Cat Question

Patsycat

My cat Saturna sadly died in February at the grand old age of 16. I did write an ode to her here.

Now I have a dilemma - my other cat Jimmy seems a bit lost without his sister and I think he is a bit lonely without feline company (can't complain about me to anyone!!). So, I was thinking about getting a kitten. At the moment there seems to be alot of them around.

But I am a bit worried about Jimbo's reaction to a new furry friend in the house. Will he attack it, hurt it, eat it (!).

I don't expect him to welcome it with open paws. But I have read that it is better to have two cats rather than one and they keep each other company when mamma is away at work or in the pub.

Also, he is very clingy towards me - I can't even have a bath without him hovering around and don't get me on the subject of the sleeping arrangements!. So, should we just plodder on as a one cat home or try and introduce a special little furry person into the fold?

Any answers or experiences? By the way, he is nine years old and has always lived with other cats - five at one time.

I'm in Europe so don't try to melt my heart with the most beautiful kits in Thailand!!

My cat Saturna sadly died in February at the grand old age of 16. I did write an ode to her here.

Now I have a dilemma - my other cat Jimmy seems a bit lost without his sister and I think he is a bit lonely without feline company (can't complain about me to anyone!!). So, I was thinking about getting a kitten. At the moment there seems to be alot of them around.

But I am a bit worried about Jimbo's reaction to a new furry friend in the house. Will he attack it, hurt it, eat it (!).

I don't expect him to welcome it with open paws. But I have read that it is better to have two cats rather than one and they keep each other company when mamma is away at work or in the pub.

Also, he is very clingy towards me - I can't even have a bath without him hovering around and don't get me on the subject of the sleeping arrangements!. So, should we just plodder on as a one cat home or try and introduce a special little furry person into the fold?

Any answers or experiences? By the way, he is nine years old and has always lived with other cats - five at one time.

I'm in Europe so don't try to melt my heart with the most beautiful kits in Thailand!!

----------------------------------------------

My God!! You are for real??? This is not a joke??? I am sad to hear that your cat died. But I am wondering. You really really sounds like a catlover!! But you also sounds that you doesn´t know anything at all about cats.. Eat eachother....

I must admit that I have a more pragmatic view of animals. I like them, but not indoors, I am now talking about my home. But what I know from experience when I grow up, is that if you have a animal at home. This animal consider your home to be HIS/HER turf... any other animal entering is asking for problem.

But this is easily overcome by patience from your side. It will take you a day or three than you can relax. The 2 cats have probably settled who is strongest and fittest and therefore big boss at home.

I am buhhhhing this "mamma-stuff".... hmmm.. it is animals we ar talking about,,,,,,

Glegolo

By the way. down here in Thailand. here is not any beutiful cats. they run arround most of the time

scared as hel_l for all the 2 billion dam_n dogs that are chasing them. And the cats are skinny as hel_l

and doesn´t look good at all. Just so you know!!

Glegolo

glegolo, there is no "one size fits all" with any animal (or person), so i find your comment about others not knowing about cats a bit off. Cats have different temperaments, some take well to new feline company, some are more territorial/hostile/nervous of them. Usually an adult cat will also respond better to a kitten than another adult cat too. Even if a bit of low growling and some swipes happen, usually the adult cat will soften towards the kitten. Also, once they have bonded, its lovely to witness (playing, mutual grooming, etc). Ive successfully introduced other cats into my home on different occasions. One was an adult rescue cat and although the cats were very wary of each other they ended up as best friends. Cuddling and playing and sleeping entwined together. I had them both for a long time and when one of them died at 14 years leaving his best friend, my bf at the time brought home a kitten six months later. Despite my initially reaction of thinking it was a really bad idea (especially seeing as my other cat was around 9 years old by that time), my older cat took on a bit of a mother role quite quickly. Running to the kitten when she heard her give out a little cry etc. They too ended up with a close bond. I actually believe the kitten gave my other cat a new lease of life. She would play some crazy games with her teenage kitty friend.

Patsy, I imagine only you will know in the end what is right for your kitty. If you havent introduced a new cat in this way before, and decide to go for it, i recommend keeping the kitten aside for a while in one room and letting it get used to the territory, so it feels safe. Then, start to let your other cat in to have a bit of a look and smell. Pet both of them and let them both see their is no threat. Look out for any signs that your older cat feels threatened, such as territorial marking around the home. Im also sure their must be some great tips on the net for introducing new cats into a home. Good luck whatever you decide to do (and let us know!). :)

By the way. down here in Thailand. here is not any beutiful cats. they run arround most of the time

scared as hel_l for all the 2 billion dam_n dogs that are chasing them. And the cats are skinny as hel_l

Glegolo

??????? :)

You obviously is only as a tourist in Thailand.

Thailand has the most beautiful cats in the world.

Patsy:

In one week they will establish who is the boss. (The 9 year old)

Then it's not going to be any problem.

If your cat is female, pick a male or vice versa.

