Jobs For Australian Doctors

SheilaK

Hi everyone. I'm a first-time poster as I've been short-listed for a (non-medical) job in Bangkok but it doesn't seem too hopeful that my partner, a doctor, would find employment as well. Does anybody have any ideas on whether an Australian doctor who speaks no Thai would be able to work in a Bangkok clinic or hospital? He works in emergency medicine. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks, Sheila.

The requirements in Thailand to actually practice medicine requires the basic qualifying exams to be sat and that requires both fluency in speaking as well as basic writing in Thai.

There may be other alternatives; pm me and I can give referrals to companies who may be able to hire a physician in a non-practicing role.

FBN's right. AFAIK only one foreign doctor has actually passed the Thai medical exam and can practice medicine here (he works in Phuket). However there are alternatives, for example several foreign medical staff work in the 'international section' of some larger hospitals such as Bumrungrad & Samitivej. They tend to work in administrative roles such as patient & family liaison, dealing with foreign insurance companies, transferring medical records to patients home countries etc. There are also some international orgs with positions for medical staff. For example an acquaintance of mine (an Australian Dr) worked with IOM. I think it's a matter of being here and thinking laterally about where medical skills might be needed, even if they are not hands-on.

• 1 month later...
FBN's right. AFAIK only one foreign doctor has actually passed the Thai medical exam and can practice medicine here (he works in Phuket). However there are alternatives, for example several foreign medical staff work in the 'international section' of some larger hospitals such as Bumrungrad & Samitivej. They tend to work in administrative roles such as patient & family liaison, dealing with foreign insurance companies, transferring medical records to patients home countries etc. There are also some international orgs with positions for medical staff. For example an acquaintance of mine (an Australian Dr) worked with IOM. I think it's a matter of being here and thinking laterally about where medical skills might be needed, even if they are not hands-on.

and as Consultants. :)

Have you try to contact shevron?

As far as I know, they have one dcotor work offshore.

To be honest not sure at all if they need the thai licensed MD.

Could be a good choice for him.

I do not think the emergency doctor would like to sit and discuss the treatment options but needs to take action.

Sorry can not be more helpful.

Offshore locations in Thailand requires a licence to practice in Thailand. Chevron have their own medical department ( Thai physicians) since they took over the Unocal operations in the Gulf of Thailand.

Offshore locations in Thailand requires a licence to practice in Thailand. Chevron have their own medical department ( Thai physicians) since they took over the Unocal operations in the Gulf of Thailand.

Your statement is not quite true, I know of 3 doctors working offshore in Thailand who are not Thai, and are not western expats either, Also Unocal had their own medical department in Thailand, and it was Chevron that did not, they used SOS for their medical services until they took over Unocal and inherited their medical dept...

But to answer the OP question as regards working offshore for a Expat Doctor, forget it...try with SOS in Singapore.