Hollywood Producers Guilty Of Bribing Former TAT Governor

george

BANGKOK FILM FESTIVAL

Hollywood producers guilty of bribing Thai official

30112247-01.jpg

Juthamas, fomer TAT Governor

LOS ANGELES: -- Gerald and Patricia Green are found guilty of bribery and money laundering related to running a film festival in Thailand. This could lead to further investigation into studios' overseas business.

The Los Angeles Times online reported that producers Gerald and Patricia Green were found guilty late Friday on charges of bribery and money laundering related to their running of a local film festival in Thailand, a decision that experts say could lead to further investigation into the huge amounts of business film studios do overseas.

The two were convicted of conspiracy to violate the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, eight counts of violating the FCPA and seven counts of money laundering. In addition, Patricia Green was found guilty on two counts of falsely subscribing U.S. tax returns related to the bribes.

The jury was unable to reach a decision on an obstruction of justice charge against Gerald Green, and the government agreed to drop it. The trial lasted two and a half weeks; jury deliberations took one day.

The online said that under federal guidelines, Gerald Green, 77, and his wife, Patricia, 52, could each face more than 10 years in prison when they are sentenced in December, said Assistant U.S. Atty. Bruce H. Searby, who prosecuted the case.

According to the U.S. government, the Greens paid bribes of $1.8 million to then-Tourism Authority of Thailand governor Juthamas Siriwan in order to run the Bangkok International Film Festival and secure two other contracts related to tourism. The contracts were worth more than $13.5 million, prosecutors said.

"There were a series of different projects and opportunities for the governor and the Greens to make a lot of money," Searby said. "They would build the Greens' profit and bribes to the governor into the contracts."

Thai officials closely followed the Greens' case and may use some of the U.S. government's findings to prosecute Siriwan, Searby said.

The couple worked on the festival in 2003 and operated it from 2004 through 2006. Through connections made in that process, Gerald Green became an executive producer on the 2006 film "Rescue Dawn," which was shot in Thailand. He previously produced the 1986 Oliver Stone film "Salvador" and the 1976 film "Foxtrot," starring Peter O'Toole.

Gerald and Patricia Green's attorneys both said they were disappointed by the verdict and were preparing to appeal.

"It's a case of circumstantial evidence," said Marilyn Bednarski, who represented Patricia Green. She added that "the people of Thailand were not victimized in any way" because the Greens provided "top-notch services" for the festival.

Jerome Mooney, Gerald Green's lawyer, said he thought the case was a warning.

"We understand the government was taking a shot across the bow of Hollywood," he said. "We just wish the shell hadn't landed on our clients' boat."

The prosecution of the Greens, which started in 2007, is the first criminal FCPA case brought by the government against film producers.

James Tillen, an attorney at the Washington law firm Miller & Chevalier who has worked on many foreign corruption cases, said one case in a certain field is typically followed by more.

"Once the [Department of Justice] learns the ins and outs of a particular industry and knows where the FCPA risks are, they're more likely to keep their eyes peeled and go after others in the future," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-09-15

Another one of Thaksin's "best and brightest" with their fingers in the pie. What an incredible surprise....

The thing I find astonishing is the ambition. She went for 70 million baht. 70 million!

I wish I had 70 million baht.

London to a brick she never sees the inside of a Thai courthouse much less the inside of a Thai jail. She should do though, and have all her assets confiscated for stealing from the Thai taxpayer.

Edited by KevinBloodyWilson

Another one of Thaksin's "best and brightest" with their fingers in the pie. What an incredible surprise....

Nothing to do with Thaksin my friend. Lots to do with being a rich Thai - nine in ten of them are at it, corruption is probably the biggest single reason LOS is rapidly degenerating into a failed state. Sad but true.

Lots to do with Thaksin, appointed by him with her own special salary, not the usual TAT rate.

I just like the fact they were able to get it all guaranteeing her bribes out of the contract proceeds. It shows just how much power she had in influencing the decision, as if she was almost the sole arbiter.

Well, as Americans, they of course, screwed the pooch. Old John Law over there loves those kind of cases.

Dr. B

Nothing to do with Thaksin my friend. Lots to do with being a rich Thai - nine in ten of them are at it, corruption is probably the biggest single reason LOS is rapidly degenerating into a failed state. Sad but true.

