How To Get Duel Citizenship For Son

How to get Duel Citizenship for my son.

I am UK citizen and been going to Thailand now for just over 5 years.

Married my Thai wife in Thailand and have all the paperwork.

Had our son in England Christmas 2008.

My wife just received Settlement Visa for UK

Son has UK passport and is currently in Thailand with his Mum on holiday and to get His Thai Passport.

Authorities notify my wife that he should get his Thai Passport back in UK by going to Thai Embassy in London????

Can anyone give me any direction or advice please……….

What Documents other than parents Passports and Sons UK birth certificate and why couldn’t my wife process it in Thailand…..

What is process for application for UK infant to get Thai Passport

Many Thanks ……………….

As he was born in the UK, only the Thai embassy in London is authorised to issue him with his Thai citizenship.

The embassy will issue him a Thai birth cerificate for a Thai child born outside the kingdom. The BC will be the important piece of paper which states his nationality as 'Thai'. You can apply for a Thai passport at the same time, which he can use to enter thailand the next time he comes.

Thai authorities in Thailand CANNOT issue him with papers, given he wasn't born within the country. Only the embassy back in the UK can.

How to get Duel Citizenship for my son.

I am UK citizen and been going to Thailand now for just over 5 years.

Married my Thai wife in Thailand and have all the paperwork.

Had our son in England Christmas 2008.

My wife just received Settlement Visa for UK

Son has UK passport and is currently in Thailand with his Mum on holiday and to get His Thai Passport.

Authorities notify my wife that he should get his Thai Passport back in UK by going to Thai Embassy in London????

Can anyone give me any direction or advice please……….

What Documents other than parents Passports and Sons UK birth certificate and why couldn't my wife process it in Thailand…..

What is process for application for UK infant to get Thai Passport

Many Thanks ……………….

Just been through the same process for my two (one born in the UK, one in Thailand).

Remarkably it was much, much easier for the one born in the UK, and yes we got the passport at the Embassy in London. There are some forms on their web site (in Thai) and it tells you what you need. I don't remember the exact details, but I think the child's UK birth certificate and ID and mother's ID. Both parents must go the embassy to sign the documentation in person. They send all of the paperwork to BKK, and will issue your child with both a Thai passport and Thai birth certificate. It takes about 4-6 weeks.

As to the child born in Thailand...ridiculously painful experience...and still not quite finished. He has a Thai passport now, but is still stamped on his English one...nearly there though!

Just been through the same process for my two (one born in the UK, one in Thailand).

Remarkably it was much, much easier for the one born in the UK, and yes we got the passport at the Embassy in London. There are some forms on their web site (in Thai) and it tells you what you need. I don't remember the exact details, but I think the child's UK birth certificate and ID and mother's ID. Both parents must go the embassy to sign the documentation in person. They send all of the paperwork to BKK, and will issue your child with both a Thai passport and Thai birth certificate. It takes about 4-6 weeks.

As to the child born in Thailand...ridiculously painful experience...and still not quite finished. He has a Thai passport now, but is still stamped on his English one...nearly there though!

To be honest, it isn't difficult in Thailand..actually quite painless.

I've got two daughters born here in thailand. Their birth certificates are automatatically issued, which states on it they are 'Thai' (just like your son's). You take that to the locall Ampur, and they register the child on the house papers (tabieen baan). By law, this must be done within 15 days of birth for a child born in the Kingdom. Then, if your child is travelling, you apply for the Thai passport, which if registered can be issued easily in three days. The child then can leave and return to Thailand on that Thai passport, and thus not be subject to any immigration rules.

Getting my daugthers Australian and NZ passports, well that is another issue, more paperwork needed than the Thai passport, thats for sure!

Edited by samran

I've got two daughters born here in thailand. Their birth certificates are automatatically issued, which states on it they are 'Thai' (just like your son's). You take that to the locall Ampur, and they register the child on the house papers (tabieen baan). By law, this must be done within 15 days of birth for a child born in the Kingdom. Then, if your child is travelling, you apply for the Thai passport, which if registered can be issued easily in three days. The child then can leave and return to Thailand on that Thai passport, and thus not be subject to any immigration rules.

Getting my daugthers Australian and NZ passports, well that is another issue, more paperwork needed than the Thai passport, thats for sure!

Not quite that black and white for us, actually. My son was issued a British passport by the BKK embassy and left the country on that (for 11 years).

The Chonburi issued birth certificate, it turns out now, did not have all of the fields completed, and the amphur of birth will not change it ("mai dai"). The tabieen baan entry we did not make until he was 11 - not impossible but time consuming. Actually the passport bit was easy (once we got to Bang Na) but the three months of messing around before that was like pulling teeth.

Now we just have to leave the country, by air as we were turned away after driving to Mai Sai... Still - least we are here...

Not quite that black and white for us, actually. My son was issued a British passport by the BKK embassy and left the country on that (for 11 years).

The Chonburi issued birth certificate, it turns out now, did not have all of the fields completed, and the amphur of birth will not change it ("mai dai"). The tabieen baan entry we did not make until he was 11 - not impossible but time consuming. Actually the passport bit was easy (once we got to Bang Na) but the three months of messing around before that was like pulling teeth.

Now we just have to leave the country, by air as we were turned away after driving to Mai Sai... Still - least we are here...

yep...11 years would make it a saga.

Thats right, leaving by air to do a passport swap is the only way to make it work. Just, as a tip, if when you come back a confused immigration officer looks at your sons Thai passport and asks 'how did he leave Thailand in the first place' just explain the situation.

If for some reason (unlikely) that he refuses to let your son come back in on his Thai passport (which is your sons right) insist politely to speak to a senior officer who will override him. Happens from time to time, but do stick up for your rights, and you'll be fine.

As he was born in the UK, only the Thai embassy in London is authorised to issue him with his Thai citizenship.

The embassy will issue him a Thai birth cerificate for a Thai child born outside the kingdom. The BC will be the important piece of paper which states his nationality as 'Thai'. You can apply for a Thai passport at the same time, which he can use to enter thailand the next time he comes.

Thai authorities in Thailand CANNOT issue him with papers, given he wasn't born within the country. Only the embassy back in the UK can.

THANK YOU FOR TIME AND COMMENTS ..... APPRECIATED ...... TERRY

• 2 weeks later...
The childs birth first need registering with a Thai Birth Registrar, and you need to be a signatory. Much easier to do at the Thai Embassy in London.

Becks, To get the Thai Birth Certificate, you will need a large 'official' paper UK BC, with both parents' names, NOT one of the little pocket ones. We mailed ours in, along with the Application, and did it all by mail.

---

This thread answers some of the questions I asked in another thread; I learned that Thai Citizenship will have to be done in Canada here; would not have thought.

But what is the advantage of dual, that the child will not have to border runs?

Also, is it possible to lose legal status as father in Thailand, being it is past the two weeks for registering?