Do Most Thais Pay Attention To Mileage In Cycles?

PeaceBlondie

In the thread about used automatics, I just asked, "Aren't some automatics very thirsty?"

Then I wondered: how many Thais measure fuel mileage ? I measure maybe 90% of mine, and it's not easy. You have to fill up several times; record odometer setting and fuel consumed since last fill-up. Divide correctly; write it down.

My partner has believed for decades that 2-stoke engines are much thirstier; probably true. He thinks our thriftiest bikes have been my CBR's that are driven often around 130 kph; not true. He has no idea what his Toyota burns. He thinks his auto bikes get lousy mileage (he said 20 or 25). He agrees that many Thais may only measure the first 2.6 liter fill-up and guess.

I'm not anti-Thai; I simply suspect that they don't measure closely, often. Neither do many farang.

I do not think Thais really measure the mileage. As you said, it is fairly involved to do with a motorcycle. At the bare minimum you would have to fill up the tank completely and I know alot of (broke) people who just fill up enough to get to run around a bit. And with the type of riding that most Thais do, i don't think it matters very much. I doubt that alot of Thais do long distance touring. It's mostly to and fro stuff, and the mileage really doesn't matter that much.

I also actually very rarely fill up my bikes all the ways any ways. I've had problems with fuel leaking out when I try so I just fill it up 'enough'. I think it is much harder to measure mileage in a bike. Unlike the car where the pump automatically shuts off, you can't really do that in a bike. When you are trying to fill up a bike tank you kind of got to eyeball it or feel it to get the most in there. I don't really know of a way for me to make sure that I fill it up to the same level the second time to figure out how much fuel I have used for how much mileage I have gotten.

Can't speak for all, of course, but my wife never calculates mileage. She talks about how much she spent last month for petrol - but doesn't know how many kms she's gone. All of her riding is around town, anyway, so I've got to agree with Submaniac - it's really not that important.

Off topic just a little, but I cringe when the trip computer on my little Vigo shows real-time mileage around town. My average fuel economy has dropped a lot, because I don't put as many road kms on any more.

I'm not anti-Thai; I simply suspect that they don't measure closely, often. Neither do many farang.

Mental arithmetic..

Not being nasty but I dont know many Thais that would do the numbers, keep track of mileage, calculate litres in and divide it down properly..

Bit to mai pen rai for all that..

My wife has a Mio, I used to have a Phantom.

Mio got maybe 20-25 kp/litre my Phantom up to 40 kp/litre.

Wifey had no idea her bike was so thirsty until I worked it out, now she wants a Wave.

Ap, if your wife is interested in cheap transportation, I suggest the new Honda 110i. Its the fuel injected version of the wave and VERY economical.. Can run on E20, maybe even Sang Som in a pinch :)

I have the 110 CZi -same engine, different trim- and averaged 58 Km/L over 12k+ kilometers. And yes, I write down after every fill up :D

Wifey had no idea her bike was so thirsty until I worked it out, now she wants a Wave.

Ap, if your wife is interested in cheap transportation, I suggest the new Honda 110i. Its the fuel injected version of the wave and VERY economical.. Can run on E20, maybe even Sang Som in a pinch :)

I have the 110 CZi -same engine, different trim- and averaged 58 Km/L over 12k+ kilometers. And yes, I write down after every fill up :D

Thanks for the headsup, we'll take a look but the only way she'll ever run it on Sang Som is when she pries the bottle from my cold dead hand.

I reckon they have a fairly good idea of the amount of fuel they use.

At our service station, we fill more than a thousand bikes per day. You always ask the customer how much fuel he/she wants and they will reply 50/60/80/90/100/120/"dtem tung" etc.

You would be amazed how many times when a customer asks for 90B - 90B is exactly full but not overflowing - ie, could not put another 2B of fuel in the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Since gas is costing me less than $4USD a full tank for my Nouvo Elegance, I feel like scootering is almost for free compared to driving a car.

I always think about it just to satisfy curiousity but I fail to remember to record the odo/gallon readings everytime.

It's a simple process but I simply forget to do it.

I used to have Wave 125, Mio, Nuovo MX and Phantom 200cc at the same time. They all averaged 30-35 km/litre. So does the new Nuovo Elegance 135cc.

Amazed with my Kawasaki Ninja 650R. Around Phuket it returns 20-30 km/litre. If I ride it like a Phantom, cruising 90kmh, its equal on fuel with Phantom at 35 km/litre.

My Honda VTX 1800cc v-twin was not very impressing at 9-12 km/litre.

If thais check milage? Never seen it or talked to anyone doing it, but they always have a fairly good idea how many baht to fill up at the gas station. :)