English Girl To Marry Thai Boyfriend

Hi All

Can anybody tell me how our daughter goes about marrying her Thai boyfriend.

She is a tourist in the country at present and wants to marry a Thai boy. What are the visa requirements and how do they alter after her marriage.

Any information would be very useful.

At the moment she is getting her extensions to her tourist visa every 30 days no questions asked or required to show return airline ticket. Is this correct? Is it that lax?

Can she renew indefinitely like this?

At this moment in time is also an overstayer - does this affect her chances of getting married.

Thanks

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She can marry even if she is on a 30 day visa. Once the marriage is registered she will the have to apply for an extension to stay based on marriage at the 'local amphur', i.e district office to wherever they happen to be at the time. The procedure is straight forward, once they are married she can apply for a yearly renewable visa based on the fact that she is married. Initially, they will continue to issue her with 30 day visa's until the authorities are satisfied that her marriage is genuine after which she will get a one year visa granted on the basis that she is married to a Thai man. If you need further info feel free to P.M me. Good luck!

:o

wow overstayed??? thats a big problem

:D WOW for overstay, But the BIG Question is ?? :D Does this girl know what she is getting in to !!!. Unless she has known this "boy" for a long time, I would be very carefull. Thai culture is very different from farang culture. Think twice before you take any serious steps into "matrimony"

:o
wow overstayed??? thats a big problem

:D WOW for overstay, But the BIG Question is ?? :D Does this girl know what she is getting in to !!!. Unless she has known this "boy" for a long time, I would be very carefull. Thai culture is very different from farang culture. Think twice before you take any serious steps into "matrimony"

I second that.Thai men are very famous for their casanova skills.

And thai women are famous for cutting off your ding-dong, doesn't mean they all do it :o .

OK, first off, I believe she must leave the country and reenter on a proper visa (tell her she needs a non-imm O visa) after having paid her overstay fine. She then must go to her embassy and sign a document saying she is not already married, then have it translated and take it to the proper Thai govt office (embassy has all the details). Then, they can take this paper to the local district office and get married. Then she goes to the local immigration and they will tell her how to get a one year extension on her visa.

But, I must tell you, she has to do all this herself and if she is so disorganized that she is already overstaying her visa, it doesn't bode well for future dealings with immigration.

I am a very lucky woman, having celebrated my 15th anniversary with the lovely Thai man I married, but most do not last. Tell her to think long and hard about what she is doing before getting married.

And thai women are famous for cutting off your ding-dong, doesn't mean they all do it :o .

OK, first off, I believe she must leave the country and reenter on a proper visa (tell her she needs a non-imm O visa) after having paid her overstay fine. She then must go to her embassy and sign a document saying she is not already married, then have it translated and take it to the proper Thai govt office (embassy has all the details). Then, they can take this paper to the local district office and get married. Then she goes to the local immigration and they will tell her how to get a one year extension on her visa.

But, I must tell you, she has to do all this herself and if she is so disorganized that she is already overstaying her visa, it doesn't bode well for future dealings with immigration.

I am a very lucky woman, having celebrated my 15th anniversary with the lovely Thai man I married, but most do not last. Tell her to think long and hard about what she is doing before getting married.

You are lucky indeed sbk.One woman in hundred of thousands probably,in thailand whose marriage last that long. :D I must adore that your husband is an exception.For other persons,I really don't think that they will have the same luck like you.So it's better for them to think it 1 thousand times before getting that serious with a thai guy.

:D Likewise, would suggest that you have a most serious discussion with her regarding life after infatuation. If she does insist on marrying, it is my understanding that she will first need to leave the Kingdom (thus clearing her overstay) and on re-entry she would be clear to marry. She really does need to take stock of the situation.

She can marry even if she is on a 30 day visa. Once the marriage is registered she will the have to apply for an extension to stay based on marriage at the 'local amphur', i.e district office to wherever they happen to be at the time. The procedure is straight forward, once they are married she can apply for a yearly renewable visa based on the fact that she is married. Initially, they will continue to issue her with 30 day visa's until the authorities are satisfied that her marriage is genuine after which she will get a one year visa granted on the basis that she is married to a Thai man. If you need further info feel free to P.M me. Good luck!

She can NEVER extend a 30 day permit. It is a trip to another country to get a Non-Immigrant O visa. The early days overstay is a bad omen. Does she know that it is jail and deportation when she's sprung ?

Am I right in thinking that marriage in Thailand isn't legally binding like in the UK.

When your daughter gets bored of new hubbys whisky guzzling,cock fighting,gambling and mia nois she can simply come back to the UK leaving everything behind.

But seriously,I hope she has plans regarding earning a living.Visa runs and general living all add up,and if she is to be supporting a young Thai husband this will be expensive too.Maybe they plan to live in the UK ater marriage??

