Flu In Cm Schools, Please Report Experiences

jaideeguy

Our boy [12 yrs] came down with a sudden fever and flu symptoms over this last weekend and we took him into the Ram2 hospital and confirmed that he did have a virus....but no ID of the virus, as the cost of ID is 3kthb and the cure is same...Tamiflu, whatever strain it is.

The wife just returned from his school, Suan Dek/ San Kapheng to report that 10 kids out of 30 in his class came down with it over this last weekend. Some were hospitalized. So far no ID, but it is a virus. Daughter 10 yrs has 5 classmates down.

The tamiflu worked and my boy's temp is down and he seems to be on the mend, 24 hrs later.

Warning......if your children have a sudden high fever, chills, headache, bone ache, cough, sore throat and fatigue....get them into the hospital ASAP....tamiflu works best if before 48 hrs.

Just wondering if this is happening at other schools in the CM area??

Parents, please report and have any H1n1 cases been confirmed?? or is this just the common flu??

Edited by jaideeguy

There were a couple of kids in my girls school a month or so back (school was closed fo disinfecting), but turned out to be seasonal flu in the end - I know that doesn't help with stats, but just shows the level of fear here.

Is the 3k+3k the normal fee or just the usual Ram fleece job? I had a friend thaty had to have the test a few weeks ago after coming down with something (again a false alarm), English guy, and knowing his financial situation I doubt he would have had the 3k (he pays that for rent and lives on about the same again! - so if he did, he couldn't have afforded to eat). If I see him and remember, I'll ask him.

Is the 3k+3k the normal fee or just the usual Ram fleece job?

The 3k was announced in the News Clippings some time ago and applies to all hospitals. The sample has to be sent to Bangkok for verification for H1N1 and appears to take a week for the results. :)

"Sri Pat called me today to say that they have 2009-2010 flu vaccine. Wife were in and out in 45 min.. Cost 300bt. We were on their wait list."

I think you only got vaccinated for the normal flu, as the dr yesterday said late Oct-Nov before the H1N1 vaccine.

Wife has been on the phone with parents and some teachers and found.....

The officials at Suan Dek are downplaying the epidemic at the school.....saying 'it's just the fever and just a few kids were infected'.......not true, when 33% of my boy's classmates are down with it. Parents are organizing a boycot of the school to convince the heads to shut down-clean up before more kids get infected.

Problem with private schools is that they are businesses and have to make profits [at any cost?].

And agree with Tywais....as that's what I heard from dr yesterday. The simple test for 'virus-yes/no' can be done locally for 500thb/3hrs, but to ID it, lots more timely and complicated/expensive. End result.....we'll never have the true figures on H1N1 because no one wants to pay 3kthb.

Meanwhile.....Any more 'outbreaks' at other schools in CM?? or any parents from SuanDek San Kapheng know more on the situation there??

CMIS has had outbreaks for the past month, and has been shutting down classes by grade level for a week at a time as needed. Tests results vary, including some who test negative for A/B influenza then go on to test positive for H1N1, so testing

isn't accurate or reliable. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if every schoolkid were exposed to the virus, and by extension every kid's family, before the new year. But as far as I know there have not been any serious cases and most are recovering on their own without Tamiflu, which doctors are reluctant to prescribe to children unless very sick.

I believe that PTIS have had a couple of returning boarders, who were infected, also some cases in Grades 2 & 3, who were kept at home while the bug ran its course. The school had also considered the potential problem, before term re-started mid-August, and set in place increased hygiene-measures and surveilance. They may also consider temporarily-closing any class where there are several infections.

Don't really see what more any school can do, this is likely to run throughout the general population, including children at school, over the next year or two IMO. Have we stopped going to bars/restaurants/supermarkets or travelling on buses/trains/planes ? :)

Our 5 year old daughter goes to Suan Dek in San Kapheng. We took her into Ram yesterday morning and after the test they confirm it to be 99% Influenza type A. We have asked for the test to be confirmed and were told it will take 2-3 days.

My wife called Saun Dek school after we got the results as the Minibus which picks up our daughter to take to the kids to school told us that another 5 kids in the age/class were ill also and not going in.

The head of the school spoke with my wife and did seem concerned but said that we were the only parents who have called and mentioned that it could be Swine Flu.

Our daughters on Tamiflu and her fever has come down this morning so good news but they are going to keep her in to wait for the results so will keep you posted.

