Runing My Own Server...

sajal

personally i'd host it in the states

i get the message loud and clear not to host website n mail using a thai ISP...especially if its a home package....

now ne solution for some storage at home or office? other than burnin on DVDs or something?

now that i dont need to host files or anything any cheap file server available in bangkok?

ive got a 80 gig for 5,500 very nice to cary around and its already full.

120 gig would be too unportable, would love to have some storage connected so i can dump files into it on the fly...im most on travel and not comfortable with the idea of carying around a 2 kilo extra...

home > 3 notebook users

office > 2 notebook + 2 desktops

all crying for diskspace.

even anything to connect the usb hard disk to the network as a network disk would be gr8(i dunno if its possible) the same like how a print server connect a usb printer to the network...

even anything to connect the usb hard disk to the network as a network disk would be gr8(i dunno if its possible) the same like how a print server connect a usb printer to the network...

There are SOHO storage servers that resemble a "broadband" router with one IDE disk and/or a USB2 port in them to act as a little fileserver. However, outside their niche "storage for dummies" market, they are not very cost effective. For the $200-500 they seem to cost, you could build up a capable, headless PC server and have the ability to add multiple large drives over time. Linux can make a cheap storage server and is probably what is running in the SOHOstorage appliances anyway.

There are SOHO storage servers that resemble a "broadband" router with one IDE disk and/or a USB2 port in them to act as a little fileserver. However, outside their niche "storage for dummies" market, they are not very cost effective. For the $200-500 they seem to cost, you could build up a capable, headless PC server and have the ability to add multiple large drives over time. Linux can make a cheap storage server and is probably what is running in the SOHOstorage appliances anyway.

which distribution?

will any ftp server sufice for storage?

i would like a folder on the server to be mapped as a drive in my system....is it possible?

[which distribution?

will any ftp server sufice for storage?

i would like a folder on the server to be mapped as a drive in my system....is it possible?

Assuming you have windows or OSX clients, the important bit is getting "samba" configured on the Linux storage server to export filesystems so that the windows clients can mount them. I've never used this myself, but have heard good things about it in general. See www.samba.org for more documentation than you can shake a stick at. Just browse the FAQs etc. You do not need to download it, as it comes standard in most Linux distributions.

Mind you, I would guess there is an equivalent easy way to do this with a Windows PC as the server, if that is more comfortable to you; I mentioned Linux because it is free and it is what I am familar with on PCs.

The real point of my post was that these SOHO storage appliances are not really worth their value in hardware; they're selling the convenience of the appliance and a web-configuration interface for low-volume use. You'll pay several hundred dollars for a tiny box w/ maybe an 80 or 100 GB disk. If you need more space over time, it is definitely cheaper to buy a small PC and be able to add several big 160, 320 GB etc. drives as the need arises.

Choosing a Linux distirbution is easy, in that there are so many good ones out there. The best advice is to try to use one that is used by some friends so that it is easier to pressure them into helping you later. :o