirate fleet off Phuket"

The new coral reef squadron !!! I like it :D

We've been discussing this earlier in the thread. Check it out to catch up.

I may have got lucky as I spoke with someone tonight who has been invited for a tour and she is going to see if I can come along. :D

Just received my invitation!!!!

Will go on Thursday afternoon for a visit.

Gerd

Out fishing today and she sailed past awesom, we had to give way... lol, I believe it takes 6 miles to stop her and a mile to turn 90'. How many miles to make a u-turn??? Looks like a small island Took some pics maybe I will post later.

Didn't catch any fish but a great day, any day fishing is better than a day at work. :)

VDO on http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...hp?news_id=1240

or

The largest US Navy ship and contingent ever to visit Phuket disembarked at the Deep Sea Port for a 5 day stay.

On Tuesday, members of the media including NBT were invited to see and go aboard the huge aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan, over 1000 feet long and 20 stories tall, moored in Ao Makham Bay alongside 2 other US navy ships, the USS Chancellorsville and USS Gridley, with another USS Howard on the way here, bringing about 6-7,000 sailors to visit Phuket until this weekend. On board the huge ship, which was named after the former President of the United States and costing 140 billion baht to build, with many more to equip with over 80 aircraft inside and on the flight deck, there were also 2 Thai-born sailors, Tanan Tangpradabkul, 20 years old and Joe Chotiwat Makaratad, 40, working in the ship and visiting Phuket for the 1st time. The ship even has its own newspaper and TV station. A press conference was given by Rear Admiral Scott Hebner, Commander of Carrier Strike Group Seven, based on USS Ronald Reagan. He talked about this Phuket visit being their favourite stop, their goodwill-generating community service projects, and described to us this largest nuclear-powered aircraft carrier & his other ships and joint training with the Royal Thai Navy: *** voice

weekly Andaman News NBT TV (VHF dial) at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 3.30pm, 7pm, 1.30am & 6.30am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & maybe Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, Friday 25 September 2009 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/

& www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews Send comments to AndamanNews