Good luck.

Am I right in thinking that marriage in Thailand isn't legally binding like in the UK.

When your daughter gets bored of new hubbys whisky guzzling,cock fighting,gambling and mia nois she can simply come back to the UK leaving everything behind.

But seriously,I hope she has plans regarding earning a living.Visa runs and general living all add up,and if she is to be supporting a young Thai husband this will be expensive too.Maybe they plan to live in the UK ater marriage??

Good luck.

A proper marriage is absolutely legal and binding.

I note that you mentioned "boy".............so they must be pretty young. Seems as if your daughter may be too naive and maybe her "so called bf" has tricked her in thinking that since she has overstayed, the only way out is to marry him. IT WILL NOT WORK THIS WAY.

I would advise against it. Most posters here have indicated their thoughts and that should trigger off warning bells already.

As a parent, I would get her back where you are for a few months and see how it goes. If she still wants to marry this "boy".........then proceed cautiously. Marriage should not be taken so lightly. If she met him while she was on holiday..............is must be a whirlwind romance and will not last long. :o

My bet is that this "boy" would be playing around while she is gone......... :D I had a friend who met this Thai guy while she was on holiday here...........she went back to pack her stuff to move here and was gone for a few months. After returning to Bangkok for a few months, she discovered that she caught Herpes from him..................although he sweared he was faithful...... :D:D

My advise is NOT to do it but that is my opinion. I wish you luck with your daughter

Edited by JoJo

No one can say what the future holds for this union, and not all Thai men fall in the bar/island/womanizing type. Each man is different. Any inter-cultural marriage is a challenge, marriage in the same culture is a challenge. Maybe this man is educated, has a good job and a plan for a bright future.

So ...

Is he educated? (not that all educated man are better the than the rest but it helps)

What does this man do for a living?

Can he support himself? and a family?

How long have they known each other?

Can they just live together for a while?

If they stay here, what will she do for a living?

How young are they?

Any marriage is at risk if going into it naively and unrealistically.

As Pat said a Thai registered marriage is as legal as any in the world and Thailand is a joint property type state. The girl in question seems to be about 28 if I recall correctly so there does not seem to be much that can be done by the parent. It does seem to be a whirlwind affair in a tropical garden but we have only heard one side of the story (and for all we know it may only be a story).

If story is for real I would be on the next flight to meet intended and if still opposed try to talk (my) sense into daughter. This forum plea may make good soap opera but it is not going to change anything.

There's something about this thread lends me to believe it is legit, for which I truly empathize with the parents' anguish. Certainly at 28, from an earlier thread, she is old enough to make her own decisions, but it doesn't lessen the obvious parental turmoil any less.

I can also think of any number of reasons why someone might not be in a position to fly here and talk sense to her. It never ceases to amaze what children often put their parents through...

**and I'm certainly no exception to that**

I hope smad informs us as to the eventual outcome...

Thank you to you all for your replies

Yep we are worried out of our minds and do not want this marriage to proceed for all the reasons that you give.

You might want to take some strong action.

I would say the last thing you want her to do is to marry a Thai man. Thai women don't even want anything to do woth them.

And don't forget to tell him the standard dowry is 1 million pounds

Edited by Khun Larry

You might want to take some strong action.

I would say the last thing you want her to do is to marry a Thai man. Thai women don't even want anything to do woth them.

And don't forget to tell him the standard dowry is 1 million pounds

Do you have ANYTHING positive to say about anything?

cv

cdnvic............I think Larry is just trying to be realistic.

The woman (whether she is 28 or not) could have been misled. We do not really know the situation at hand.

Parents are worried, she met him while she was holidaying and she has overstayed cos of him...........if he really cares about her, he would have asked her to extend the visa or ask her to go back to settle her visa issues first.

Warning signs to me...........what is so positive about the above? :o

If story is for real I would be on the next flight to meet intended and if still opposed try to talk (my) sense into daughter. This forum plea may make good soap opera but it is not going to change anything.

Well said...........

Edited by JoJo

She can NEVER extend a 30 day permit.  It is a trip to another country to get a Non-Immigrant O visa. The early days overstay is a bad omen. Does she know    that it is jail and deportation when she's sprung ?

I think that was changed about a year ago so now you CAN change a 30 day permit to a Non-O without leaving the country.

Everyone seems so pessimistic and cynical on this forum when it comes to relationships with thai ...

how can anyone of us begin to judge this relationship when all we have to go by is a few lines on the forum topic and alot of prejudicial stereotypes.

