Red Flags When Buying A Used Bike

Kf6vci

What is going on the bikesorry.gif.pagespeed.ce.HIAcli9fRM.png

you wanted to add something here cutie?biggrin.png

I did not quite understand author 's meanning ahsmile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

ahh really?

you can send me a pm for more explanation anytime!

yes, it seems the bike of the author 's buying was already registered documents by somewhere. "pm" what 's this?

• 2 weeks later...

I have read this thread with great interest. Have come tothe view that a newbie like me moving to Thailand and having little or no experience if the inner workings of buying and selling bikes means I am best off with a new bike .

So what's this about green books and blue books ? Can anyone explain this without taking too much of your time ? What's the process of buying a new bike from a dealer ? I guess buying a Jap, Thai built bike is gonna be the cheapest option ?

Can you get a Jap 600 or 400 sport bike from a dealer ? Any good ones in BKK ?

Buying new will def be simpler but you can can save some cash buying a few years old bike. For more on buying new or a second hand - do a search or open a new topic if your questions aren't answered.

In a few words - Green Book proves the bike ownership (Blue book is for cars), no book - no insurance, no road tax - illegal to ride on the public roads.

Honda and Kawasaki have plants in Thailand and locally built bikes are the best deal. Yes there're a few Honda and Kawasaki models in your CC range. There is a Motorshow tread going right now, somewhere near the top, read it, there are models and prices mentioned in there.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

In a few words - Green Book proves the bike ownership (Blue book is for cars), no book - no insurance, no road tax - illegal to ride on the public roads.

Incorrect. Just few weeks ago I had a Boss services agency to renew tax and insurance without having the green book. All they needed was a copy of the old tax 'disc'. Edited by paz

Incorrect. Just few weeks ago I had a Boss services agency to renew tax and insurance without having the green book. All they needed was a copy of the old tax 'disc'.

Why is it not correct? Because someone knows someone inside the DLT and was able to bend the rules, doesn't make what I've said "incorrect".

I'm assuming there is a GB and a plate on a bike and it was simply not asked for? if there's not, then where the 1st tax disk came from I can only guess, renewals based on the previous year's tax disk isn't a correct procedure. Please kindly renew yourself, properly, next year and report back of how it went (again, assuming there is a GB and a plate).

There have been many arguments on this subject and I'm just not going to get into another one so I'm out, you may continue if you like.

Incorrect. Just few weeks ago I had a Boss services agency to renew tax and insurance without having the green book. All they needed was a copy of the old tax 'disc'.

Why is it not correct? Because someone knows someone inside the DLT and was able to bend the rules, doesn't make what I've said "incorrect".

I'm assuming there is a GB and a plate on a bike and it was simply not asked for? if there's not, then where the 1st tax disk came from I can only guess, renewals based on the previous year's tax disk isn't a correct procedure. Please kindly renew yourself, properly, next year and report back of how it went (again, assuming there is a GB and a plate).

There have been many arguments on this subject and I'm just not going to get into another one so I'm out, you may continue if you like.

No need to get hot. I reported my experience, authorized DLT agency, beside the new disc I was given an official receipt. Furthermore they found that there was an unpaid ticket, that had to be cleared before renewal.

For these reason I believe all was legal and proper.

• 3 weeks later...

Update. The plot thickens. Got the scanned Green Book. It's in some Thai man's name with an address in Phuket. ** Wait a minute, some farang is selling someone else's bike? Mmh.

The book is new but a "replacement" and the numbers seem to match or at least be all from Honda.

Verifying the book requires accessing the computer at the DMV. This can be accomplished, since I know someone who knows someone who is working there or some other bike import related ministry.

That Er6n looks mightily tempting with a 100% green book, 2 years warranty for only THB 75,000 more. Just thinking aloud here.

Thank you for all posts, I will re-read them a few times.

Have fun!

Chris

Probably a BIBcheesy.gif

• 7 months later...

Dlt seems to want to discourage you at every turn. That was my experience in Pattaya I'm about to deal with them again to get an old bike registered wish me luck. I'm like you im not gonna let their logistical nightmare scare me away, I don't back down easily.

• Like 1

I have the rental contract for my current address with my name and passport number on it, but no official Proof of Address document from immigration.

Is this i) never ii) unlikely iii) likely iv) guaranteed to work for transferring the green book to my name at the DLT?

edit: its a private sale PCX150 where the owner 's name is in green book and the owner is in person with me fwiw

Edited by SukhumvitFan42

I have the rental contract for my current address with my name and passport number on it, but no official Proof of Address document from immigration.

Is this i) never ii) unlikely iii) likely iv) guaranteed to work for transferring the green book to my name at the DLT?

edit: its a private sale PCX150 where the owner 's name is in green book and the owner is in person with me fwiw

Lacking work or ed permit, or yellow book, or Thai citizenship:

i) never.

Get the rescert.

• 4 weeks later...

Update. The plot thickens. Got the scanned Green Book. It's in some Thai man's name with an address in Phuket. ** Wait a minute, some farang is selling someone else's bike? Mmh.

The book is new but a "replacement" and the numbers seem to match or at least be all from Honda.

Verifying the book requires accessing the computer at the DMV. This can be accomplished, since I know someone who knows someone who is working there or some other bike import related ministry.

That Er6n looks mightily tempting with a 100% green book, 2 years warranty for only THB 75,000 more. Just thinking aloud here.

Thank you for all posts, I will re-read them a few times.

Have fun!

Chris

It's common for people not to register the transfer and keep the pre-signed documents to hand to the next buyer. As long as the original seller ID card hasn't expired, you just register it in your name.

Why do people do it? Because it reduces the number of previous owners shown in the green book.

Edited by teutonian

• 2 months later...

Newbie here rolleyes.gif

w00t.gif wow certainly not easy sorting out a motorbike. Doing lots of reading on all the old & new threads here.

Was hoping to get a chopper built. Seems V S Motor in Pattaya might be a good option.