:) You are naive.

Lots to do with Thaksin, appointed by him with her own special salary, not the usual TAT rate.

I wonder what happened to the proceeds? Her daughter for a time was running some shops at All Seasons that funnily enough, not many people bought stuff from. Not implying that those shops were anything other than legitimate business failures, of course.

So let me get this straight.

If you have to give a bribe to a Thai ( cop, amphur whatever ), then it is you that have committed the offence?

Answers on a postcard ( or the back of a postage stamp) : Has any Thai ever not blamed a foreigner?

If you have to give a bribe to a Thai ( cop, amphur whatever ), then it is you that have committed the offence?

Answers on a postcard ( or the back of a postage stamp) : Has any Thai ever not blamed a foreigner?

Caf...err...you actually DIDN'T get it straight. This thing.. errr..was ruled by the US court. Had you actually read the news, you certainly would have seen that the Thai court didn't convict the Americans. :)

On the Thai side though, they will surely go after Juthamas, the fomer TAT Governor, soon.

Caf...err...you actually DIDN'T get it straight. This thing.. errr..was ruled by the US court. Had you actually read the news, you certainly would have seen that the Thai court didn't convict the Americans. :)

On the Thai side though, they will surely go after Juthamas, the fomer TAT Governor, soon.

Don't worry. If the sun was shining, beer was free and 20 hot naked nubile women and came up to CAF and begged him to have his way with them, he'd still find some reason to accuse them of anti-farang sentiment.

Edited by samran

The USA has specific federal laws to prevent Americans from bribing for business in ANY country.

It would need be a pretty BIG bribe like this one here to stand out in Thailand of course.

Seems they found a perfect example though.

Bribing on locations and for permits and such as been a part of film business location shooting for a LONG time.

Considered a part of the write off costs of locations shooting.

Now either L:

Some locations will now be lost, because the controllers won't let you in with out the bribe,

or more creative ways will be found to give the bribes.

The Greens weren't the only ones paying huge bribes to Jutamas. In Thailand the NACC is deciding now whether to proceed with a case against her.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/08/12...nt_30109639.php

Things are getting hot for Jutamas Siriwan, former governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, as local and overseas investigations point to her as being a key player in the Bangkok International Film Festival bribery scandal.

Piyawat Kingket, chief of the Department of Special Investigation's special crimes unit, said yesterday that evidence has been found locally to implicate suspects, including Jutamas, who has consistently and vehemently denied any involvement in allegedly taking kickbacks while she was overseeing the film festival.

The case, which involved bribery and budgets that were within Jutamas's power to approve, has been forwarded to the National Anti-Corruption Commission, which is expected to make a decision soon on how to proceed, Piyawat said.

see also

http://www.asianewsnet.net/news.php?sec=3&id=7306

Edited by wayfarer108

Still, I remember her complaining that she was stuck selling that Elite card thingy (which she mostly gave away). I actually felt sorry for her.

Still, I remember her complaining that she was stuck selling that Elite card thingy (which she mostly gave away). I actually felt sorry for her.

hope it was fleeting sympathy. The lady is a piece of work from what I've heard....

My apologies. I wrongly assumed it was aThai court.

Let's see what a Thai court will do with the governor - if that ever makes the news.

Don't worry. If the sun was shining, beer was free and 20 hot naked nubile women and came up to CAF and begged him to have his way with them, he'd still find some reason to accuse them of anti-farang sentiment.

Another 18 posts and samran will have posted 7000 irrelevant comments that add nothing to a topic being discussed. what a clown.

Let's try to keep it civil and not flame others.

There are a lot of implications in a case like this. For example, how might this affect other business ventures, since most contracts are done through greasing some palms?

How does Thailand look internationally, although it is hardly a huge international story, because of this?

Is corruption getting worse in Thailand?

Nice attempt at subtly pushing your (sick) hidden agenda. But I just wanted to let you know that, if you had read the news (you and Caf are buddies? :) ), you would have understood that the actual crime in this case happened when the name of Thai PM was Thaksin Shinnawatra.

The couple worked on the festival in 2003 and operated it from 2004 through 2006
Edited by ThNiner

Good, now nail the Thai witch queen over here.