Yes some thai men, and women for that matter, may have hidden agendas when forming relationships with "falang" but this is the same all over the world and is definately not specific to thailand. you really have to look at the individual sitaution ...

personally i wish them good luck in the future and hope it brings them much happiness and love. They do have alot to overcome , not least the prejudice and judgemental opinions of others ...

i to would recommend the originator to go over and meet this man with "an open mind" .. to judge the situation for themselves .. also meet the family and try to understand the culture of your future son in law ...

and also advise your daughter not to rush into anything .. marriage after all is for life so what does itmatter if you wait one or two years before staking the plunge

Edited by Clip_My_Wings

Wow, a few people with something positive to say. My reasons for stating many of these marriages not lasting has nothing to do with how low Thai men are,according to some obviously very prejudiced men on this forum, but everything to do with (as Gisele so wisely pointed out) how difficult a cross cultural marriage is, and how disorganized this girl seems to be.

Personally, I find some of these idiotic comments very very offensive and find the comment that Thai women won't have anything to do with Thai men absolutely astonishingly stupid when you consider that there are a fair few million with Thai husbands. Too many men on this forum have hooked up with women from failed marriages, listen only to their biased wives commentary, and take it as the gospel truth. I know many many wonderful Thai men (dear hubby included) who are decent, honest, and hard-working. Your biased attitude is what gets you into trouble in this country. How would you like it if someone came to your country with such an arrogant attitude towards men from your country??

OK. rant over. Next time, think before you post twaddle. It can offend.

As far as this girl, well, if she really is 28 years old then you really need to back off and let her learn from her own mistakes. She is hardly a child and if she doesn't know by now, then she will learn quite quickly once you let her.

Hi All

Can anybody tell me how our daughter goes about marrying her Thai boyfriend.

She is a tourist in the country at present and wants to marry a Thai boy.  What are the visa requirements and how do they alter after her marriage.

Any information would be very useful.

At the moment she is getting her extensions to her tourist visa every 30 days no questions asked or required to show return airline ticket.  Is this correct? Is it that lax?

Can she renew indefinitely like this?

At this moment in time is also an overstayer - does this affect her chances of getting married.

Thanks

Everyone seems so pessimistic and cynical on this forum when it comes to relationships with thai ...

how can anyone of us begin to judge this relationship when all we have to go by is a few lines on the forum topic and alot of prejudicial stereotypes. 

Yes some (MOST IS MORE LIKE IT) thai men, and women for that matter, may have hidden agendas when forming relationships with "falang" but this is the same all over the world and is definately not specific to thailand. you really have to look at the individual sitaution ...

personally i wish them good luck in the future and hope it brings them much happiness and love. They do have alot to overcome , not least the prejudice and judgemental opinions  of others ... VERY WEAK ARGUEMENT IN THIS CASE

i to would recommend the originator to go over and meet this man with "an open mind" .. to judge the situation for themselves .. also meet the family and try to understand the culture of your future son in law ...  SORRY, THIS IS CRAZY ADVICE

and also advise your daughter not to rush into anything .. marriage after all is for life so what does itmatter if you wait one or two years before staking the plunge ... GOOD ADVICE

Hopefully the poster is getting a feel for how unadvisable the relationship likely is. Even most of the farangs liking in Thailand for years are "taken".

And don't forget the huge dowry

Yes some (MOST IS MORE LIKE IT) thai men, and women for that matter, may have hidden agendas when forming relationships with "falang" but this is the same all over the world and is definately not specific to thailand. you really have to look at the individual sitaution ...

personally i wish them good luck in the future and hope it brings them much happiness and love. They do have alot to overcome , not least the prejudice and judgemental opinions  of others ... VERY WEAK ARGUEMENT IN THIS CASE

i to would recommend the originator to go over and meet this man with "an open mind" .. to judge the situation for themselves .. also meet the family and try to understand the culture of your future son in law ...   SORRY, THIS IS CRAZY ADVICE

and also advise your daughter not to rush into anything .. marriage after all is for life so what does itmatter if you wait one or two years before staking the plunge ... GOOD ADVICE

Hopefully the poster is getting a feel for how unadvisable the relationship likely is. Even most of the farangs liking in Thailand for years are "taken".

And don't forget the huge dowry

can she really ask the thai man for a dowry for her daughter ???

my advice when you meet this man is to ask his intentions to your daughter ?? what his job, can i provide a home and car for her, how will he support her. These are the questions a Thai mother would ask so they should be expected ... Also doesn't thai tradition mean that he needs to ask permission from the parent as well ???

Do you have ANYTHING positive to say about anything?

cv

Why must a negative situation require a positive post. In the strongest of terms I want to convey this as a likely nightmare for the girl and the parents based on my experience with Thailand.

I am constantly amazed at the crop of Farangs Thailand attracts. Some people need to make an effort to think more, if possible.