Pattaya Water Shortage

snoophound

This from the pattayamail.

Imagine what 2 weeks of Songkraan is going to do?

All eight of Chonburi’s reservoirs are now below 50 percent capacity as drought grips the kingdom. Chonburi’s agricultural sector is suffering the most, and is already reporting losses of over 30 million baht, with no end in sight.

In order to prevent this important resource from being totally depleted, government officials are significantly reducing the amount of water being put into use, from 36,000 cubic meters per day to 24,000 cubic meters per day.

Regional water authorities are also in the process of transporting water from other, less water intensive areas to supplement the current levels in this area.

The East Water Co., Ltd, which is the main supplier for Pattaya, has received authorization from the Regional Water Board to transport water here from Sattahip.

East Water Co. is also constructing a 16-kilometer pipeline at a cost 190 million baht to facilitate easier transportation to Bangsaray and the southern border of Pattaya. The pipeline will add an extra 18,000 cubic meters of water per day to the region. Its expected completion date was not revealed.

During a meeting of senior Chonburi government officials last week at Pattaya City Hall, Preecha Kamolbutr, Chonburi deputy governor, said that the agricultural and industrial sectors are being hit hard by the drought. Farmers from various sectors have reported losses of 33,553,461 baht.

The deputy governor said that from November 1, 2004 to March 4 this year, farmers have been the most affected by the drought conditions with 41,691.5 rai of rice fields, 78,802.5 rai of general farming land, 1,516 rai of fruit and vegetable farms, 178.5 rai of fishing dams and 25 rai of livestock land having suffered severe losses, and at least 9 districts face a complete lack of water. Aid for residents has reached 1,158,159 baht.

Considerations are now in progress to allocate a budget to drill 401 bore water wells for consumers and farmers.

Does Songkan go on for 2 weeks in Pattaya? I though it started sometime after the 13th and ended on the 19th. I was planning on catching the tail-end of Songkran in Pattaya, which brings me to my other concern "traffic". Is it smooth sailing from Bangkok till you hit Pattaya city center? I might have to sneak in at 5 am or something.

Does Songkan go on for 2 weeks in Pattaya?  I though it started sometime after the 13th and ended on the 19th.  I was planning on catching the tail-end of Songkran in Pattaya, which brings me to my other concern "traffic".  Is it smooth sailing from Bangkok till you hit Pattaya city center?  I might have to sneak in at 5 am or something.

I think that it's just supposed to last for a week but, this being Pattaya, it will probably go on until the water runs out (and we have a shortage at the moment).

I've done the BKK-Pattaya trip in both directions, twice, recently. If you want a relatively traffic-free trip you will need to travel in the early hours. In the day, the expressway round the E side of BKK (Route 7 / 9) can get heavily congested, especially as far as the Bang Na interchange. The Chonburi expressway is usually not as bad but, once you get into the environs of Pattaya itself, you will find heavy traffic again. The Sukhumvit highway (Pattaya by-pass) is usually very busy and can get virtually grid-locked at weekends and holidays (like Songkran).

Have a good trip and watch out for all those motorcycles.

:o

The motorway always seems to be a better option than the expressway. There is allways a bit of congestion when you come off the expressway at Chonburi and have to contend with all of the trucks that have come off the toll free underneath part of the expressway where both sectors funnel into one. Also its a bit messy at Bang Na onto the expressway with all of the construction work where theyre joining the Chonburi expressway onto the Bangkok expressway.

190M for 16 km water pipe? Admittedly I don't know what it cost to put down such a pipe but with daily wages of 250 baht for workers it sure looks like someone is getting their pockets lined - as usual.

With a loss of 30M perhaps it would be cheaper to just take the loss?

Does Songkan go on for 2 weeks in Pattaya?  I though it started sometime after the 13th and ended on the 19th.  I was planning on catching the tail-end of Songkran in Pattaya, which brings me to my other concern "traffic".  Is it smooth sailing from Bangkok till you hit Pattaya city center?  I might have to sneak in at 5 am or something.

At 5.00a.m. you will have a clear run and arrive in pristine dry condition... :o

For that price it better be above ground and gold plated :D

Anyway, they whine about water shortage, yet, every year the water is gushing out of an broken pipe in Soi Siam Country Club. Happens for weeks every year.

Well, what kind of signal does that send? If the waterworks can't be bothered to fix their pipes I can't be $%^%# bothered to do any effort either!

:o

I see water-truck after water-truck outside Pethouse Hotel literally EVERY day as well on Pattayaland Soi 3. The same seems to be going on all over Pattaya--houses, guesthouses, hotels, etc.

The crisis is here--NOW.

One Question? All these new housing estates, condos, hotels, etc.? Nice to build them and "hope" to sell them.....but what happens when the "happy" new owners can't take a shower or flush the toilet in a few months?

Think about this infrastructure MEGA problem before you "buy the sizzle and NOT the steak!!"

Suggestion--Own property in Pattaya? Sell now while you can still get out with a profit! Purchasing Property? Wait for the Bubble to burst--literally thousands of used properties on the market---let alone all the new houses, and condos.

Bargain prices in 18 months--

Remember the economic collasp of 1997? Not just the currency, but the EASY credit for builders? Same is happening now---Low interest rates, easy construction loans----MARKET MAKERS ( shifty real estate brokers bidding up the prices)....an old story seen time and time again in every country.

Summation--Water is not the problem--Stupidity is !!!!

I see water-truck after water-truck outside Pethouse Hotel literally EVERY day as well on Pattayaland Soi 3. The same seems to be going on all over Pattaya--houses, guesthouses, hotels, etc.

My landlady has been buying water for our building since mid-December. Often has to get the roof tank filled 3 times a day. She actually bought a large plastic garbage pail for my bathroom, and phones me to let me know when the tank has been filled. Then I can fill the pail up and have a "Thai" bath.

Still, it's better than when I was growing up, chopping a hole in the ice, carrying water in pails through waist deep snow, I should have been a Shaolin monk !)

Ill think Sonkran will be split up in 3 days whit 1 day eatch of this places : Jumptien - Pattaya - Naklua . The water have always been a problem thru this festival. Also peoples behavior. Traffic are down around 0200 untill morning 0700. Remember years ago when Sonkran was going for 1 week or two , Just to much. For thoose who really wanna get wet and join soi 8 is a blast.. For thoose who dont do your shopping and prepare to stay in for some days. Whatever you do dont go out whit cameras , phones or other electrical / equipment who cant take a splash. Use plastic bags to wrap things in.. Sunnys will help you avoid prickly heat powder in your eyes.. Enjoy the ride. :o

i feel sorry (well, i dont really) for all the people that have bought property in this area in particular and thailand in general. pty has added in the last yr a minimum of 6k rooms -all with flush toilets and fancy a/c.

the ocean is unsanitary and raw ewage is STILL pumped into the water daily.

there are chornic shortages world wide so keep pumpin that CO2 into the air! water - the next 'oil' mark my words.

when have you ever known thailand to resolve a problem? the fix at best stabilizes an out of control situation. nothing is ever resolved in the country.

its ok because all the corrupt chinese have children in the west so after they have ruine the nation, theyll all just go live elsewhere -