Sorry to learn about you and your companion now being alone. Please look for a new cat, preferably male, as a replacement.

All will be OK quickly because the relation between the two cats is established soonest. I know well because I had three

generations of cats over the last 45 years, also in Switzerland.

All the best and much luck and enjoy life with your four-legged partners. If you like, please PM me.

Patsy,

I posed your question to Dr. RJ Peters -- a cat expert who publishes 'Kitty Times.'

Her response follows:

Hope I'm not too late to help Patsy.

I think she should get Jimbo a new companion as soon as

possible. It will help him to get over his loneliness, especially

since he's used to being with other cats. But, equally important,

it will give a home to a kitten who might otherwise have no future.

Of course, you can always refer anyone to my website,

www.theproblemcat.com, for advice on how to introduce a new

cat to one's home. A specific link would be:

http://www.theproblemcat.com/articles/intronewcats.html

and there are other useful articles here:

http://www.theproblemcat.com/faq.html

It's actually easier to introduce a kitten to the home than an

adult cat. Kittens know they are small and rank low, so they

are very submissive. Mature cats know this as well, and though

they may be rough on the little one, are instinctually educating

the little one as to who's in charge and they'd better not forget it.

I hope this helps!

Glegolo

I find the exact opposite in Thailand,the dogs DONT attack the cats in general.

I've found it really depends on your cat. We thought our Alpha male would be a problem in the group, but he turned out to be the biggest softy of them all, the females were the bigger issue, when homeless kittens came in. Whichever way, they will either be buddies or mutually ignore each other, even this is fine, if they spend all their time avoiding each other then at least she has something to do, sounds stupid but its true.

post-54765-1253236063_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the replies, folks!!

And Glegolo i found your post a bit rude. I have alot of experience with cats, I have had cats in my life all of my life. I still havent decided what to do, but will let you guys know the outcome.

---------------------------

Sorry Patsycat, I didn´t mean to be rude to you. But when you are talking about, that cats may eat eachother. Hmmmmm!! Maybe you left your cats too long and too lonely at home and there was no other food than the fellowcat.

I am also always very surpriced to see this stuff with "mama" this and that in connection with animals. I understand a sincere nice relationship based on trust from both parties, but when I hear this - "come to mama know. mama will give you foddsy". I really dont get it.

Good luck with your new cat.

Glegolo

+++

I agree with Eek. When I introduced a new cat into my home (it was dumped on us by a friend, but I couldn't just take it to a rescue centre ot dump it, so I kept it until I found a really nice home for her) my cat knew immediately there was another about. I found it was best to put them in separate rooms so they could smell each other without fighting. I kept them apart this way for a week - feeding them separately.

I used tricks like glass between them (actually one cat was in the conservatory which had a glass door) so they could see each other.

Gradually I let them be together in the same room as me for an hour or so before separating them again. Remember to give extra love to your original pal - out of site of the other one. Within two or three weeks they were fine.

I will say this, it helps to feed them separately and at some point they will fight - this is natural and they need to work out dominance, just keep an eye out that they don't get carried away (usually its just batting each other or a quick rugby tackle and away).

If anything, I found the new cat was more aggressive than my original one - who after he got over the shock - just seemed interested (but wouldn't take any sh!t). Both had been doctored. He is now here in Thailand with me and keeps my garden free of other cats (or anything alive larger than a dragonfly really! - except jingjooks, he ate a couple and was sick, so he just chases them up the wall now instead). He is a Maine Coon so is about twice the size of the local cats and probably 6 times the weight (and he's certainly not fat).

Here's one for you, got three more. :)

I already saw him and his three sisters in your thread and was going to comment that the poor fella is probably nagged to exhaustion!!!! In fact he looks rather like Jimmy in my av!!!

Edited by Patsycat

Hi Patsy.

The neighbour moved now and didn't bring the cats.

First thing I did was to get the mother fixed. (four litter in one year).

If I want more cats there's always some homeless ones at www.samuidog.org

Only Mama, one big brother and the kittens left.

Mama has been very strict in chasing her babies away when a new litter is coming.

This time she might not do that.

The cats just comes and goes like they like.

If they want to go to the "toilet", I always have a small window open.

For the kittens I have some sand until they learn to go outside.

Sometimes some strays comes through the window for a meal if Mama don't spot them.

Had a stray that actually stayed for four months before moving on.

He was afraid of my wife and everybody else, but always came and laid down at my feet to be petted.

I met a friend of mine today who is in the same dilemma as me. His cat died a month ago aged 20!! Leaving his brother all alone. Now, they have gone OTT (in my mind) and have bought a Maine Coon kitten for 1,600 swiss francs which is about 900 english quid!!

He seems to think that they can make money breeding. And I just want a wee moggie.....!!!

I shall trawl the local cat rescue places tomorrow and keep you nice people up to date.

I remember 9 years ago that Jimmy actually moved in with me from a neighbours - so perhaps he will be sympathetic to a new member in the family!!

Some people just have money to throw away......