Thai/farang Limited Partnership

Hi all,

Just a few questions regarding setup of a Thai/Farang Limited Partnership and hope someone can clarify these points for me.....

Do I only need one person for a Thai / Farang Thai Limited Partnership company??

If so can be just anyone or not? I have been told If I was married to a Thai I could setup such a company between us easily??

I am not married to a Thai so do Farang’s who are not married normally have to setup a company with 3 nominee’s ??

I am not certain about what options might be open to me.

I've been told so many different things by different people and just want to know what the rules are...

Any help or advice much appreciated

A few years ago I set up a Ltd Partnership with my (then) Thai wife. 2 persons were the minimum requirement and one had to be Thai. Since we were married, in theory I could get a work permit if we had 2 Thai employees, (4 if we were not married). In practice, the Phuket Labour office refused on 2 occasions to give me a Work Permit on the grounds that a 'farang' could not obtain a WP in a Ltd Partnership entity (totally incorrect statement on their part, but they were the people who issued the WP so I was stuffed). I was told to set up a ltd company (จำกัด).

If you do set up a Ltd company, do not use nominees! You need 3 shareholders and they could be you, your wife and another person in your wife's family

Simon