English People, Whats The Difference Between An Indian Curry In The Uk And One In Thailand?

sbk

As per title, what makes an English curry different from one in Thailand? I had a lovely vindaloo last week but other than the very nice heat factor can't say it seemed that different (sorry, sacrilege I know, haha).

So, what am I missing? What should I be eating if not a vindaloo in order to get the authentic English curry experience?

English curries are the best in the world - everyone knows that.

Then Indian...

I've never had a good curry in Thailand (or Chinese or salt beef sandwich, but I'm going off track...).

You start with popadoms and mango chutney (very good mango chutney here), and a bottle of Kingfisher. Tiger is acceptable, just, if no Kingfisher is available.

Then you'd need a couple of chapatis and a buttered nan to go with your second Kingfisher.

Next, would be a vindaloo for the tough guys, or a chicken madras / jalfrezi for normal guys - I'm a wimp, as you know, and go for the biriani, with another Kingfisher (see the theme). Best to order an aloo gobi to go with your main course.

Lastly, you need a pistashio kulfi with your final Kindfisher.

Ahhh, fond memories...

(I bet when I get back to England the curries will be crap... :) )

Edited by jasreeve17

The typical English style Indian Curry from an Indian Restaurant is usually made a certain way that seems hard to replicate for some reason.

First the curry base is made from mainly Onions and some spices, This is used as a base for all the curries that will be made that night.

When a Vindaloo for example is ordered, it is started with the curry base and ingredients are added (tomatoes, spices, herbs), normally a Vindaloo or other very spicy curry is the same recipe as a madras but with an extra teaspoonful of chilli powder.

In the UK most of the Indian restaurants are actually owned by or employ Bengali/Pakistani people.

The most popular curries are;

Chicken Tikka Massala

Chicken Madras

Vindaloo (Phal or Szillat)

Korma

Then Indian...

I've never had a good curry in Thailand (or Chinese or salt beef sandwich, but I'm going off track...).

You start with popadoms and mango chutney (very good mango chutney here), and a bottle of Kingfisher. Tiger is acceptable, just, if no Kingfisher is available.

Then you'd need a couple of chapatis and a buttered nan to go with your second Kingfisher.

Next, would be a vindaloo for the tough guys, or a chicken madras / jalfrezi for normal guys - I'm a wimp, as you know, and go for the biriani, with another Kingfisher (see the theme). Best to order an aloo gobi to go with your main course.

Ahhh, fond memories...

Quote: "English curries are the best in the world - everyone knows that."

What is English curry? Perhaps you mean to say "Best curries are found in England"?

IMO, outside of India, the largest selection of curries, and arguably the best curries, can be found in Singapore.

I was attempting humour; hence the marriage of my first and last lines... :)

And, I have to agree with Brit again - have you been to Southall recently? Are you telling me those folk don't know how to cook a curry???

Or Brick Lane in the old East End of London.

My favourite was:

King prawn Phial (not sure how you spell it - its the hottest they do, so needs some sweet to help it down)

Sag Paneer

Sag Aloo

Bombay Spuds

Vegetable Biriyana (as a rice)

Mushroom Bajee

Vegitable Somosa X 6

Peshwari Nan X 2

Lhasi (spelling again - that lovely yoghurt drink)

Plenty of Kingfisher (beer) on draught

(This was for two of course - except the main and rice - whoever I was with would choose for themselves their own main/rice and share the rest)

Didn't need to eat for 2 days! God, making my tummy rumble.

Also Dosas - stuffed Rotti (all different kinds from thin crispy like gingersnaps to thick bready like peta) filled with savoury potato and vegetable curry. MMmmmmm.

For those in Chiang Mai there is a little place at the end of Soi 2 off of Keaow Nawarat Rd (behind Varee Chiang Mai Kindergarten) - they have a very limited menu and its not too spicy, but a good taste to it.

I used to work with a lot of Indians for several years - and still have many as friends - their home cooking is far removed from restaurant fare. A lot of it isn't very spicy at all - a lot of it is quite bland actually. They have this cold soup (ice cold) that is a watery chilli stock that hollow dumplings are dipped into - my friends all loved it - was too cold and salty for me, just tasted like sea water! South Indian cooking is spicy, but also often lacking in taste (though can be very hot!). I think the old Bangali Indian restaurant in the UK can't even be topped by its ascendant!

What is English curry? Perhaps you mean to say "Best curries are found in England"?

IMO, outside of India, the largest selection of curries, and arguably the best curries, can be found in Singapore.

Singaporean Indian Curries usually use Star Anise which IMO totally ruins the flavour. British Indian Curries are by far the best

For me, the main difference with British curry houses and those of many other countries, is primarily the competition (number of restaurants) which tends to raise the standards. Between the UK and most (maybe not all) of SE Asia, the quality of the produce is the deciding factor. Meat, particularly lamb, in the UK is normally lean and tender. Here (in Thailand), a bit of a joke, just bone, fat, tough meat swimming in watery stock. Bottom line, competition is what makes good food, coupled with knowledgeable customers.

Then Indian...

Ahhh, fond memories...