Nail? How can you write that, she has told us vehemently, many times, that she did not do it, you don't think the lady lies do you? She now has to share the spoils to get away.

Edited by dre1247

Don't you just love the law.... The Penal Code of Thailand One can buy it in any bookshop at a courthouse, Baht 400 if I remember one page in Thai one in English.

(1)Section 147.- Whoever, being an official having the duty of purchasing, manufacturing, managing or keeping any thing, dishonestly misappropriates the same for his own or the other person, or dishonestly allows the other person to misappropriates the some, shall be punished with imprisonment of five to twenty years or imprisonment for life, and fine of two thousand to forty thousand bath.

(2)Section 148.- Whoever, being an official, by a wrongful exercise of his functions, coerces or induces any person to deliver or to procure a property or any other benefit for himself or the other person, shall be punished with imprisonment of five to twenty years or imprisonment for life, and fine of two thousand to forty thousand bath, or death.

DEATH gentlemen, thats right hahahaha

Let's try to keep it civil and not flame others.

There are a lot of implications in a case like this. For example, how might this affect other business ventures, since most contracts are done through greasing some palms?

How does Thailand look internationally, although it is hardly a huge international story, because of this?

No, it only is more exposed lately probably through the availability of local and worldwide news over the internet.

Nice attempt at subtly pushing your (sick) hidden agenda. But I just wanted to let you know that, if you had read the news (you and Caf are buddies? :) ), you would have understood that the actual crime in this case happened when the name of Thai PM was Thaksin Shinnawatra.

The couple worked on the festival in 2003 and operated it from 2004 through 2006

Now who is pushing agendas here. What a rude post, go wash your mouth and your hands to and clean your key board.......

FILM FESTIVAL SCANDAL

NACC to examine probe against ex-TAT chief

By THE NATION

Published on September 16, 2009

NACC to examine probe against ex-TAT chief

The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) will today review the investigation by its subcommittee against former Tourism Authority of Thailand governor Juthamas Siriwan following the conviction of two Los Angeles movie executives by a US federal jury for paying bribes.

The two Americans were convicted for paying a former TAT governor US$1.8 million (Bt61 million) in bribes.

The NACC believes that charges could be filed within this month while the prosecution should begin by November, Methee Kongkaew, an NACC commissioner who serves as chairman of the subcommittee, said yesterday.

Juthamas was the TAT governor from 2002 to 2006 when the Greens were awarded the rights to host the Bangkok International Film Festival (BIFF) from 2002 to 2007.

A source in the tourism industry said the NACC might freeze Juthamas's assets once she is charged.

Methee said that at today's meeting, the information from the US Justice Department and the defendants, as well as the US jury's verdict, will be taken into account, to find out if a Thai official was involved in the bribery case for rights to host the film festivals.

"Initially, what we received from the Federal Bureau of Investigation is clear, particularly the financial transactions completed overseas. As we have no access to the documents, they hold significant weight in concluding this case," Methee said. He noted that if the NACC needs more information, the Office of Attorney-General would be requested to coordinate with US officials.

Methee noted that aside from the bribery case, Juthamas and a deputy governor was also accused of abuse of power.

Agence France-Presse reported yesterday that, based on a statement from the US Justice Department, Gerald Green, 77, and Patricia Green, 52, were convicted by a federal jury late Friday on charges of conspiracy, violating anti-corruption laws and money-laundering.

According to the indictment, the Greens allegedly paid $1.8 million in bribes to the former tourism chief via bank accounts in Singapore, Jersey and Britain set up in the names of the former TAT governor's daughter and a friend.

Prosecutors said the Greens had received more than $13.5 million in revenue from the contracts. Patricia Green was also found guilty of submitting false tax returns. The couple will be sentenced on December 17 and could face jail terms of more than 20 years, according to sentencing guidelines.

Associated Press earlier quoted Jonathan Lopez, a senior trial attorney with the US Justice Department, as saying that the couple paid the sum to Juthamas. The payments, some of which were allegedly in cash to Juthamas directly, were often disguised as sales commissions, ranging between 10 per cent and 20 per cent, Lopez said.

Juthamas has not yet faced any charges. The Department of Special Investigation (DSI), which first took over the case late last year, submitted a report to the NACC with the conclusion that there were grounds to take the case further.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/09/16