"Sri Pat called me today to say that they have 2009-2010 flu vaccine. Wife were in and out in 45 min.. Cost 300bt. We were on their wait list."

I think you only got vaccinated for the normal flu, as the dr yesterday said late Oct-Nov before the H1N1 vaccine.

Wife has been on the phone with parents and some teachers and found.....

The officials at Suan Dek are downplaying the epidemic at the school.....saying 'it's just the fever and just a few kids were infected'.......not true, when 33% of my boy's classmates are down with it. Parents are organizing a boycot of the school to convince the heads to shut down-clean up before more kids get infected.

Problem with private schools is that they are businesses and have to make profits [at any cost?].

And agree with Tywais....as that's what I heard from dr yesterday. The simple test for 'virus-yes/no' can be done locally for 500thb/3hrs, but to ID it, lots more timely and complicated/expensive. End result.....we'll never have the true figures on H1N1 because no one wants to pay 3kthb.

Meanwhile.....Any more 'outbreaks' at other schools in CM?? or any parents from SuanDek San Kapheng know more on the situation there??

Yes that is right the 2009-2010 flu vaccine. The one that comes out each year. If you believe in "protection" this will do it for the 3 Flu other than the "pig pain".

Hi Buzzer,

I'm the Op to the post on flu outbreak @ SD school. With 2 kids attending and my wife is working with some other parents to wake up the head teacher, who seems to be trying suppress this or at the very least downplay it. FYI.....she IS aware of the situation and have heard from some teachers that had a 'secret emergency meeting' yesterday that they [may] be considering closing the school and cleaning up.

The owners of the school have some other interests that they don't want to upset......hosting conferences and other meetings and seems to me she is slow in reacting because of her other interests as well as 'face'.

One girl we know prsonally was hospitalized and my son was confirmed with virus, but no ID.

School bus was almost empty this morning and we kept our 10 yr old out altho she hasn't showed symptoms....yet.

PM me your phone number and let's see if we can do anything about this head teacher with her head in the sand. The school needs to shut down and clean up.

most schools are infected with H1N1 and would downplay it either by denying any other cases in the school and ignoring that your child actually had it or has it.

sorry but this is the truth!

3k for the more accurate test across the board which takes 2-3 days to receive on the report. Most initial swab test comes out negative. If you suspect that your child has it, go seek immediate attention. Some other signs of H1N1 includes your child having pneumonia. If your child is sick or you are sick, make sure the doc hears your lungs properly and have an x-ray done for signs of pneumonia.

H1N1 is out there big time and I do not think wearing a silly mask is going to keep you from getting it. Go see a doctor if you need to.

I am no medical expert, and my mod status should be disregarded in my following comments.

I just went back to the US (which has had more fatalities than any country from H1N1) for a brief 3 week visit.

Judging from the press here in Thailand, I thought that this would be a major topic of discussion in the US, as well.

It was a non-issue there. Zero news, no one wearing masks, absolutely no discussion from any of my friends with kids in school, including pre-schoolers.

No school closures, no panic....you get the picture.

I returned 5 Sept. I was run down from a very busy trip, was tired and dehydrated and made the mistake of going out and partying one night, about 3 days after returning. No, I didn't bring anything with me (they scanned me at Swampy on arrival)...I probably caught it here in CM from a beer glass washed in cold water, and no disinfectant.

Had a very sore throat Thursday, Friday was up all night coughing, Saturday was flat on my back in bed with a fever, Sunday ventured out to the soi for juice at Tesco Lotus Express. Monday felt 80%. Tuesday (today) feel almost 100%. Tomorrow Wed. I will go work out at the gym as usual.

Was it H1N1? I don't really know if it makes a difference. All I know is that the media in this country, and some very inept and contradictory info from various health authorities here, has everyone here in an absolute panic, IMHO.

Unless you are a pregnant woman, or someone with a compromised immune system, or another high risk category, calm down.

The normal seasonal influenza kills 100's of thousands of people worldwide, yearly.

So far the toll from H1N1 is a small fraction of that.

It has spread rapidly, and yes it is considered a pandemic (meaning a very wide distribution)....but it is not the Black Plague.

If you have young ones in school, and you are concerned, OK pull them out of school.

But flu season will continue here for at least the next few months.....

Again, I'm not a medical expert; just trying to provide some perspective on this issue to concerned parents here.

For the record I'm 57 yrs old, 88 K, and not a picture of perfect health.

And I survived just fine.

:)