Australian Spouse Visa- Police Check Before Name Change?

Hello, I will be arriving in Thailand on the 17th November and want my fiance to get the police check and medical out of the way before I arrive in Country to tie the knot. I was wondering if after we get married and she changes her last name would it cause problems?

Dont change her last name until you return to Australia

• 1 month later...
Bump to what ???

The last and only answer was good?

Can you tell me why we should wait, easy to do in Thailand when she is in Country so why not? To just make a statement with no reason, doesn’t give me great confidence in the response.

To avoid any potential problems

My wife has been here for 2 years now and is going for her PR, she is still using her maiden name because changing her name halfway through the process could cause confusion between various departments, I think it is prudent to keep everything in one name.

Apply the KISS principle when dealing with Goverment departments.

I'm gonna disagree here - my wife changed her name once we arrived here - could have changed before coming as we were living in Thailand after we were married (in Australia).

After nearly 2 years in Oz she had to get her passport renewed and decided to get one in her married surname. Had to change it in Thailand, at the Amphur (we had to get Aus marriage docs translated etc first), then to MFA for the passport etc etc, then back in Australia all of our correspondence had to be changed, (employment, taxation, Immigration etc etc had to be changed to the new surname)

The first couple of times coming back to Oz we always got pulled at Immigration at the airport and have to explain it all. (no problems but a hassle when returning home)

So , from my experience, I'd say that if you are in Thailand, and getting married go and get it changed before starting the visa process both in Thailand and Australia.

Of course your wife doesn't have to change her name if she doesn't want to.

Good Luck

Thanks for the responses guy's, well my soon to be wife will be changing her last name when we get married in Thailand, just wanted to know if It should be done before or after the Police check, (trying to time everything to maximise speed of processing.) Anyway I’m sure with the translated name change documents there shouldn’t be any problem if she has the police check before her last name changes, Thanks again.

Yes it will be fine if you do it and change her passport etc after you marry and before the police checks and medical are done.

Once the checks are done it starts the visa process, to change her name after the police check and medicals could cause some problems, If you are running to a tight schedule then you may need to consider this.

We chose to wait till after the PR was issued as it is not an essential requirement in Thailand or Oz for the wife to change her name.

Edited by gburns57au

Yes it will be fine if you do it and change her passport etc after you marry and before the police checks and medical are done.

Once the checks are done it starts the visa process, to change her name after the police check and medicals could cause some problems, If you are running to a tight schedule then you may need to consider this.

We chose to wait till after the PR was issued as it is not an essential requirement in Thailand or Oz for the wife to change her name.

G'day Graham, I replied to you earlier in the day in regard to me living in Perth . I am finding this forum pretty helpfull and interesting.You seem to know a fair bit about all this and i was wondering if you could help me with a few questions.

I was wondering if I marry my girlfriend in Thailand does that automatically get her\us a visa to come out to Oz.

Also is it better to have her last name changed to mine when we get married? And does she need Police checks and medical check-ups after we marry to get a visa to Oz?

Sorry mate , i am a bit green about all this but we have stayed together only for about 5 months in Issan but are both the same age and fairly in love and can't stand being apart.If you can offer me advise or just answer my questions i would really appreciate it.

I will also figure out how to post my questions on the forum to hopefully get a few responces not because i would't believe another Perth guy's advise.

Warm regards

scott

Getting married doesn't entitle your wife to a visa...tho it may help you get one.

The name change doesn't matter, I personally think it makes it easier to change the name before starting the process or after its all over - as suggested above. Don't try to change it half way thru the process (this is assuming that you are trying to eventually get a permanent residency visa)

As for the rest it depends on what visa you want, I think anything more than short (3 month ) torist visa rquires medical and police checks.

Oh and I'm in Perth too!!! :)

G'day Graham, I replied to you earlier in the day in regard to me living in Perth . I am finding this forum pretty helpfull and interesting.You seem to know a fair bit about all this and i was wondering if you could help me with a few questions.

I was wondering if I marry my girlfriend in Thailand does that automatically get her\us a visa to come out to Oz.

Also is it better to have her last name changed to mine when we get married? And does she need Police checks and medical check-ups after we marry to get a visa to Oz?

Sorry mate , i am a bit green about all this but we have stayed together only for about 5 months in Issan but are both the same age and fairly in love and can't stand being apart.If you can offer me advise or just answer my questions i would really appreciate it.

I will also figure out how to post my questions on the forum to hopefully get a few responces not because i would't believe another Perth guy's advise.

Warm regards

scott

Hi Scott, SD is pretty much on the money.

There is no automatic right to a Residence visa just for marrying, in fact it wouldnt guarantee a tourist visa either.

I take it you are talking about a Temporary Resident visa after marriage in Thailand, as against a tourist visa. You will need to get the medicals and police clearance prior to lodging the application for the visa. The first document received by the Embassy starts the visa process.

There is no requirement for her to change her name, that is upto you and her, but as already mentioned, it may be better to do it before you apply for the visa or wait until the visa has been granted.

Hope that assists.

BTW, it would have been better to start a new topic and that way you would get better response in most cases.