'English' curries are the best in the world. For English people anyway. They marry the spice of India with the English love of gravy. Chicken Tikka Masala is a UK dish. Apparently there are loads of English Indian restaurants opening up in affluent Mombai areas. I'd love this to be true but could cope if it wasn't.

In the UK, try the 'Balti Triangle' in Birmingham. Where 'the Balti' was invented, not the 'Balti'. English teachers pay attention! lol

Never had a really good curry here though. TBH, after good Thai food, Indian food is just too heavy and rich, the flavours too pungent. Daal, Saag aloo, Nan bread et al is just too much.

Went back to the UK in 2008 and was very disappointed with the fare served up in one of the most highly rated 'Indian' restaurants in London. Three of the curries could have been the same dish. (I wasn't eating alone :D

^I'm sorry Singers is no match for England.

I'd agree, even though the Banana Leaf in Singapore does some great food. The thing is the styles are so different. I always laugh when my Singaporean mates come over to the UK, the first meal will normally be a trip to the local curry house, and then the next day it'll be down to the Chinese take away for the chicken curry. I certainly miss the trip to my local curry house after a few beers.

The problem with the curryhouses here in Thailand and from what I have tasted in Pattaya is the fact that the chefs and owners have never been anywhere near the UK and try to either base what they serve up on the traditional Indian recipe which is nothing like a BIR curry, or just call a medium curry Chicken Tikka Masala in order to get us Expats to buy it, as it was invented in the UK and they havent got a clue how to cook one

As one of the previous posts said it's all down to the Base sauce with spices and other ingredients added at the last moment, I brought myself a book called "The Curry Secret" by Kriss Dillon years ago which is a good starting point to produce BIR style curries at home, there are websites as well that strive to perfect that Takeaway taste.

Another dissapointment here in Pattaya is the Expat reastuarants that sell curries, and also the couple of Expat food manufacturers that sell curries frozen in some of the supermarkets, they're overpriced and again nothing like the real deal.

The Bangladeshis took ahold of the curry house market in England in the 1960s. A small resturant. One big pot of sauce and grilled or fried meat and veg. As the years moved on we had the tandor oven. Which is basically a large clay bread oven. Heated with coals inside. I've never known a British curry house to be owned/ run by an Indian. Always Bangladishi for some reason. It is very easy to have a quality curry in Bangkok. Along sukhumvit there are hundreds of places. The reason some Brits prefer the curry back home I think that is mainly a nostaliga thing. Not to do with the actual food.

Now getting a good quality English style Chinese meal is another thing. I have found it to be almost impossible here.

I think this thread proves that 'curry' is one of those foods, like pizza or Mexican, that even reasonable people are never going to agree on, because we come to it with such different experiences and expectations. Do you want what you grew up on, or do you want 'authentic', i.e. back to the original source? If the former, in this case, then obviously Britain. If the latter -- the true Indian tradition -- then I'd say 1) Singapore/Malaysia, 2) India, 3) Britain.

I'd also rate Britain #1 at high-end gourmet fusion Indian -- places like Zaika and Amaya in London. But you will absolutely bleed money to get it.

The best indian food in the world is to be found in CALIFORNIA. Indians have told me this. Yes, we have no baltis, that is a problem.

BTW, by onion barges do you mean onion bhajis?

I understand the English mania for curries but I feel they are hankering after Anglo-Indian food in the same way that I crave really good American style Mexican food.

There is nothing wrong with this, but please don't tell people who like more Indian Indian food that their taste is deficient.

Edited by Jingthing

Chicken Vindaloo w/Pila Rice

Bombay Potatoes

Onion Barges

Nan Bread

Popodums w/sauces

Prefer Balti-House style - great flavors.

Also might consider having a good session on lager prior to doing a proper indian.

In England you spell it Popodams? As far as I know the spelled Papadams

My theory is that it is mainly the sideproduct of pubs being closed too early for hundreds of years. You know to get wasted you need to hurry and on final call order seven pints and drink them in half an hour before you are kicked out. Once outside, totally wasted and due to the fact you did not have time for dinner as you hurried to the pub straight from work you are hungry.

And we all know that when drunk and hungry anything you eat is the best tasting food ever. Doesn't matter what it is but i guess that time curry houses are only ones open thus the population has developed a special relationship with alcohol and curry.

Oh yeah, and it also wakes you up nicely and just in time for the fight !

The best indian food in the world is to be found in CALIFORNIA.

:):D :D :D :D

Dunno have to say yankland has the absolute worst indian in the world by far. Completely vile. :D

You OBVIOUSLY were in the wrong US cities and/or did not know where to go. The places I am talking about are the places the Indian engineers and entrepreneurs go, the ones with the big money, which attracts some of the best Indian chefs from guess where India (NOT Pakistian, not Bangladesh) in the world. You really don't know.

This sounds really vile to you, eh?

http://www.amber-india.com/MtnView/dinner_pop.htm

Yes I have eaten there several times. Their butter chicken which I know sounds boring, is to die for.

Edited by Jingthing

^Boring menu and Star of Asia would walk circles around that place. As I stated before this is run by real indians.... Sikh(s) I stay away from Paki or Bangladesh run restaurants, crap food and service is horrid.

Come back to me when you've had a real indian!! :)

Edited by britmaveric